Ensign
# 1 Tac Bortasqu build
03-10-2013, 08:32 PM
What is the best build setup for the tac bortasqu for a tactical captain?

I need some advice because I keep dying too quickly....
Empire Veteran
# 2
03-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitaly5179 View Post
What is the best build setup for the tac bortasqu for a tactical captain?

I need some advice because I keep dying too quickly....
Without knowing what you are using I can explain a little bit how you are dieing so much/why it being used has died off like most flavor of the month ships do.

First thing is a lot of people try to use all 3 consoles which for being in a ship pack the KDF got so hosed because it takes 3 out of 10 console slots to use the 3 out of 3 set for it. So what newer players end up doing is sacrificing engineering. Basically though for an all around setup you could try the Ablative, Tetraburnium, Neutronium for a flat resistance against most weapon types to not have to keep switching around for engineering consoles. The other option is putting all neutroniums for a flat resistance vs kinetic and all energy types. One of my personal favorites is 1 neutronium and then for disruptors/phasers= diburnium, plasma/tetryon = Electroceramic, and then polaron/antiproton = parametallic engineering consoles if you want high damage resistance in one of those to maximize damage resistance when you know everything shooting at you is going to be using the same thing like pve npcs.

In most cases though when it comes to this ship people may just use one of the set consoles, none at all, or just pick something more worthwhile. I hate to biased when it comes to this ship but i rarely ever use it since its just not something I would ever recommend to another player unless they change how it functions especially since the set effects are so crappy and off the bat they gave feds an ungodly amount of counters against it.
Ensign
# 3
03-13-2013, 05:39 PM
What BOFF abilities should I be using and what DOFF's should I have?
Career Officer
# 4
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
The Bortasqu is a silly ship.

You have to do silly things to it in order to make it work.

Tinker with your build until you find something that makes you laugh every time you take it into battle, and then you'll know you've done it right.

Not knowing you're building for I can't give you any other advise than that. But if you plan to take it into PvP, The only way to survive is to kill the other guy first.

With five Tac consoles and that disruptor autocannon, the Bortasqu hits like a runaway train. The problem it also handles like a runaway train.

One BOff skill you MUST have on this (or really on any cruiser or battlecruiser) is Auxiliary to Inertial Dampeners (Aux2Damp or AtD for short.) Using that plus Evasive Maneuvers and attack patterns (and occasionally pulling the throttle to full reverse) will go a long way to helping keep your target in your fore arc.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Ensign
# 5
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm building for heavy DPS. Generally I don't PVP. I do a lot of STF's and other reputation missions as well as dailies for dilithium.

Also, from what I've seen the autocannon seems pretty useless, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Empire Veteran
# 6
03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Quote:
I'm building for heavy DPS. Generally I don't PVP. I do a lot of STF's and other reputation missions as well as dailies for dilithium.

Also, from what I've seen the autocannon seems pretty useless, but correct me if I'm wrong.
No such thing as useless. Nearly useless things exist in this game, but most anything can have a usage.

Consider the Bortasqu to be a giant siege weapon, designed around taking out a huge, sitting target. It's not fast, it's not agile, but it can hit, HARD. The Autocannon as such, is the 'trebuchet' of it, so to speak.

When properly buffed by consoles, added crit chance from various sources, and then super-buffed by a tac (if applicable), it can rip off up to half of a Borg gate or Tac cube's life in moments. Very very slow to 'reload' true, and it's all one big ole' blaze of glory, but it can be a truly tremendous blaze indeed.

Career Officer
# 7
03-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Quote:
For PvE I use a hybrid DHC/Torpedo build. I drop the whole Bortasqu console set in my engineering slots (mostly for the extra tactical buff from the set bonus, but the subspace snare and the HoH'sus BoP are pretty handy when fighting packs of frigate NPCs.) With the Zero-Point Energy Conduit in the other eng space and the Rule 62 console in the sci slot. I find the Bortasqu is tough enough to soak damage from any NPC without console upgrades - unless I'm doing eSTFs - then the subspace snare and the Bop goes out for electroceramic hull plating and monotanium. Depending on my torpedo/cannon balance I'll either load all disruptor coils (I use mk XI blues because I'm stingy with EC - but not real money, weirdly) or split 3 DICs and 2 of whatever torp/mine class I'm using.

On some STFs like the one with the gate (I can't remember what that one's called - they blur together at this point) I use two quantum torpedo launchers forward for optimal long-range damage. My general PvE build has torpedoes fore and aft, mines to clear my baffles, 2x DHCs, 1 SC, and 2x turrets, (I use polarized disruptors because I pulled a lot of them out of Temporal lockboxes while hunting for DOffs.) I alternate my torpedoes depending on what I'm hunting. Heavily-shielded targets get rapid-fire transphasics and sometimes the Breen cluster; sometimes I use Omega and/or Rom Hyper-plasma, but I find Quantums work well on pretty much anything. I usually use the KHG set unless I'm using transphasics - then I go with Breen Sub-Zero.

As for BOff layouts - it's a toolbox. You use the best tools for the job at hand. As I said above though, I never go anywhere without Aux2Damp. And 90% of the time I leave the same tac BOff in my LCdr uni station with TT1, CSV1, APO1.

BTW all this is on an Eng. captain with no space traits and no BOffs with any space traits. (Gen. Ssharki is distrustful of telepaths so he allows no Letheans on his bridge.) Your results will vary.

Ensign
# 8
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Right now I am running the mkxi honor guard but eventually I'm gonna shell out for a mark xii set. Which one is the best for survivability.
Career Officer
# 9
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Right now I am running the mkxi honor guard but eventually I'm gonna shell out for a mark xii set. Which one is the best for survivability.
For survivability probably the best combo is the KHG engines and shields with the Adapted KHG deflector.

I don't have any Adapted KHG gear yet but my fed alt has started using the MACO equivalent of that combo (Adapted engines and shield, MACO deflector) in STFs and even at Mk XI its very solid.

Captain
# 10
03-14-2013, 11:23 PM
There are some great points above for this bundle of ships. I personally prefer the 5 Tac variant. The only useful item that comes with the ships / bundle is the Disruptor Autocannon.

This ship isn't that popular in PVP, though we do see it time to time. And making a Decloaking Alpha Strike with that big cannon is devastating. With the sluggish turn rate, it takes alot of preparation before the fight to even set this ship up right. RCS consoles and the BOFF skills mentioned in earlier replies in this thread. It also takes patience, it's an art form almost in setting this monstrous beast up for a proper decloaking strike.