Captain
# 421
11-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I am afraid i cannot agree with most of the people here.
I think the picture of a vulcan girl wearing a cleavage heavy Starfleet esque uniform and a Starfleet Phaser looks just childish and cheap. Appealing to the lowest instincts of a male teenage MMO player...
On the other hand Cryptic is doing everything in their powers to repel more mature Star Trek fans with their designs and politics since this game started, so i was not surprised to see the "handsome phaser guy" being replaced with a little girl.

(Btw. strangely, Cryptic likes to advertise with the cobra phaser, but in game this weapon is a joke...)

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Ensign
# 422
11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Well, I decided to have a go myself at altering the background image.

Let's see now. Colorified the whole thing with a warm orange hue. Copied that, undid colorify and pasted as new layer so I can fade the coloring with the opacity slider.

Even just a faint hint of warmth does remarkable things for it. At about 50% opacity I'm looking between this and phaser guy and thinking hey, this can work.

In the end I have two filters, filter 1 being the warm colorify, filter 2 being the merge of the original image with filter 1 but only darkening the image... in other words, targeting the shadows.

So I leave filter 2 as 'darken original image' but with less opacity and move filter 1 up with much less opacity to brighten the midtones and highlights.

And this is what you get (click for whole image):

That warmer hue doesn't fit so well with the rest of the interface, but it just shows you what can be done if you have an arcane knowledge of a painting program.

No, I'm not an artist, else I would have drawn a nicer-looking phaser lady and taken a few more days to work on it. I'm a meddler, not a miracle worker!
Ensign
# 423
11-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Mrs. Pretty Vulcan Phaser Lady has just became my PC's background, and will stay that way until somebody can come up with something better. I even think my Vulcan toon had it put on the bridge!!!!!!!!

Captain
# 424
11-21-2012, 06:39 PM
T'Bust is just doing her share about the "Needs of the many outweight the needs of the few".

And most people really like the new launcher, and I think she should totally be the captain of the new Enterprise
Captain
# 425
11-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
I am afraid i cannot agree with most of the people here.
I think the picture of a vulcan girl wearing a cleavage heavy Starfleet esque uniform and a Starfleet Phaser looks just childish and cheap. Appealing to the lowest instincts of a male teenage MMO player...
On the other hand Cryptic is doing everything in their powers to repel more mature Star Trek fans with their designs and politics since this game started, so i was not surprised to see the "handsome phaser guy" being replaced with a little girl.

(Btw. strangely, Cryptic likes to advertise with the cobra phaser, but in game this weapon is a joke...)
You're actually in agreement with a "large part" of the people posting in this thread. (I'd say majority, but it seems they gave up, or just left.)

Even the slight change in the direction she's looking in that someone made on photoshop worked wonders. At least her face then made some sense ... But no, they'll keep this abomination on the front page, add it to the launcher, ...
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Career Officer
# 426
11-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Guys, come on really, yes it is a page from Evony's book of advertising.... but really, I found Phaser guy just as sexist and abhorrent.

Totally unrealistic depiction of the male sex, whats worse was the threatening phallic symbolism of his Phaser. Both of them are cliched trash.

Now what I want to see to fix this problem is a New version of T'Mammery.

I want her in that skirt crawling along a jeffries tube, I want the view and angle to be as if we were behind her.

Make it happen please
Captain
# 427
11-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Guys, come on really, yes it is a page from Evony's book of advertising.... but really, I found Phaser guy just as sexist and abhorrent.

Totally unrealistic depiction of the male sex, whats worse was the threatening phallic symbolism of his Phaser. Both of them are cliched trash.

Now what I want to see to fix this problem is a New version of T'Mammery.

I want her in that skirt crawling along a jeffries tube, I want the view and angle to be as if we were behind her.

Make it happen please
Can't tell if you're joking or serious.
Career Officer
# 428
11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Can't tell if you're joking or serious.
A bit of both... honestly Phaser Guy was no better than her, just as sexist and unrealistic.

Also, when has Star Trek not had sexy girls? come one guys.

the last bit I was joking... but still if someone wants to make it I will have no problem looking at it
Captain
# 429
11-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
A bit of both... honestly Phaser Guy was no better than her, just as sexist and unrealistic.
Yeah. His clueless expression. The falling over. The skin he was showing. What a degrading image he presented.
# 430
11-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Yeah. His clueless expression. The falling over. The skin he was showing. What a degrading image he presented.
The idea that we're all musclebound douchebags with huge shoulders shooting up the galaxy is such a positive image of masculinity

Let me ask you why isn't he a slightly overweight tellerite engineer?

Don't try and even argue that "sexy phaser" guy as people have been calling him owns the moral high-ground here, he's just another sexist cliche.

speaking of skin check out the ultimate alpha male...

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 11-22-2012 at 09:23 AM.