Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
People (including Devs) always say how PvP is dead, how the game would be better off without it, and how it's not worth fixing. To which I reply: Cryptic has recently shown a preference to short, instanced matches of endlessly repeatable content.

Isn't that what PvP is all about?

1. Big open PvP maps.

I miss Ker'rat. I really do. The chaos that ensues when you have a bunch of angry people with highly missmatched ships in tight quarters (and you let them fight each other) has resulted in some of the most hilarious and memorable moments in the entire game. So why don't we have more of that? With a whole sector block coming, I'm rather sad one of these wasn't in the lineup.

It doesn't have to be that hard to make. Just a big open space where we can kill each other. You don't even have to fill it with anything either. Nothing but the cold, cruel void of space, a pretty skybox, a mission that says "Go here, kill 20 dudes", and call it a day.

2. Make better rewards for it. ....and put them in boxes.

Currently there is no special reason to PvP. The rewards either aren't very good (Ker'rat) or can be obtained in better manners. While that might be changing, I don't believe a PvP reputation system is the entire solution. A much simpler idea (and one that could still be done in addition too) is to make some of the rewards based on how many kills/assist kills you get and put all the rewards (including dilithium) in to loot boxes like STF's are currently.

This forces you to A. Kill the other guy to get what you want, but also B. forces you to be alive to collect your loot. This would breath much needed life into PvP, and AFK'ers would disappear overnight. (At least from PvP and Ker'rat, though, if all missions did this it would at least impede PvE AFK'ers)

3. Mission based PvP Content.

Make a mission, and use players as your mobs.

Think about it this way; Imagine a mission where there is an NPC vessel that while researching a comet, crashed and embedded itself into the comet. This knocked the comet out of orbit, and now it's plummeting to it's doom. There's a lot of people and important research on board this ship, so you being the good little starfleet you are, get some buddies and go to rescue it.

Where upon you meet player klingons trying to take it for themselves.

You could add all sorts of things to make this interesting. Say the Comet is breaking up and there are giant pieces of death filled ice you have to dodge.

<Little bit more difficult things>

4. A little pocket war.

Remember Neural? The planet from "A Private Little War"? The planet where Kirk and Klingons fought a proxy war? By giving each side weapons and support, hoping to win the planets favor? The planet with the giant poisonous unicorn ape? Yeah that one.

Why is something like that not in game? Sounds like the perfect resource sink to me!

Either just give them random crap that helps them out, or engage in actual all out violence! Which kind of brings us too:

5. Territory Control.

It's been discussed before, and it's time.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 2
11-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Ships/skills/consoles character and equipment
Powers and abilities are so unbalanced along
With the use of keybinds and special controllers
Pvp will never become popular I'n STO

For fun pvp you must have balance and there
Is none I'n this game

And cryptic knows it

Just kill the noobs who show up and die I'n 10 seconds
Who never come back and be happy with that.

Its funny SFC was 90% pvp and no one complained
Even when they lost their ship

You really lost your ship I'n that game !

It's a pity cryptic couldn't model after success
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Captain
# 3
11-09-2012, 08:08 AM
#3-5 can be seen in City of Heroes (until 11/30) and it works.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Empire Veteran
# 4
11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
5. Territory Control.

It's been discussed before, and it's time.
I'm all for this
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Commander
# 5
11-09-2012, 09:46 AM
+1 - These are all great suggestions. I will add some:

Create a PvP map where the mission is simply to get from point a to b to c etc. Death returns you to your previously unlocked respawn point. Enemy players will be trying to complete the same objective in the other direction. Match is decided by a certain number of players successfully reaching all unlock points. Both sides get rewards at the conclusion of the match.

Create an open zone where players need to get to certain objects and interact with them. Interacting with the object gives a simple random reward scaled to level. Object respawn on a five minute timer (maybe longer to prevent camping) so the object is to keep moving, stay alive and collect rewards.

Just a couple suggestions. PvP SHOULD be the end game activity and is in most games that have PvP enabled at all.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-09-2012, 11:21 AM
yeah, this are great suggestions for PvP, they really should put up some rewards in it and also objectives/missions to make it more fun. Now primary objective in arena is: enter arena, try to get 15 kills, end of match here is your LOLZy 20k EC`s now u can go and FUYS`s. yeah, no1 rly likes to play it just bcs off that. (offcourse sometimes PvP matches are rly fun, if happens that PUG vs PUG are ballanced, which is extremlly rare thing)

I hope that DEV`s will understand why are we bitc***g arround all the time, and put some effort in PvP developing, and NOT giving us the BS that we are hearing all the time, "umm, yeah, we`r considering about improoving pvp gamplay, but currently we r bussy with season X, so FU"

(sry 4 typos, i`m Croatian, don`t know how to spell all words correctly)
Captain
# 7
11-09-2012, 11:25 AM
It's been said that cryptic will NEVER force players to do PvP. As long as the game remains unbalanced, and AI so simple the majority will never volunteer to fight an unpredictable enemy (live players).
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 8
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguitar View Post
+1 - These are all great suggestions. I will add some:

Create a PvP map where the mission is simply to get from point a to b to c etc. Death returns you to your previously unlocked respawn point. Enemy players will be trying to complete the same objective in the other direction. Match is decided by a certain number of players successfully reaching all unlock points. Both sides get rewards at the conclusion of the match.

Create an open zone where players need to get to certain objects and interact with them. Interacting with the object gives a simple random reward scaled to level. Object respawn on a five minute timer (maybe longer to prevent camping) so the object is to keep moving, stay alive and collect rewards.

Just a couple suggestions. PvP SHOULD be the end game activity and is in most games that have PvP enabled at all.
That sounds like an idea I had! It's kind of like Starbase blockade, except that some of the players are in the freighters and everyone else has to fight over them.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Some good suggestions, but all of them DO require trying, unlike what your title suggests. Their lack of trying IS the problem with pvp
Lieutenant
# 10
11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I like how you included territory control in a thread titled "without even trying."