Starfleet Veteran
I know this is only one chap's opinion, but the colors representing BOff "quality" in both their Fleet occupation line in the rosters AND (especially so) in the colors reflected in the comm badges in the "paper doll" and in-game, active appearance are really quite unattractive.

First, we can figure out the "quality" of each officer on our own - not that it matters when you rank a "Common" officer to Commander-level and have a "Very Rare" officer at Ensign-level.

Second, if you are planning on keeping thise "feature," can it be optional to engage/disengage like the weapons and costumes in S6? Honestly, you shouldn't add something like this that can't be changed, and certainly not as a default - most of us like to come up with our own "look" for our BOffs, ships, and so on.

Why was this done? I certainly hope this isn't a vanity thing so players can show off the "quality" of their BOffs because, honestly, who cares? I really couldn't care less if someone is impressed or not by anything I "possess" in the game, and at least as far as the BOff "quality" color-coding goes, I'd be willing to bet a good majority of other players feel the same way.

Any way this is going to be optional or, even better, left out entirely at S7 launch?

Fleet Commander
Caprica's Revenge
(...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I sort of agree with this. The commbadge color-coding in the BOff list is rather ugly. That said, I don't mind the BOff's original rarity being indicated somewhere on the screen, so the color-coding of the "[Faction] [Division] Bridge Officer" seems okay.

Note that I said "original rarity" above since, for the most part, a BOff's rarity is not that relevant, particularly after they've repeatedly been trained in new skills by their captains and/or other officers.

Also, I haven't seen any way for you to see the rarity of other players' BOffs, so unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem like "bragging rights."

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
Krushan Twinn - Orion Science
Lieutenant
# 3
11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
I actually really like this feature. It just reminded me today that I needed to replace my really crappy boffs...
Rihannsu
# 4
11-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmatt View Post
I sort of agree with this. The commbadge color-coding in the BOff list is rather ugly. That said, I don't mind the BOff's original rarity being indicated somewhere on the screen, so the color-coding of the "[Faction] [Division] Bridge Officer" seems okay.

Note that I said "original rarity" above since, for the most part, a BOff's rarity is not that relevant, particularly after they've repeatedly been trained in new skills by their captains and/or other officers.

Also, I haven't seen any way for you to see the rarity of other players' BOffs, so unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem like "bragging rights."
They did change it.... The colored glow surrounding the icon is gone now. The colored text is still there to identify rarity though. Which is good IMO.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
They did change it.... The colored glow surrounding the icon is gone now. The colored text is still there to identify rarity though. Which is good IMO.
Ah, was there more to it before? What I saw with the latest patch is the glow inside the chevrons in the BOff window list and next to the BOff's name, plus the description text under the name. The green especially I think is pretty ugly when it's inside the chevron, but it's certainly not a major complaint.

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
Krushan Twinn - Orion Science

Last edited by flatmatt; 11-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Career Officer
# 6
11-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clannmac View Post
I know this is only one chap's opinion, but the colors representing BOff "quality" in both their Fleet occupation line in the rosters AND (especially so) in the colors reflected in the comm badges in the "paper doll" and in-game, active appearance are really quite unattractive.

First, we can figure out the "quality" of each officer on our own - not that it matters when you rank a "Common" officer to Commander-level and have a "Very Rare" officer at Ensign-level.

Second, if you are planning on keeping thise "feature," can it be optional to engage/disengage like the weapons and costumes in S6? Honestly, you shouldn't add something like this that can't be changed, and certainly not as a default - most of us like to come up with our own "look" for our BOffs, ships, and so on.

Why was this done? I certainly hope this isn't a vanity thing so players can show off the "quality" of their BOffs because, honestly, who cares? I really couldn't care less if someone is impressed or not by anything I "possess" in the game, and at least as far as the BOff "quality" color-coding goes, I'd be willing to bet a good majority of other players feel the same way.

Any way this is going to be optional or, even better, left out entirely at S7 launch?
Agreed about turning it on or off. Frankly I liked it. Let me know at a glance If I can find better boffs in ground traits. Im a perfectionist. Sue me.

That said man, if you thought it looked ugly NOW. You should have seen it earlier. It wasnt a shading of the comm badge it was this ugly neon outline of the combadge. Was HORRIBLE.

This, at least, blends in a little better than being bombarded with this neon purple/blue outline.
Career Officer
# 7
11-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Suppose I'm in the minority, but I liked the neon glow outlines.
Rihannsu
# 8
11-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
yeah, I didn't mind them either.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 9
11-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
Same here. They just needed dimmed a wee bit. Now it's hard to see, but I can still see the Green, Blue, or Purple hue over the combadges.

I like them as a way of helping me decide if I should upgrade for a few extra/upgraded Passive abilities. I can always train BOFFs in activated abilities if needed.
Captain
# 10
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Im kinda glad if the glow-y aura is gone,

My mild OCD would force me to upgrade all the boffs to one colour, stop me going more crazy :|

Ironically i was reshuffling boffs yesterday to prepare for this, even forked our a bit much on a upgrading my first boff ever; the white quality female trill Auzrir, to a purple one with superior creativity, (saving her costume, and changing her name of course.. :3)