Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Captain
One thing I think needs to change artistically at Starfleet Academy is the Commandant. The Comandant of the Academy needs to be at least a Rear Admiral Lower Half. As it is now, he only has a commander's pips. In TNG, when Admiral Gregory Quin wanted to promote Picard to Admiral and have him take over as Commandant of the Academy, he made it sound like being an Admiral was a prerequisite for the position. And we were later introduce to Admiral Brand, who was the Commandant. I'd redo his uniform as such: SFA uniform. Red (A6) torso and pants stripe. Black shoulders. Gold (C12) dividing stripe. All Good Things combadge with gold backgroung geometry and silver delta symbol. Gold Rear-admiral's rank insignia.

It shouldn't be that difficult a change. Not only would it grant the NPC an appearance of greater authority with the rank increase, but the different color style of the uniform, closely resembling a TNG officer's uniform rather than a Cadet or instructor's uniform would make him stand out as unique.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Career Officer
# 2
11-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I just wanna know why the poor Guy has to share his office with his secretary?

And why the devil is his secretary in the middle of the room instead of near the door...??

The poor Guy probably has to answer his own communications too!

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 11-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Captain
# 3
11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I just figured that it was a filing clerk, not the secretary. And really, the Commandant occupies more of a staff member's lounge than just an office.

I'd give the clerk a similar uniform to the Commandant, except let the CLERK be a commander and his top would not have the gold dividing stripe. It would be black like the shoulders. Again going for that officer's uniform approach.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Captain
# 4
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
He should have a secretary though. Schools have tons of paperwork.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 5
11-02-2012, 09:02 PM
The academy rank is more symbolic than official, just like a lieutenant is "Captain" of a ship he is commissioned to command even though his actual rank is much lower. The commandant of the school could be a retired admiral or a detached commander, his is the "ultimate" command of the school but that is where his authority ends, since he is not on "active" duty he would not be able to issue orders to a line officer who is on active duty, said officer is not in his chain of command. It really wouldn't matter if the commandant is an admiral or a commander or even a civilian since his authority begins and ends with the school.
Captain
# 6
11-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
The academy rank is more symbolic than official, just like a lieutenant is "Captain" of a ship he is commissioned to command even though his actual rank is much lower. The commandant of the school could be a retired admiral or a detached commander, his is the "ultimate" command of the school but that is where his authority ends, since he is not on "active" duty he would not be able to issue orders to a line officer who is on active duty, said officer is not in his chain of command. It really wouldn't matter if the commandant is an admiral or a commander or even a civilian since his authority begins and ends with the school.
Well, yeah, that's true, but in the case of Star Trek, it's always been shown to be an Admiral. Retired or not, he should have the correct rank.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 7
11-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Yes. We actually met the Commandant of the Academy once, in the episode "Paradise Lost." He was a two-star (RAUH in STO terms).

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unna...emy_commandant
Rihannsu
# 8
11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Since it's wartime perhaps most of Starfleet's Admirals have been sent to combat related posts.

Interestingly, after doing some quick research there are two senior officers at SFA in Star Trek Lore. The Commandant, and the Superintendent, in both cases these officers were shown to be of Flag Rank. But if we look at the real life US Navy Academy currently the Superintendent is a VADM while the Commandant is a Captain, over its history the Superintendent has ranged from Commander to Admiral (Four Star), and the Commandant has ranged from Lieutenant to Rear Admiral (Incl. one Colonel). Since Starfleet is patterned on the US Navy is many ways its within the realm of believability for the current SFA Commandant to be a Commander.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Commander
# 9
11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
STO has some issues with ranks on it's NPCs in general.

For example, the first station commander of Starbase 114 identifies himself as a Commander, but when you beam down to see him, his uniform has no rank at all. Then, in the patrol mission, the new commander has a rank of Ensign.

There are some more that I can't think of at the moment, but it's a glaring issue when you encounter it.
The account formerly known as C_Carmichael
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack. I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey