Captain
Anybody who's used pets knows they are suicidal. They facehug their targets right up to the point that the target explodes all over them. And it can be difficult/impossible to get them to run away from exploding ships quickly enough to escape, since they are frail little things and if they get tagged by any amount of splash they will probably bite the dust.

So why not just make pets immune to the warp core breach effect? It would be easier than rewriting their AI to detect and avoid exploding ships

This has no effect on how easy it is to get RID of them, for all you PVP people: you don't clear pets by exploding on them, you use Point Defense or Fire At Will, or Tractor Repulse or GW or PSW, etc etc. None of those would be affected. All it would do is make pets survive an event that they're too stupid to run away from.
Career Officer
# 2
11-03-2012, 08:01 PM
It's too hard to re-launch pets, so let's make pets even more resilient than they are.

I own a Catbox and do not approve of this change.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Commander
# 3
11-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Give me immunity to pets and we can talk.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4 Multi-Vector Pets as well
11-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I know they are stronger than the little bugs you are mostly talking about, but multi-vector pets are every bit as stupid when it comes to warp core breaches. Pretty lame to look back triumphantly on an exploding enemy, only to watch my Beta section fly right through warp core disaster. They can certainly be knocked out by warp core breach alone, and the cooldown to respawn is extremely long, making it even more devastating when they die due to an apparently inebriated conn officer.

I would be 100% in favor of making pets immune to warp core breach. A simple solution to an annoying problem.
Ensign
# 5
11-03-2012, 08:50 PM
or just make them fly away...i dont think explosion proof pets are the answer
Empire Veteran
# 6
11-03-2012, 09:05 PM
My pets died!!!! Oh noes!!!! Send out moar!!!! - Problem solved.
Captain
# 7
11-03-2012, 09:25 PM
How the hell do you send out more saucers, gamma sections, Ho'sus, Aquarius...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
# 8
11-03-2012, 09:29 PM
You know once a few months back they actually fixed that AI problem. We had a glorious week where our pets would fly away from warp core breaches. Sadly it broke in the next patch and hasn't been fixed since. So we don't actually need to give them immunity, just get the devs to fix the AI again.

Though giving all pets the Brace for Impact ability could be useful
Empire Veteran
# 9
11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
There is a reason they eject the warp core before they cook off.

Its deadly, violent and covers a large enough area to be really bad if your too close.

It should be. It is a matter/anti matter explosion after all.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 10
11-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
It's too hard to re-launch pets, so let's make pets even more resilient than they are.
More resilient? Pets aren't resilient at all. Except for the frigates, and *those* aren't really the focus here. More the problem is fighters, shuttles, drones, whatever you want to call them. They die in droves constantly. They would still die just as quickly to enemy action, not just to their own stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
Give me immunity to pets and we can talk.
The proposed change has no effect whatsoever on pet performance or survivability versus players, since there are no anti-pet strategies that involve dying on top of them. Everything that you currently do to take care of pets would continue to work the same as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
My pets died!!!! Oh noes!!!! Send out moar!!!! - Problem solved.
Except if you have a full complement of fighters out, that can represent a minute's worth of cooldown lost after every kill, for no good reason.