Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Now, before I share my idea, I'd just like to point out that I don't PVP that much, but that I've played enough to get the general idea of how certain setups tend to be treated and how those setups affect an actual match.

Anywhoo, my idea for making the concept of a tank actually matter in PVP (in virtually every PVP I've been in, Tanks were only there to give Tac's and Sci's something to do while the other Tac's and Sci's respawned) is to redesign Threat Control to actually work in PVP.

And how it could be done is to introduce a low chance (lets say, 1-5%) of each beam or cannon volley automatically re-targeting the tank rather than the players actual target. This way, a Tank with 9 in Threat Control could actually tank and matter, rather than tank and not matter at all. A tank, I would think, should have its role in PVP defined as the player that draws and absorbs all the fire and helps keep the fire off of their teammates, but as it stands now, targeting a tank when a Tac or a Sci is still alive tends to be wasted effort. So in this way, now the tank has to be taken out before the Tac's and Sci's can be taken down, but this would also have to be in tandem with defending against the Tac/Sci players. A good strategy would revolve around destroying the tank while disabling or mitigating the others.

This would certainly give Engineers more of a defined and purposeful role, even in PVE, as well as promote more focused team work.

And as far as actually explaining how this would actually work canon wise, we could say it was a new ship system that generates some kind of space magic field that draws energy to it. Perhaps it something that out of combat would be used to collect and harness energy from space. We could also potentially use this same concept to devise a new Boff power that could convert the incoming energy from Drawn attacks into Weapons power, giving Cruisers more of a bite the more they draw fire from their teammates.

Of course naturally the tanking abilities of the other careers would have to be reduced alongside this (so that individual, undedicated tanking ability doesn't overshadow dedicated tanking, like it does now), and my idea for that would be a 5th Power Level, ie, Emergency Power, that all engineering abilities could run off of.

As it stands now, a lot of Engineering abilities don't require any power at all, and the few that do (Namely the Aux 2 abilities) aren't the bread and butter of tanking. If Emergency Power to Shields was tied to a power level that on Tac and Sci ships would be very low, then Tac's an Sci's would not be as overwhelmingly powerful as they are without an Engineer to back them up.

But anyway, those are my ideas. Feel free to dash them and for-shame me as you please.
Captain
# 2
11-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Since when did threat control become a pvp feature???
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Captain
# 3
11-05-2012, 07:40 AM
The only tank that matters is the one that helps team with additional firepower and healing or protecting with extended shields, without needing help himself. Zombies are just simply ignored. This artificial change would solve nothing, except to spread focus fire a bit, while the ZOMBIE would be still ignored.
Empire Veteran
# 4
11-05-2012, 07:53 AM
well tanks dont work so well in pvp. that is problem in every mmo with such a class system. there are different approaches.
like in dark age of camelot theycould block for team members to protect them, they could do decent dmg when skilled in 2h weapons or with an expension they actually had bodyguard making their target immune to melee weapons as long as the protected didnt move and stayed close.
in swtor tanks could use taunt to debuff an enemy. the debuff reduced the dmg severly unless the enemy attacked the tank. also there was a guard option which split the incoming dmg between the protected and the tank

now forcing an enemy to attack a certain target is not good a option i think. also setting a ship up to simply soak dmg and having everyone attack it... its not so much fun. target switches and baiting buffs is what makes pvp interesting.
to make engies in a cruiser more viable they should either have better support abilities, like additional heals not only for themselves but for others as well, or they should have something to increase their dmg.
also something like an extend shields that actually shares dmg might be interesting. that alone would make the self heals more viable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
Well thats the point. It should have use in PVP.

As for Dalnar, I don't think you read my entire post. Its not just about tanks, but also tanking in general.
Captain
# 6
11-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthaatar View Post

As for Dalnar, I don't think you read my entire post. Its not just about tanks, but also tanking in general.
Problem i have with this is that it offers way too much CC for engineers and pretty much "steals" the sci captains role. Another issue i have with it is that such a tank cruiser would justify using RSP more, and have multiple copies which i oppose outright. A third is CC/buff/debuff misfire which can literaly piss of people majorly if target all off a sudden changes.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
11-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
It's used by some for the additional defense it provides. Obviously not because it draws aggro.
Career Officer
# 8
11-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
when it added better hull resist. check tribble for yourslef. put 6 points into hull check resist. put 3 points into hull and threat and check resist again. you will see the 3 and 3 gives a bump to resist. just a .6. example 6 hull 24.0 3 threat 3 hull 24.6.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
[...]
And how it could be done is to introduce a low chance (lets say, 1-5%) of each beam or cannon volley automatically re-targeting the tank rather than the players actual target.
This way, a Tank with 9 in Threat Control could actually tank and matter, rather than tank and not matter at all.
That's an interesting idea. Sort of a passive power that draws fire, derived from the skill... I think it can work, if the numbers are fiddled with to work for it.

I am unsure, however, if the impact on the game experience would be good or bad for the majority of players. One would have to try it out, I guess... maybe it could get very annoying for certain types of players.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 10
11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Perhaps on pets... not on players. And the player should be able to redirect the pets easily if they're paying attention.