Career Officer
# 1 Discharging ships
01-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I just discharged a ship on Tribble, bought a new one and renamed it to the name of the discharged ship, hoping that, by keeping the right (alphabetical) order, tray buttons and/or boff stations wouldn't get ALL messed up, on ALL ships. Alas, I was wrong.

I'm trying to avoid getting angry about it; but, honestly, I feel like I'm constantly walking against a wall of disdain when it comes to fixing simple (but far-stretching) bugs like this. My frustration about this is, in no small part, fueled by the almost certain knowledge it's purposely left broken, just so we'll buy extra slots. I get that.

Still, I'm trying once more: please do us the courtesy of finally fixing this.
Career Officer
# 2
02-04-2014, 01:10 PM
This is a bug that's annoyed me for quite awhile. Was hoping perhaps it'd been fixed but hadn't been brave enough to test it.

A LOT of bugs that have been around since before LoR have been put on hold it seems.
Career Officer
# 3
02-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
This is a bug that's annoyed me for quite awhile. Was hoping perhaps it'd been fixed but hadn't been brave enough to test it.

A LOT of bugs that have been around since before LoR have been put on hold it seems.
Yeah. Take the new Solanae ship, for instance: you need it to take off its warp core, but afterwards it's become obsolete, as Cryptic has a C-store version planned this month, with a tenth Console. So... you must trash it. But you can't, cuz Cryptic refuses to fix this bug.

Same with every upgraded Fleet ship I own: just can't get rid of the old one.
Captain
# 4
02-05-2014, 09:59 PM
How it works is this: Every ship you get is slotted into a specific order. Say you have the following ships, acquired in order from top to bottom:
USS Crap
USS Bad
USS Awful

Now, say you sack the USS Crap. Everything moves up. USS Bad will thus inherit the tray configs from USS Crap, and USS Awful ends up with the config of USS Bad, as everything moves up a slot. If you sack the USS Bad, on the other hand, USS Awful becomes USS Bad, but USS Crap is unaffected. Sacking the Awful has no effect on any of your other two ships.

Note that in the game, the ships will actually be listed in reverse order, because the alphabetical order does not correspond to the actual order of acquisition, which was C-B-A.

Power preset configs, on the other hand, appear to remain with the ship, but I haven't experimented with it extensively

So, if you acquired, say, an original C-Store ship, and subsequently acquire the Fleet version afterwards, and you sack the original C-Store model, the Fleet version immediately inherits the tray config, which is good. But, if, in the intervening time, you acquired a bunch of other trash ships, you have to get rid of all of them as well for this to work, otherwise all your trays below the sacked ship are hosed.

Of course, the entire "loadouts" thing could make the entire thing even uglier: Apparently, the only way to reclaim a loadout slot is to sack the ship...which you cannot do, with lockbox, fleet, or special event ships.

Last edited by doffingcomrade; 02-05-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
02-06-2014, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
How it works is this: Every ship you get is slotted into a specific order. Say you have the following ships, acquired in order from top to bottom:
USS Crap
USS Bad
USS Awful

Now, say you sack the USS Crap. Everything moves up. USS Bad will thus inherit the tray configs from USS Crap, and USS Awful ends up with the config of USS Bad, as everything moves up a slot. If you sack the USS Bad, on the other hand, USS Awful becomes USS Bad, but USS Crap is unaffected. Sacking the Awful has no effect on any of your other two ships.

Note that in the game, the ships will actually be listed in reverse order, because the alphabetical order does not correspond to the actual order of acquisition, which was C-B-A.

Power preset configs, on the other hand, appear to remain with the ship, but I haven't experimented with it extensively

So, if you acquired, say, an original C-Store ship, and subsequently acquire the Fleet version afterwards, and you sack the original C-Store model, the Fleet version immediately inherits the tray config, which is good. But, if, in the intervening time, you acquired a bunch of other trash ships, you have to get rid of all of them as well for this to work, otherwise all your trays below the sacked ship are hosed.

Of course, the entire "loadouts" thing could make the entire thing even uglier: Apparently, the only way to reclaim a loadout slot is to sack the ship...which you cannot do, with lockbox, fleet, or special event ships.

Thx for the detailed explanation! I will keep this in mind for the upcoming Solanae ship.

Or they could, you know, actually fix this one day!
Captain
# 6
02-06-2014, 07:53 AM
They could, but that would imply that the current setup is somehow broken, or that a fix, given that the exact mechanism is understood, would be desirable, since it would prevent a smooth and painless upgrade to a fleet ship in the above manner. It works according to a very consistent and predictable set of rules that makes perfect logical sense. That doesn't really seem broken.
Commander
# 7
02-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Dismiss a BOFF and all saved BOFF layouts are broken as well.