Career Officer
# 11
11-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
Aegis would be a very fine set of equipment were it not for the mondo crummy shield.
Exactly why, as mentioned earlier, that I run the MACO shield with the AEGIS deflector and engine on my Wells class. Have had it this way since the day that the news pertaining to the Borg three-piece + MACO shield combo was to be nerfed - considered it better to get used to playing this way rather than having to adapt to it 'on the fly' when season seven hits.

It's a pretty effective combo - the MACO shield is a nice compromise for the AEGIS one and I don't find the combo significantly* less effective than the old Borg three-piece + MACO shield setup.

* Just to clarify, I don't think it's as good as old Borg 3 + MACO shield - it's not, but I, personally, don't think that the old setup was overwhelmingly superior. Just better.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 12
11-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
With the new reputation system, the Aegis set will become relevant again for any new players levelling up to VA or existing players levelling up alts. You gotta have a stopgap set while you earn enough reputation to go for the STF sets and the Aegis still beats the other lower level sets.
yeah, i like that idea...but there is for instance the jem'hadar shield that is really good. in my opinion, since the jem shield is far cheaper to get, people will stick to that set.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 13
11-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
but there is for instance the jem'hadar shield that is really good. in my opinion, since the jem shield is far cheaper to get, people will stick to that set.
Pardon, but this must be a typo. Jem'Hadar shields are probably in the top 5 of the most craptic pieces of equipment. Shield capacity is horrible low, even below Regenerative shields and their reg rate is a nightmare. Being resilient shields and +10 to kinetic damage resistance in no way makes up for this.

Yes it's cheaper and easier to get than AEGIS and people will probably use it even more than now, but that's actually a sad thing and will maybe even lead to more failboats.
-----------------------
decker999
Captain
# 14
11-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I got the Aegis Set from the Exchange.

So next to the Temporal Warfare Set I bought with Lobi Crystals, it is relevant to me.

Why?
Because it looks good to me, and most of all I didn't need to collect and craft those items.

I don't have the endurance and patience all the other players have, who have those great Omega, Borg, and M.A.C.O. Sets.

God knows I would pay someone to supply me with those sets using my account..
Career Officer
# 15
11-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf021 View Post
Been playing since January, and have had a blast. Been using mostly 3 piece Borg+MACO shield on all my ships for a long time now. But with the change to the Borg console, I'm currently considering whether I should change my traditional thinking. I hate crafting, but have been hearing about the Aegis set for months. I currently have enough ec to buy up the whole set off the exchange. My question is, IS IT WORTH THE ECs? Is the 2 and 3 piece bonus (extra defence and reactive shielding) noticable and useful? Would this be a good set for PVP or PVE? Is the Borg set better, even against NON Borg NPCs? Or does Aegis have any use at all anymore?
Thanks!
I'd say it's still great if you don't have your MACO set but I've noticed since day 1 of the STF sets that it's complete garbage in PvP. You're better stacking resist consoles and getting the MACO set for survivability. It used to be on par with the Borg set but the combination of the MACO shields + Borg 3-piece have severely diminished it. S7 will be splitting up the Borg set but I still think Aegis will be subpar compared to the other options available. I do miss the Tron-like skin Aegis provided.

Last edited by doomicile; 11-10-2012 at 01:48 PM.