Lt. Commander
# 1 Conflicted about next mission
11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Ok, so I need some advice from my fellow authors.

I've been working on part 3 of my series, and the main body of the mission takes places on a colony planet going through a major storm. I came up with the plot for this mission a while ago, but with what's happened after Sandy I'm conflicted about whether I should go ahead with it or come up with something else. The storm is significant to the mission but not the overall plot line, and I think I could switch it to some other natural event but it would be more difficult.

I would like your opinions, is it too soon or should I carry on as planned since the circumstances are very much different.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Captain
# 2
11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
The great thing about life on Earth is that something horrible is going on some place or other pretty much all the time. If the theme of your mission is making fun of disaster victims (which would be weird) then I would say yes, wait on that. Otherwise I don't see why there should be a problem. ST has a long history of drawing upon current events in its plot lines. Context is, as ever, king.
Lieutenant
# 3
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't see a problem, i mean I played a mission made in honour of the people who died and were made homeless during the floods in Australia. (they even set it in Australia)
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
11-05-2012, 03:47 PM
A friend of mine made those missions. He was smack in the middle of those floods.

I say go for it. Star Trek has always been about examining the present through the lense of the future. Just be sure to be respectful, obviously
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.