Survivor of Romulus
# 481
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
We aren't Nerds

But guess what if we want to see improbable women in improbable clothing we are all old enough to go into a different class of website entirely.
Career Officer
# 482
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
The game is downloading
A new player is excited and keen to play

his mother walks in
sees that Image
and turns his computer OFF
Any kid that is old enough to download and play STO is old enough to explain to his mother that it's just a promotional image (one of many).

Quote:
A female gamer (they do exist) decides to try a new game
she looks at this site and thinks "Ah its a game for teenage boys"
If someone (male or female) has heard of this game, then they'll likely have done some research before they go about downloading it. They'll read up on it, check some YouTube videos, and will eventually figure out that the game isn't aimed specifically at men.

The only people who would just go to the game website and download straight are hardcore trek fans, and regardless of male or female, they'd download regardless.
Survivor of Romulus
# 483
11-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Depends on the person and the mother (I know men in their forties one of whom has a PHD who are terrified of their mothers anger)
Career Officer
# 484
11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Depends on the person and the mother (I know men in their forties one of whom has a PHD who are terrified of their mothers anger)

At the end of the day, it's just a picture. Is that exact picture needed? Probably not. Does it do a job? Yes it does. I think it's fair to say that there are more male gamers here than there are female, and such an invitation is likely to catch the eyes of more male gamers (of which Cryptic probably sees as their main audience, much alike they do FED players over KDF players).

There have been enough disapproving comments on it already, yet the picture remains and nobody at Crytpic has come forward to comment on it. As is evidence from past requests, suggestions and the like, if Cryptic don't comment on something, it means they're not going to do anything about it. Believe me, I know. I've dropped enough hints and requests about their changes to the duty officer requisition, all posts ignored.

The picture will be staying, people complaining about it wont change that. I can't imagine it was a 5-minute project, and it probably went through several changes in addition to some meeting (inc CBS) to get approved before it was used.

People might as well get used to it. It'll be here until at least Season 8.
Career Officer
# 485
11-27-2012, 04:32 PM
How uptight do you have to be to find that image so offensive that you'd tell your 13-year-old son to turn the computer off right this instant?
Lt. Commander
lets have it STO fans.. which one is better Phaser Guy or Romulan Chick. I'm all for the next big content update we get both of them doing something heroic together with some explosions or ship to ship combat in the background.
Survivor of Romulus
# 487
11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Phaser Guy didn't look like Kristen Stewart--who is awful. So... Phaser Guy. I miss him.
Starfleet Veteran
# 488
11-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Phaser Guy.

But I don't think she is Pure Romulan given the hair and Starfleet phaser.

Her parents are Romulan & Human.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 489
11-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Phaser guy doesn't look like he gets confused trying to figure out which boot goes on which foot.
# 490
11-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Phaser guy looked like he had a giant stick up his arse. I much prefer the Vulcan chick.
Joined August 2008