Career Officer
# 1 007: Skyfall (SPOILERS!)
11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I have now seen Skyfall twice this weekend and it rocks - it's the best James Bond film since at least Goldeneye. It maintains/reintroduces many of the trappings of the pre-Daniel Craig 007 movie "formula", but turns a couple of them completely on their heads. M fills the kind of role usually reserved for a "Bond girl", and instead of setting the final confrontation in the villain's lair, this time Bond makes Silva come to him.

Silva reminds me more than a little of Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail from the Harry Potter series, in his mannerisms and his fixation on rats. Speaking of which, Ralph Fiennes also has a pretty significant role in Skyfall - and, let's just say, should have one in future 007 movies as well.
Career Officer
# 2
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I didn't dislike it, but left the cinema feeling that it wasn't everything I wanted it to be. I enjoyed the Moneypenny reveal, although I guessed it far too early, but hated the direction they've chosen to take for Q. I'm sure Fiennes will do the role of M proud, only I will miss my Dench fix. Luckily, I have the complete collection of As Time Goes By to fall back on.

It really had a sort of prequel-esque feeling to it at the end, at least for me.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 3
11-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I neglected to mention that Skyfall also has a dual connection to Star Trek: Nemesis, namely John Logan (co-screenwriter) and Stuart Baird (director of Nemesis, chief editor of Skyfall). Between them and The Dark Knight Rises' Tom Hardy, it's been a big year for Nemesis alums.

Last edited by paxfederatica; 11-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.