Captain
# 731
02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
Oh, and I recently bought a fleet Excelsior. No it's not the ideal cruiser. Three engineering ensign slots is a terrible thing to inflict on any ship. Plus the turn rate, while better than other Fed cruisers, still hasn't matched the slower KDF battlecruiser, the Negh'var. And it can't use the plasmonic leech. Improved transwarp is nice for doffing. And I happen to really like the looks of the Excelsior.

So, nice ship, but not ideal.
Actually it is quite ideal, my fleet excel after a recent build modification now works a treat, does everything and looks good doing it I even made good use of the ensign engineer slot (See below)

LTC Tac: TT1, FAW2, AP:B2
CMDR Eng: EPtW1, RSP1, Aux2SIF2, EWP3
Lt Eng: EPtS1, ES1
Ens Eng: ET1
Lt Sci: HE1, TSS2

Doffs: 3x DCE (Purple), WCE (Purple), Free slot

Power presets:
100/25/25/50

With 1 keybind for EPtW&S and other to add TT and Aux2SIF to that it can DPS and tank or heal or all 3 at the same time (win, win, win absolute "Kirk ship"
Captain
# 732
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Actually it is quite ideal, my fleet excel after a recent build modification now works a treat,
I'm doing a weird franken-ship thing right now. At the moment I've got

TacTeam1, APB1, APD2
EPTA1, EPTS2, ETeam3, Aux2SIF3
EPTW1, EPTS2
EPTE1
HE1, TSS2

Getting nice damage out of the Romulan Hyper-plasma torp, so abilities focused on survival and healing. Yes, for other people if they need it. I don't mind throwing heals at other people, I just refuse to be forced into doing nothing else.

I know it's a suboptimal build. It usually takes me a week or so to figure out new ships.

Quote:
Doffs: 3x DCE (Purple)
Never really used those... I have trouble accepting "Chance to be awesome" given the corresponding "Chance to do nothing". I've got 3 projectile officers, a maintenance engineer, and an astrometrics guy to make better use of that swell transwarp engine.
Captain
# 733
02-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
Never really used those... I have trouble accepting "Chance to be awesome" given the corresponding "Chance to do nothing". I've got 3 projectile officers, a maintenance engineer, and an astrometrics guy to make better use of that swell transwarp engine.
Actually my "chance to be awesome" seems to be 100%, since I got the three of them at purple level they have never failed to proc, the only chance to be awesome and chance to do nothing (which only matters if it is awesome) is the warp core doff, if he procs and I use EPS Power transfer thats 100+ power to all systems which equates to complete awesomeness for I think 15 seconds

Going back to the boff layout considering the fact of having evasives (which works as well as EPtE anyway) you may as well drop that and put ET1 in its place as you aren't playing a dedicated healboat ET3 is excessive and EPtA if you run 50 aux power is not needed. I'm guessing from your prioritisation of AP that you have points in threat control? I still recommend using a direct weapon buff, FAW2 and AP:B2 for example rips through bops in CSE, combining that with EWP I can solo Kang duty completely in my eng/Excel meaning more DPS for them shipyards

On a side note this discussion is not aiding the "cruisers are UP" argument of this thread, if you have further questions feel free to give me a shout @adamkafei