Starfleet Veteran
The open map on New Romulus lends itself very well to a classic epic monster encounter.
WIth a weekly mission to beat it, with a very rare or epic loot drop.
A real raid, where you need multiple teams to succeed.

I am sure Trek has many existing monsters that would fit in.

My suggestion would this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dr3qjjLxn8

Make it a little bigger and scarier.

The beast from "Darmok" and you got something really epic.
Career Officer
# 2
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
I agree, New Romulus is missing an epic encounter that require all nearby players to band together and take down the zone-wide threat.

Maybe an assault on the staging area by wave after wave of Tholians or the Tal'Shiar? Attack by a giant mutant Epohh?
Rihannsu
# 3
11-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I am sorry but I think you people forget one thing.

We cannot even get 100% of the Ground Alerts, this hit Holodeck and for a month or two this is going to have the population to get that 100% on ground Alerts but when people move on in the Reputation system there will be less and less players, one day it might look like Defari with maybe 2 players in the whole place.

And for what?

You want want to take down a boss, go to a instance ... balanced for the number of players, not some LOL RANDOM!!!! that depends on actually being more that 5 people in the area to not dying every 5 seconds.
Career Officer
# 4
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Exactly, New Romulus will be abandoned in a few weeks, right now there is little to do there, red alerts and fetch quests got boring 1/2 through them the first time, don't go thinking peoplare are going to keep playing them for tiny amounts of marks for a long time, they realize it, go do something else and come back when they tier up or want to do the breeding mini game
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-03-2012, 02:46 AM
I am not talking about an instance people have to go to.

I mean a monster encounter right there in the open world instance.

And adding stuff like this is what should keep the zone interesting so that it does not get abandoned... at least not as quickly.

The zone needs more stuff that doesn't rely too much on Reputation Marks.

So an encounter like this, should reward the player a Title for beating it, an accolade for beating it repeatedly, and a chance for an epic loot drop.

And keep a little faith in players who just might play something because it's fun an challenge not because they have to to get some generic grind reward.
Commander
# 6
11-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Guild Wars 2 style dynamic event? heck yeah!
Career Officer
# 7
11-03-2012, 07:29 PM
This is something Cryptic has already implemented in Champions Online, so its technically feasible. And the zone needs something like this to keep things interesting.
Career Officer
# 8
11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I agree, so much potential that they could do.

Like in the mountains, get rid of some of those clickies and turn it into a Tal Shiar base and the boss is a Romulan Fighter that you got to defeat (somewhat similar to the Scorpion Fighter battle).

The Tholian Boss is an epic mecha fight.

In the Wilderness, have a random boss spawn that could drop stuff be used for unique foods that you have your chef cook (after unlocking certain Tiers), or something needed for Rare types of research.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Career Officer
# 9
11-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Why would the romulans settle on a planet that has epic enemies and their bases? It doesn't make sense... the whole tholian, hirogen thing is nonsense as well.
Lieutenant
# 10
11-03-2012, 09:20 PM
My fleet and I are in love with this planet.

What would make it perfect are the assaults on the staging area, and definitely a day/night cycle.