Captain
Introduction & Current Status

We are nearing the launch of Season 7 with it being only days away and with it are several changes that will have a significant impact. But first I would like to talk about a few numbers that may interest those of you who are in a fleet that hasn't been progressing like mad in the system. Based on fleet mark costs which the other costs tend to follow if you have currently hit tier 3 in all three branches you are now a little over 10% in with only 90% left to go! At your current rate of advancement it should only take about three more years to complete your starbase. If you find that disheartening on the bright side the new romulan embassy holding looks to be much lighter in requirements needing only a bit over 3k Marks and 100k Dil to get to tier 1 not counting the actual upgrade project per path. In addition the Investigate Officer Reports Daily is being changed so it will not longer be a quick route to those needed marks and I'm sure we can look foward to more holdings being added in the future. It is without a doubt a good time to make a decision on if fleet progression is important to you and if so a small fleet may not be a good fit for you anymore.

But enough doom and gloom, here are some suggestions to improve the situation!

Suggestions to Help out the small fleets

1) Add a new project that has a low cost, provides a high amount of XP, but has a long duration making it undesirable for those interested in speed.

2) Add a new special project that offers 1,000 XP for all 3 types that has a low cost but a long duration. This would be a counter offer to those designed to help large fleets gain fleet credits.

3) Provide a 'passive' contribution to the projects that need donations of about 1% per 4 hours.

4) Improve 'Officer of the Watch' Daily rewards significantly.

5) Reduce costs significantly mainly in the fleet mark area.

6) ???

Short History of 'Band-aid' Changes designed to help improve progression speed and their Impact on the Game.

Doffs
Originally the doffs were the large bottleneck for fleet progression. In an attempt to improve the situation the fleet doffs were added to the starbase to be purchased with fleet credits. This lead to a huge influx of Dilithium into the game as doffs were dismissed one after another for it. In response Cryptic heavily nerfed the reward for dismissing any doffs witch also closed the exploit of farming purples with Support and downgrading them to white to dismiss for a ton of Dil. Now because of the surplus of undesired white doffs they are being mashed together providing a large influx of purple doffs to the system. In response cryptic is drastically increasing the cost to do so with Season 7.

First off why Starbase Projects consume the amount of doffs that they do I have no idea. In addition their are now two new problems facing the doff system. There is no longer a good doff sink for the players and undesired doffs no longer have any value at all. Secondly at some point the purple doffs will be purchased in massive quantities to mess it all up again.

If instead they would have simply allowed doffs to be purchased for the starbase that cost a negligible amount of EC or Dil but had no use beyond that none of those ripple effects would have happened. In addition to fix the Support issue all they needed to do was add a cost to downgrading doffs.

Fleet Marks
In the beginning Nukara provided all the marks you could want within a short amount of time. It got nerfed with a cooldown to slow it drastically. At that point once again progression was not fast enough for Crytic's taste so they added the marks to the Investigate Officer Daily that many have gotten used to using as a quick way to get the marks. Now that is being changed to make it much more time consuming and no longer a good source of the marks.

Why the marks were added to something completely unrelated to the fleet system to begin with I have no idea but they were. If instead they were placed on the 'Officer of the Watch' daily we would not have our current problem.

Conclusion
Many Fleets soon will not be progressing at a pace acceptable to the players nor Cryptic. In the past they have taken steps to improve that pace with band-aid fixes that have ripple effects impacting other aspects of the game. They need to step back and re-evaluate the system in its entirety in my opinion but in the mean time they need to do something that will not impact anything beyond the fleet system itself and they need to do it soon.
Ensign
# 2
11-09-2012, 01:14 PM
My small fleet already ceased operations on the starbase a couple weeks ago when we all came to the concensus we were fighting a losing battle against Cryptic. Our fleet's future is in doubt now, but we can hopefully keep in touch via Steam.
Career Officer
# 3
11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I have a small fleet of family, and friends. We don't view the starbase as a race,or a "gotta have it" shiney.
The realistic attitude is we might hit T-3 by summer 2013.Anything beyond that, is a vanity project, and not needed, to enjoy the game.
I think the primary focus will be the new content, and STFing ALTs for the gear.
Not everyone will feel this way,about the fleetbases, in the forum.The member's in my fleet all know each other in RL, and we agree that T-3 is the shutoff point.
We get there, when we get there.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Commander
# 4
11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm getting within visual range of T2 with my solo base and from what I've seen from S7 that will probably be as far as I go.

I also have no intention of building an Embassy unless the rewards for doing so aresimply too good to ignore.

Last edited by dkeith2011; 11-09-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjhunter View Post
I have a small fleet of family, and friends. We don't view the starbase as a race,or a "gotta have it" shiney.
The realistic attitude is we might hit T-3 by summer 2013.Anything beyond that, is a vanity project, and not needed, to enjoy the game.
I think the primary focus will be the new content, and STFing ALTs for the gear.
Not everyone will feel this way,about the fleetbases, in the forum.The member's in my fleet all know each other in RL, and we agree that T-3 is the shutoff point.
We get there, when we get there.

I'm with you on this one.

Me and my fleet (Family and Freinds, Only 5 of us)

It is indeed a vanity project, so far we have only hit a tier 1 base, completed the windows & Got a Lvl1 of each subsystem.

It's taking a mindnumbing amount of time to complete, but it's irrelivent to gameplay really.
Rihannsu
# 6
11-13-2012, 06:37 AM
in our KDF fleet it is just me and one friend now.

we came back to the game some 2 weeks ago, dumped everything we had into the fleet and are now upgrading to the Shipyard I, the Sci is at 7k, Eng at 4k.

After a longer talk we decided we stay within our fleet and will not abandon it to join a bigger fleet, because we just care.
We will get it to tier 1 first, then we will see. We'll probably take a look at the embassy and wage which project offers more bonuses.

T3 starbase it everything you might need.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-13-2012, 06:44 AM
what i think would help is if small fleets could band toehter

and attack like big fleets stations or soemthng

and if they win against whome er is there they get fleet marks and a console or somethng4
Career Officer
# 8
11-13-2012, 07:42 AM
And I despise when people "suggest" we turn STO into another EVE game. If people are that big on ganking other players go play EVE, and enjoy getting owned in space combat.
However I think PVP needs an overhaul and new content in this game.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!

Last edited by cptjhunter; 11-13-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
11-13-2012, 09:02 AM
It does follow a certain logic that a small fleet would have a smaller, more modest base than a huge fleet. Setting a reasonable goal for a small fleet to attain, then moving on seems like a good call.

The only problem as I see it is that this leaves players in a dilemma, since the smaller base won't have access to the top end ships and gear. Do you stay with the small group of friends to whom you are personally invested, or jump to a mega fleet so you can have access to the high tier ships and Elite Fleet gear? That's a crappy decision to have to make.

Maybe the solution is that all items are available to all fleets from the beginning. BUT, they will be really expensive in terms of Dil. or other costs. When you "unlock" that item by advancing the fleet holding, the price drops to its current level. And I mean this stuff would be REALLY expensive, enough that if you can afford to level the base up, you'd prefer to do that. That way, everybody can get this stuff if they really want it bad enough, but large fleets don't feel like they wasted resources leveling up.