Career Officer
I was hoping someone would be able to give some advice or help, I'm creating my first foundry mission and am having trouble. I want my mission to start off where you have to report to Earth Spacedock and speak to a contact.
I thought, after watching videos of tutorials on the Foundry, that after filling in the first dialog box where the mission is given to the player, that you simply added an objective for a dialog box.
So far I have made two of the maps I need for this mission, but neither of them have any enemies to kill. I've started to make the mission, so far missing out the parts where the player has to speak to the contacts on Earth Spacedock, but obviously I'll want to put them in.
I can't select e dialog box to drag over until I've added 'cryptic maps' which to be honest I don't know what that button does.
Thank you in advance for any help offered.
Mira300
Captain
# 2
11-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Okay, if I understand you correctly, the trouble here is that when you begin a mission at ESD it actually sends you to the social area where you can't add anything. Subsequent uses of ESD, within the mission itself (using the old or new ESD maps within the foundry) ARE proper foundry maps.

If you are going to start at ESD (and thus the social area) you can only select certain things like panels, pre-set contacts, etc.

So, pick a "door" or something at ESD and then bring the player from there into a custom interior map where your contact is.

Also, be very explicit in your description on where to go on ESD to start your mission because that can get confusing.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
11-09-2012, 06:48 AM
You can do what you are describing, start the mission by talking to a contact at ESD.

What you have to do is go to the story tab. Look at the right side Library menu. At the very top of the list is something called "Cryptic Maps" you must click and drag this into your mission right below that introductory dialogue.

This has added what we call a "social map" to your mission. You can now click and drag a "Talk to contact" objective onto the box representing that map. The click to select component, you'll get a listing of all the available social maps, Bajor, DS9, ESD, etc. and a list of contacts to choose from.

Select one, and now you have a talk to contact on the public ESD map.

Now, you can't go straight from talking to that person to your first custom map. You still have to transition via a "door" somewhere. You'll see the need for that when you drag the first custom map into the story window. The transition box will come up automatically and prompt you to select a door to leave from instead of "Whole Map" which it doesn't allow from social maps. I suggest using a door on the same social map close by where your contact is, like the door next to the admirals office on ESD.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.