Rihannsu
While browsing the forums I'm noticed that certain Captain and BOff abilities get trashed and never seem to find a use, either by just not being effective or being poorly balanced. I would like to put forward some of my thoughts, so that a discussion of these can be started will the goal of giving Cryptic ideas on how to fix them. Keep in mind that these are only ideas and probably need tweaking to actually work for us in game, were they to be implemented.

Major Changes:

Jam Sensors: replace the placate with a perception debuff (duration scaling with rank, magnitude scaling with Aux). Single target. Cleared by Sci Team. Allows ships to reduce threat they may acquire and or avoid damage from buffed targets.

Scramble Sensors: reduce target's StealthSight and Accuracy (duration scaling with rank, magnitude scaling with Aux). 3km AOE. Cleared by Sci Team or Eng Team. Interfere with ship's targeting and allowing cloaked ships to move closer to potential targets, aids cloaked get-aways.

Photonic Officer: boost science resistances by significant amounts (duration scaling with rank, magnitude scaling with Aux). Self-targeting or single Target ally. Photonic crewman works to counteract debuffs placed on ship.

Tractor Beam Repulsors: reduce damage component to just enough to kill spam, perhaps using a multiplier like Point Defense System console. Reducing damage causes this power to used for CC and spam clearing, removes incentive for inexperienced players to use for damage and reduces absurd shield ignoring damage from NPCs.

Tachyon Beam: Transfer all shield drain to targeted facing, e.g. instead of draining all shield by x, only drain shield facing you by 4x. Improves shield drain to levels that are actually threatening.

Charged Particle Burst: replace shield drain with shield redistribution to random facing, keep other effects. (rate of transfer scales with rank) Provides counter to double Tac Teams on high shield cap ships.

Aceton Beam: increase power drain when firing weapons, moderate DOT scaling with target's weapon power level. (magnitude scaling with rank) Single target. Cleared by Hazard Emitters. Causes target to have little weapons power while attacking, damage if they don't drop power levels.

Boarding Party: replace shuttles with transporters, limited range. same effects as current (number of transporter boarding waves scales with rank) Single target, 3km range. Cleared by Tac Team. Removes one counter to ability with too many counters, same effectiveness once on target.

Minor Changes:

Dispersal Pattern: Alpha: change deployment mechanic to launching all clusters at once, placing one cluster at ship's aft and throwing additional clusters to the aft, e.g. 1 cluster at ship position, 1 cluster at 1km back and 1 cluster at 2 km back, all launched simultaneously.

Go Down Fighting: must be under 50% health to activate, same magnitude.

Sensor Scan: reduce Damage Resist debuff, add Shield Damage Resist debuff. add scaling effects with Starship Sensor skill

Miracle Worker: allow to target allies. Same effectiveness.

Please comment on these changes and suggest your own. We need to let Cryptic know that these abilities and others need updating, but let's keep the anger and whining to a minimum please.
Captain
# 2
10-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I like the ideas for jam sensors, scramble sensors, Photonic officer, aceton beam, and tachyon beam. The changes to go down fighting, sensor scan, and tractor beam repulsors would significantly decrease the effectiveness of currently very balanced abilities. Charged particle burst is an interesting idea, but I think it should still still keep it's shield stripping abilities. Boarding party using transporters is a very good idea, but with one problem. The Star Trek series has established many times that Starfleet transporters cannot transport through enemy shields, only borg can do that. They also can't transport while their own ship shields are up. One possibility would be to increase the range to 10Km and require the enemy facing shield to be down in order for the ability to work. It would also drop your own ship facing shields for 5 seconds. Then make it possible for the boarding party to deal significant subsystem, shield, and hull damage and a chance to knock the external sensors offline for X amount of time. This action would put the ability in line with the series and make it a viable option.

Last edited by majortiraomega; 10-28-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Captain
# 3
10-29-2012, 04:57 AM
I have a couple of additions.

Nadion Inversion: In addition to energy drain resistance, also increase energy weapon damage by 10% for the duration.

EPS transfer: Double the duration of current bonuses.
Captain
# 4
10-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreeves7a View Post
Tractor Beam Repulsors: reduce damage component to just enough to kill spam, perhaps using a multiplier like Point Defense System console. Reducing damage causes this power to used for CC and spam clearing, removes incentive for inexperienced players to use for damage and reduces absurd shield ignoring damage from NPCs.
Oh yeah, let'S destroy one of the last working offensive science boff ability ...great
Career Officer
# 5
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Beam Overload: reduce or remove the power drain. As it stands this power isn't very useful thanks to the enormous energy drain.
Captain
# 6
10-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
Beam Overload: reduce or remove the power drain. As it stands this power isn't very useful thanks to the enormous energy drain.
Beam Overload is effective finisher, it is not an effective opener. The drain is fine as it is and there are ways how to get past it or reduce it.
Empire Veteran
# 7
10-31-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Go Down Fighting: must be under 50% health to activate, same magnitude.
It already does. Using GDF at full Hull does nothing for the player.

Basic InformationProfession: Tactical
Locale: Space
Game Description: Go Down Fighting gives your ship a scaled damage buff (lower hull health = more damage)
[
edit] Detailed InformationUsed by: Captain
Target: Self
System: None
Ability Type: Buff
Activation: - seconds
Range: N/A
Shares cooldown with:
None
Starts cooldown on:
Self
Modified by:
Skills
None
Stats

Trained by:
This ability cannot be trained
[
edit] Ability RanksAbility/User Rank CD SPR Ability Effects
Rank I: Captain 240s - Hull must be below 50%
+X% All Damage strength for 60 secs

Rank II: Admiral 240s - Hull must be below 50%
+20% All Damage strength for 60 secs

Rank III: 240s - Hull must be below 50%
+40% All Damage strength for 60 secs
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
# 8
11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Photonic Officer: (self only) Temporarily counters all loss of effectiveness due to having crew incapacitated or killed. For the duration of the ability, all ship systems will function as if all crew is alive and well.

Of course, for this to have any value, they'd have to make live crew actually matter.
Captain
# 9
11-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Odd, if I use GDF on my Tactical Klink at 100% HP he gets a 25% all damage increase. At least that's what the readouts say. I'm not sure about actual damage.