Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 21
11-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Read and Shran.

There best things about ENT.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Captain
# 22
11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
After watching a couple of episodes, I believe the problem is that everything feels so damn phoned in. Adding in the Borg, the holodeck, and even the Ferengi just feels wacky. Voyager was wacky, but at least the whole series was wacky there. With ENT they tried super hard to play it off as serious. Everyone hates on the Temporal Cold War, but give it some credit, at least it was original. Should've gone with more original stuff.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 23
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I too, have been re-watching ENTERPRISE on Netflix (started about two weeks ago)...

I'm up to the last episode of Season one (gonna watch it later this evening).

IMO...

Archer was meant to be this heroic character, but the writers started with a flawed premise and failed to follow through...

They gave the character this huge monkey that he had to carry around and the writers didn't quite know how to get beyond it...

IT, being the fact that due to the set-up of the Vulcans and his father, Archer had from his childhood always been extremely Xenophobic...

They dabbled with it a bit in the first few episodes but then all of a sudden it kinda just faded away.

Nobody gets over something like that as fast as They wrote it.

It was the one aspect of his character that They should have continued much longer with, it would have helped explain why he made so many silly decisions and given the viewers a deeper insight to his reasoning.

They also should have taken the time in the first few shows, to give us deeper in-sight in to the back-stories of the major characters and their interwoven histories...

It was obvious that Hoshi, Trip and Archer were well acquainted, but we were pretty much left guessing as to how and why.

Travis would have been quite useful in giving exposition as to why Archer was heroic...
It was very apparent he was in awe of the Captain, but the writers never really fully explored that. We had to wait till the final episode to get a glimpse of that and then it was Riker & Troi that filled us in. (THAT was really dumb).

BTW: I Like the show. I watched all but one episode when they were first aired.
(somehow I missed the episode "Civilization" from the first season and didn't even realize it till I started re-watching them on Netflix.)

It's quite easy to condemn something we don't like...,

One has to truly try hard to see the positives, especially in a case like that.

Enterprise had it's share of both...

But in my opinion, is still quite entertaining.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 11-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Captain
# 24
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
It's quite easy to condemn something we don't like...,

One has to truly try hard to see the positives, especially in a case like that.

Enterprise had it's share of both...

But in my opinion, is still quite entertaining.
Oh I agree with you. It is an entertaining show, and there's a lot of good stuff in it. Just so much is phoned in, has bizarre characterization choices, so much in-your-face fanservice it's disgusting (Just watch Broken Bow again...)and the worst female characters in trek history.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 25
11-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Oh I agree with you. It is an entertaining show, and there's a lot of good stuff in it. Just so much is phoned in, has bizarre characterization choices, so much in-your-face fanservice it's disgusting (Just watch Broken Bow again...)and the worst female characters in trek history.
Another major aspect is that the show was heavily catered to what the Producers and UPN thought (hoped?) would be the main viewing population...

Namely, the up and coming Generation Bieber.

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Captain
# 26
11-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
Another major aspect is that the show was heavily catered to what the Producers and UPN thought (hoped?) would be the main viewing population...

Namely, the up and coming Generation Bieber.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. (That explains so much)

Captain
# 27
11-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
The actress who played T'pol simply couldn't act and needed voice coaching. She is a Trek fan in real life so she didn't screw it up on purpose. I thought Hoshi was portrayed well and is probable the most likeable female character in Trek since DS9, Voyager had Janeneway who could be too edgy and was a bad captain who just barked orders at people, 7 who had no charisma or personality or Bel'anna who was half Klingon and could be an interesting character but too aggresive. The latter 2 were played by beautiful ladies tho.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Rihannsu
# 28
11-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
After watching a couple of episodes, I believe the problem is that everything feels so damn phoned in. Adding in the Borg, the holodeck, and even the Ferengi just feels wacky. Voyager was wacky, but at least the whole series was wacky there. With ENT they tried super hard to play it off as serious. Everyone hates on the Temporal Cold War, but give it some credit, at least it was original. Should've gone with more original stuff.
The Temporal Cold War felt off to me because of how technologically primitive the NX was. Tech from the future vs.... antiquated crap. um... how does the side with antiquated crap win?

I did like the concept of the Temporal Cold War, but, IMO, it'd have been better done in a different era of Federation history. Possibly several eras... kinda like All Good Things....

It only makes sense in this era if the time cops have a specific reason to be there. I suppose you could say that it was the Sphere builders that he was there to stop but it's hard to be sure of that while watching the show.

Oh and Shran was awesome!
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
11-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
Let me save you some bleeding eyes and time.

I hated the first 2 seasons of Enterprise because even thou humans knew aliens existed, and had been prepping to go further out to meet more of them for 100 years, no one had a clue what to do when the crew actually found aliens.

The entire first two seasons of Enterprise can be condensed into the following summary:

Archer: Hey, look. People live here.

Crew: Yay! Should we go down to the planet?

T'Pol: Bad idea.

Archer: Shuddup. Lets go.

On the planet, someone does something stupid, or loses a piece of equipment, or their dog gets sick (lame)......

Crew: Wow, we sure were lucky we didn't F that up any more than we did.

T'Pol: Told you it was a bad idea.

Archer: Shuddup. Find me another planet!

The show was much more watchable whenever T'pol was on screen and the volume was muted.
LMAO!!
BEST COMMENT / REVIEW EVAR!!11!!1!one
Rihannsu
# 30
11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
My favorite parts were the episodes showing the backstory of how the Federation of Kirk's time came to be. the series was ostensibly a prequel, it really needed to act like it more often.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.