Ensign
So I've been flying around in my Kar'Fi for a week or so now and have a few hangar pet questions.

I like the little gifts my Orions bring me from time to time so I'll be keeping them, but the other slot is negotiable (using the Skuls it came with atm).

Recently came back to the game and joined a fleet with a buddy of mine (awesome super L337 three man fleet rawr) and without thinking I dumped all my dil into fleet missions (and a little zen) to get caught up.

So I have enough again to pick up some advanced pets and before I drop the dil on them would like some input on them.

Which is the best all-arounder for the other slot?

Frigate seems interesting but when I need lead downrange because I've gotten aggro again are they going to be useful? Even if it's just getting attention long enough for me to rep up a bit.

Or should I go for the advanced BoP? I liked my generic ones on my Qu'Vov well enough.

Not really looking at the advanced Skuls or other ones, but should I?

Really enjoying this ship though and figured it was time to look at the advanced variants.

Or is the upgrade so minor that it doesn't really matter?

Thanks,

Jorm

Oh, and I have no intentions of getting the romulan rep scorpions as long as they have that damage type unless someone brings some info to the table showing them being worth the stupidly massive material cost.
Captain
# 2
11-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Just got my Kar'fi, and been playing around with these frigates a bit: they are awesome.

Apart from that, I'd recommend looking at their various wiki entries here: http://www.stowiki.org/Category:Hangar_Bays
Some upgrades are pretty massive, while other pets gain smaller upgrades, in my opinion. Not all the info is up to date, so maybe crossreference ingame, but it'll give you a general idea.

Nota bene: the BoP's will only work with the Vo'Quv, so those are out for the Kar'fi.

Me? I'm aiming for the advanced Fer'Jai's, after that, maybe some advanced slavers, for the contraband (though they'd need to steal 300 contraband to pay for themselves, lol).

Edit: this post also gives a breakdown of their abilities/equipment: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=269208

Last edited by twam; 11-22-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-22-2012, 08:29 AM
The advanced frigates are very nasty - I fly the Vo'QUv and use the advanced BOPs(well worth the dilithium), which function as torpedo launchers to all intents and purposes (damage from their energy weapons is underwhelming), the advanced frigates get much nastier weaponry (tricobalt torps & mines + chroniton torps) and the ability to actively debuff enemies with aceton beam.

I've flown quite a few elite STFs with Karfi pilots using the advanced frigates, and wouldn't hesitate to equip them if I ever get a Karfi. Try running the regular (EC) frigates, and if you like them, you can upgrade to the advanced dilithium versions with confidence.
Commander
# 4
11-22-2012, 09:53 AM
yes, as a kar'fi pilot, those little buggers are amazing. well worth the cost.
Captain
# 5
11-22-2012, 03:16 PM
i read somewhere that the frigates with the aceton beam, despite the long weapon/ability list, are very low on the dps spectrum. The suicide fighters are according to some dmg loggs i have seen the highest DPS pets.
but despite that i still use the frigates, the damage reduction from aceton beam and the occasional tricobald explasion has its benefits.
Go pro or go home
Republic Veteran
# 6
11-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Definitely go with the advanced frigates...they are awesome! By far IMO the best part of a Kar'fi!
Empire Veteran
# 7
11-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
i read somewhere that the frigates with the aceton beam, despite the long weapon/ability list, are very low on the dps spectrum. The suicide fighters are according to some dmg loggs i have seen the highest DPS pets.
but despite that i still use the frigates, the damage reduction from aceton beam and the occasional tricobald explasion has its benefits.
All hanger pets are generally low on the dps scale, regarding energy weapons

And while those do little, the Fer'Jai Frigates's chroniton and transphasic torpedoes do their job well: Slow and Disable Plus, the heavy transphasic rifts they occasionally use do FAR more than other hanger pets can hope to do. The other abilities are just pluses.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Captain
# 8
11-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
All hanger pets are generally low on the dps scale, regarding energy weapons

And while those do little, the Fer'Jai Frigates's chroniton and transphasic torpedoes do their job well: Slow and Disable Plus, the heavy transphasic rifts they occasionally use do FAR more than other hanger pets can hope to do. The other abilities are just pluses.
yeah, agreed. it is the utility of the frigate...even if it does less dps as other hangar pets. No other pet is so versatile.
Go pro or go home
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
11-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Here's what the Fleet I'm a part of has to say about the Kar'Fi's Unique Hangar Craft:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phoenix Vanguard
The Frigates for the Kar'Fi are some of the toughest pets alive and have the distinction of using Aceton Beam and dropping Tricobalt Mines. This is rather nasty and if you can manage to knock out enemy shields and get them to take some mines they will go away fast. However, the Frigates fail to focus fire on any given Facing and as a result are generally a weak pet for any real damage. The Skull Fighters are a whole different tale. They are THE BEST pets in the game as they DO focus on a single facing and hammer it with utter glee before using Ramming Speed to SLAM into the enemy ship for some truly painful results.
So, I'd definitely stick with the Skull Fighters if I had a Kar'Fi.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"Close Air Support covereth a multitude of sins." - Maxim 4, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
Career Officer
# 10
11-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I love the Kar'Fi carrier (and the Vo'Quv) but really dislike the Skul Fighters.
They are great little bugger for causing damage, but keep getting themselves killed. Its no fun when you send all of your little devils to attack a new target, just to realize you only have about 3 left alive because the rest crashed into the nearest enemy.