Career Officer
# 11
11-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99
- Raised costs for the DOff grinder. (They might as well remove it.)
Yes, I forgot about that one. For the cost they put on it, unless they're going to let me choose the exact specialization of the Doff I'll be getting, I'll never touch that thing again. I'm not risking throwing away 5 perfectly sellable blue Doffs and 5000 dilithium (was it?) for another purple Chef, Bartender, Refugee or Flight Deck Officer.
Reave
Survivor of Remus
# 12
11-04-2012, 10:30 AM
The Reputation system is flawed in the sense that the rewards do not reflect the investment of the player.

With this system it's like.....going to a restaurant,bringing your own groceries,cooking the food yourself and having to pay for the meal.And then they want you to leave a big tip for the owner and say 'Thank You'.
Commander
# 13
11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post
And it's kinda easy to add more things to this system without spending an obscene amount of ressources on it. For example for the Defera/Breen reputation they can just use the dailies and the invasion zone and 1 or 2 new events for Defera Marks and they are done. This allows them to advance repeatable "endgame" content while they focus most of their development ressources on "one-time" content like Featured Episodes that a large part of the player base wants. This way they can make both camps happy. It's solid ground work for the future.

Too bad people don't give them that time and instantly cry the game will be dead tomorrow.
Lol. I'm sure Cryptic is going to abandon their current content design model just to make us happy with freebie featured episodes.

They had a golden opportunity to do what you suggest in s7. They declined and overcomplicated everything when they coulda just made drop rates higher and threw us a few assignments to turn MKXI gear into MKXII. People are quick to praise this s7 rep system but forget how simply they could have fixed things by adjusting a number to something higher than 1%. So instead of getting like a 2% figure or a 5% figure, or maybe 60-100 chips per MACO/OMEGA/HONOR MKXII piece because that would have been a pretty good guaranteed system, you know they coulda done THAT but noooo, we get a guaranteed system that costs a lot of dilithium and a nice new shiny rep system to complicate things rather than design some real end game content for the game for a change. Brilliant.

Don't be shocked if they come out with yet another all new system to convert old currencies in season 9 or 10.
Career Officer
# 14
11-04-2012, 11:21 AM
They need more ways to earn Omega Marks, currently. There is tons of ways to earn Romulan Marks on new Romulus, but there isn't an equal way to earn Omega Marks. If they could balance this between different reputation factions, then it'd be good, I just don't want to see one side lopsided so much, as it is right now.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
11-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
- Higher personal marginal cost relative to new STFers in set acquisition for veteran folks who are partway through a set. Even more for a costume since that will require an additional project after acquiring a set. (To be clear: No one loses anything. But odds are that someone who is 2/3rds of the way through Mk XII would fare better in costume acquisition if Cryptic delayed this patch a couple of months.)
Then in a couple of months someone else is two thirds of the way, and so on. They have to cut it off sometime.

At least with this system there is a light at the end of the tunnel for obtaining decent gear.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Career Officer
# 16
11-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
They need more ways to earn Omega Marks, currently. There is tons of ways to earn Romulan Marks on new Romulus, but there isn't an equal way to earn Omega Marks. If they could balance this between different reputation factions, then it'd be good, I just don't want to see one side lopsided so much, as it is right now.
Outside of the STFs, you can earn Omega Marks on Defera and the Borg DSEs.

Last edited by azurianstar; 11-04-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Career Officer
# 17
11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravin View Post
Then in a couple of months someone else is two thirds of the way, and so on. They have to cut it off sometime.

At least with this system there is a light at the end of the tunnel for obtaining decent gear.
This is why I think they should have just awarded XP to people. Not FULL XP. But a head start.

This comes down to a vast philosophical difference I have with Cryptic.

I think they set out to make the best possible game for the largest number of players.

I think that's malarky from a business standpoint.

I think you should set out to create the greatest satisfaction in a broad spread of targeted groups of players, as resources permit. Disproportionate benefit across classifications of players in your target demo is suboptimal. Either a player is in one of your targeted demos or they aren't.

In my eyes, it's like Tim Hortons announcing that they're discontinuing decaff or Starbucks discontinuing soy or, in an extreme case, Pizza Hut switching to hamburgers. Because it benefits the most number of customers rather than best benefiting strategically targeted demographics.
Rihannsu
# 18
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
This is why I think they should have just awarded XP to people. Not FULL XP. But a head start.

This comes down to a vast philosophical difference I have with Cryptic.

I think they set out to make the best possible game for the largest number of players.

I think that's malarky from a business standpoint.

I think you should set out to create the greatest satisfaction in a broad spread of targeted groups of players, as resources permit. Disproportionate benefit across classifications of players in your target demo is suboptimal. Either a player is in one of your targeted demos or they aren't.

In my eyes, it's like Tim Hortons announcing that they're discontinuing decaff or Starbucks discontinuing soy or, in an extreme case, Pizza Hut switching to hamburgers. Because it benefits the most number of customers rather than best benefiting strategically targeted demographics.

it is simple. if they have a counter on how many times a character has done an STF, the char should be awarded with the ammount of marks.. then he could do the whole "ladder" quickly and instead concentrate on grinding through the STF's with another char..
Career Officer
# 19
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
They had a golden opportunity to do what you suggest in s7. They declined and overcomplicated everything when they coulda just made drop rates higher and threw us a few assignments to turn MKXI gear into MKXII. People are quick to praise this s7 rep system but forget how simply they could have fixed things by adjusting a number to something higher than 1%. So instead of getting like a 2% figure or a 5% figure, or maybe 60-100 chips per MACO/OMEGA/HONOR MKXII piece because that would have been a pretty good guaranteed system, you know they coulda done THAT but noooo, we get a guaranteed system that costs a lot of dilithium and a nice new shiny rep system to complicate things rather than design some real end game content for the game for a change. Brilliant.
Very much this.

If Cryptic genuinely wanted you to have a guaranteed way of obtaining the Mk XII sets they could have simply made them available for 60 or 80 EDCs per piece. The system's already in place to sell Mk X and XI for EDCs so this would have been a trivial change.

But they didn't - they put all that existing content that currently only costs you time (and rewards that time with Dilithium and loot) in a store - a store you have to pay to unlock.

And as regards the OP's comments, I have to say really? That's what you want? You want to spend a couple of months grinding marks and Dilithium and ECs and Doffs to unlock these stores only for Cryptic to add more of them so you can do it all again?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
# 20
11-04-2012, 12:25 PM
They do have a counter on STFS played do 25 infected for instance you get a medal accolade and title. So they do have the data on the players.

Awarding some marks for those who have accomplished such and such a number of STFs is a good idea as they have acknowledged some consideration for those who have played a number and got x amount of gear.

Last I knew they were wrapping your stuff in a storage box unlocked on the appropriate tier of research with a dilithium bonus.