Lt. Commander
Is it just for the Beta that we are unable to choose traits for our characters in the character creation process?

Is it going to be like that in live version?

I like the idea of having unique race specific Traits, limited to a particular Race.

During character creation, choosing what traits their character has, (out of the list of possible traits.)
Gives the player the feeling that it's their character. It's the Little things like this that give it a more personal touch.

Thank you for taking the time to read this may you, have a great Day
Career Officer
# 2
05-18-2013, 08:41 AM
The trait system on holodeck will be the same as is on tribble.

All set races, romulans, humans, klingon, borg, get their basic set of 4 racial traits and you can pick another 5 as you level up. you can also respec the 4 once you get into the game. They also have a set racial trait that is permante and can't be removed, though it's not part of your 9 trait slots.

Aliens do get a little screwed by this because you get 4 random traits are are forced to use the respec as soon as you get in game if you don't like the ones you got.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-18-2013, 09:39 AM
well I guess I'll hod a moment of silence for soon departed feature. _________

oh well I guess, might get to try out trait respec option.

was nice to pick the traits in character creation.
Lieutenant
# 4
05-18-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm not seeing any issues here. Is this just you being sad that they're making the game better? Because to be honest I'd much rather have more traits available. ALSO: You still start out with the Race specific traits. If you'd started a level 1 character on Tribble you might know this, but Orions, for instance, still start with Seduce.
Career Officer
# 5
05-18-2013, 10:35 AM
It's really just annoying for aliens, since your now pretty much forced to respec as soon as you get into the game.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadz3 View Post
I'm not seeing any issues here. Is this just you being sad that they're making the game better? Because to be honest I'd much rather have more traits available. ALSO: You still start out with the Race specific traits. If you'd started a level 1 character on Tribble you might know this, but Orions, for instance, still start with Seduce.
Exactly how does not being able to choose traits during character creation make the game better? The rest of the new trait system, sure, but I'm not seeing any player-side gain from this.
Career Officer
# 7
05-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordinsane View Post
Exactly how does not being able to choose traits during character creation make the game better? The rest of the new trait system, sure, but I'm not seeing any player-side gain from this.
Exactly how does getting more choices and being able to respec after character creation make the game worse? A couple extra minutes? Oh noes now I'll never get into that good college. My life is ruined! Damn you Cryptic!
Career Officer
# 8
05-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
Exactly how does getting more choices and being able to respec after character creation make the game worse? A couple extra minutes? Oh noes now I'll never get into that good college. My life is ruined! Damn you Cryptic!
Its forcing the free respec to be used up.

It's kind of a cheap tactic imo.
Captain
# 9
05-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neok182 View Post
All set races, romulans, humans, klingon, borg, get their basic set of 4 racial traits and you can pick another 5 as you level up. you can also respec the 4 once you get into the game. They also have a set racial trait that is permante and can't be removed, though it's not part of your 9 trait slots.
From the testing I've done, you actually get 8 optional traits and 1 racial trait. There is an odd quirk with Klingons copied over to Tribble that leaves their racial trait unselected, but you can re-slot it and the 9th trait slot disappears. I haven't noticed that issue with other species, but it may be present in a few others as well. I checked the passives, and the Klingon trait was not present until re-slotted. You can't respec the racial trait, but that for one is almost always worth taking. Upon respec, however, you can re-slot all 8 of the optional traits.

You did not actually answer the question that lordinsane asked, though; lordinsane made no mention of the addditional traits and respec as being detrimental, and I agree entirely that these are improvements. Do you actually think it is an improvement that you cannot choose traits at character creation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Its forcing the free respec to be used up.

It's kind of a cheap tactic imo.
Yeah, that, though ussultimatum answers faster than I.
Career Officer
# 10
05-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah, old complaint, that's how they want it now. Kind of sad, they improve the trait system but force you to use the respec to make proper use of it.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.