Captain
We have seen the introduction of [ARC] modifier when the 180 degree torpedo was put in.

How about building on that?

[ARC] modifier = arc/range/refire modification

+ARC modifier = widens firing arc at the expense of range and longer refire times.

-ARC modifier = narrows firing arc and gains shorter reload times (heavy torpedoes = faster flight speed, dual cannons = fires more bolts per burst)

For example, a photon torpedo with +ARC x3 would gain 360 degree firing arc.. but its range would be limited to 2km and +3 seconds to refire.. +ARC x2 = 270 degree arc, 5km range, +2 seconds to refire time. Arc x1 = 180 degree arc, 8km range, +1 second to refire time. NO arc modifier = standard weapon arc/range/refire we use now.

You get the idea.

[Pwr] modifier = Power cost

This modifier decreases the power cost of energy weapons per shot.

[YLD] modifier = Warhead Yield.

This modifier is different from DMG and others. It increases the damage area the projectile weapon generates when it hits. A Tricobalt for example would have its 1km blast range increased to 2km when its [YLD]x3 . Projectiles with no blast radius that inflict an effect have the effect inflicted up to 1km radius when under YLDx3 (aka chronitons for example).
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Commander
# 2
11-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I like [YLD] and I like [PWR], though I think [PWR] should probably be called [EFF] (efficient) instead, because I think that more accurately describes what it does.

I only have two concerns:

1. I'm not sure that [ARC] would work well. I could see [ARC] being added simply as its own modifier, without the range reduction, but probably at a smaller extension. So for example, each [ARC] might add 10% to the weapon's arc. A cannon would then jump from 45 degrees to 50 degrees, a beam array from 250 to 275, and a torpedo launcher from 90 to 100 (ideally it would round neatly). The drop-off in range like that just seems like something that wouldn't be easy to implement in the system and also somewhat inefficient.

2. The only issue I have with [YLD] is how it would work with other torpedoes, like photons. Would you just... not use it? Alternatively, you could make [YLD] increase the torpedo's special proc. So, for example, Chronitons with the [YLD] modifier would have instead of a 33% chance of reducing target flight speed and turn for 10 seconds, they might have a 50% chance of reducing target flight speed and turn. Transphasics with [YLD] would have instead of 40% shield penetration, 50% shield penetration. Something like that. Not sure what you'd do for quantums and photons. For photons it could make them reload faster, perhaps, and for quantums it could make them move faster to target, perhaps.

I would probably set it up like this:

Photon: Decrease reload speed by 0.5 seconds per [YLD] modifier.
Quantum: Increase projectile speed by 100% per [YLD] modifier
Plasma: Increase chance to trigger DoT effect by 17% per [YLD] modifier
Transphasic: Increase shield penetration by 10% per [YLD] modifier
Chroniton: Increase chance to proc by 17% per [YLD] modifier
Tricobalt: Increase area of effect by 25% per [YLD] modifier

Last edited by squishkin; 11-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Captain
# 3
11-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I could support stuff like this.
Captain
# 4
11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
2. The only issue I have with [YLD] is how it would work with other torpedoes, like photons. Would you just... not use it? Alternatively, you could make [YLD] increase the torpedo's special proc. So, for example, Chronitons with the [YLD] modifier would have instead of a 33% chance of reducing target flight speed and turn for 10 seconds, they might have a 50% chance of reducing target flight speed and turn. Transphasics with [YLD] would have instead of 40% shield penetration, 50% shield penetration. Something like that. Not sure what you'd do for quantums and photons. For photons it could make them reload faster, perhaps, and for quantums it could make them move faster to target, perhaps.r
Considering [DMG] doesnt affect High Yield or Spread shots, [YLD] could affect those.
Career Officer
# 5
11-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Range [RNG]: a beam and torpedo only modifier that allows for greater than 10km engagements. [RNG]x3 would allow a cruiser (for example) to fire on ships 15km away.

Rapid [RPD]: a cannon and torpedo only modifier that allows for a faster reload/firing cycle. [RPD]x3 would shorten the firing cycle of cannons by .75 seconds.

just my thoughts on mods this game could use...
Commander
# 6
11-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
Considering [DMG] doesnt affect High Yield or Spread shots, [YLD] could affect those.
So sort of like increasing damage of high yield/torpedo spread for photons and quantums? Interesting, that could work well.

I also like Rapid, I could see that working on every kind of weapon. You'd probably want to tinker with it so that it doesn't do more damage than [DMG], for example, so just tinker with the cycle speed instead of the DPV and get the same DPS.