Starfleet Veteran
Many of us have played the new Into the Hive STF on Tribble.

It has a space part at the end which serves well enough as a climax, it has a short ground part which is a boss battle for the most part, but what it lacks is any kind of lead-in story or set up.

I found this most disappointing. YOu just beam right into the middle of the most inner sanctum of the Borg without any explanation on why and how. All you get is "Here we are, there's the Queen, kill her!"

I don't expect any kind of update from Cryptic to add a beginning of this story, but I thought maybe the Foundry community can remedy that.

The challenge would be to write a mission that leads up right to that moment where we beam into the Queen's antechamber.

The winner could be spotlighted and declared the "Official Into the Hive prequel story".

What do you think?
Captain
# 2
11-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I haven't played "Into the Hive." Is it really like that? Doesn't make much sense.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I haven't played "Into the Hive." Is it really like that? Doesn't make much sense.
Well, there is very minimal exposition that comes down to "to defeat teh Borg once and for all we must destroy the queen", i guess that qualifys as why we are there, but not how and i still wouldn't call that a plot.

As a boss encounter it is quiet good, but doesn't satisfy the role player in me.
Captain
# 4
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
Well, there is very minimal exposition that comes down to "to defeat teh Borg once and for all we must destroy the queen", i guess that qualifys as why we are there, but not how and i still wouldn't call that a plot.

As a boss encounter it is quiet good, but doesn't satisfy the role player in me.
Check out the mission in my sig. Not much of a story there, but I've been getting lots of reviews that say it's better than "Into the Hive."

But, it's not a prequel to "Into the Hive." Good luck with a contest here.
Rihannsu
# 5
11-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Actually, there is a space counterpart now. They put the ground part up before the space, but they did eventually put up both.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Actually, there is a space counterpart now. They put the ground part up before the space, but they did eventually put up both.
Yeah, but the space part happens AFTER the ground part. It is just an extension of the fight with the Queen.

I still don't know how we even got into the complex
Career Officer
# 7
11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post

Haven't you heard? Cryptic doesn't do story anymore. The strongest aspect of the game, the storyline missions, just aren't even worth their time. Now they just want to create replayable content. It's not surprising that this lack of story extends to even that content.

It's ironic though because at one time we were told that their staff writer was focused only on storyline (probably was never true). Last we heard she was editing text on doffs and stuff. I hope she's getting paid well for that sort of mundane work.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Haven't you heard? Cryptic doesn't do story anymore. The strongest aspect of the game, the storyline missions, just aren't even worth their time. Now they just want to create replayable content. It's not surprising that this lack of story extends to even that content.

It's ironic though because at one time we were told that their staff writer was focused only on storyline (probably was never true). Last we heard she was editing text on doffs and stuff. I hope she's getting paid well for that sort of mundane work.
Hence me suggesting letting the awesome Foundry community create a mission to serve as a lead in for the climax battle aka STFs.

The only part Cryptic would have to do, is legitimizing the winner as official.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
11-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Actually been working on a two-parter that would serve as a good lead-in to Into the Hive... but I've got my own climax to the story in mind, so no dice! lol
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Rihannsu
# 10
11-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post

That doesn't really surprise me. But... Let's face it.... most actual story missions get played once then forgotten... the only exception is if people really want the loot.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.