Commander
# 1 Penguins
02-14-2013, 08:27 AM
I was watching these clips; Penguin 1 & Penguin 2.
And I thought wouldn't it be cool to have some Penguins in STO? Perhaps as the descendants of a crashed alien race in the Antartica or just as an amusing backdrop.

And in extention of this random thread... what happened to this; Aquatics?
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Career Officer
# 2
02-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
And in extention of this random thread... what happened to this; Aquatics?
That was one of the earliest ideas for TNG.
The Enterprise-D was supposed to carry whales and dolphins along to help navigating the stars (no kidding).
It was part of the same whale-craze that caused some of the dumber stuff in Star Trek IV.
Like whales can talk with large space probes in orbit because they don't just emit sound waves (which would not travel through vacuum) but have magical groove waves that go out into space.
Rihannsu
# 3
02-14-2013, 08:45 AM
you mean like these guys: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Xindi-Aquatic

Hehe... the whale thing probably died out when people realized that they aren't more intelligent than monkeys...

Aliens who resemble whales? Hehe... maybe. I liked the Aquatics.

I vote for "amusing backdrop". Penguins are about as smart as Pigeons.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 4
02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Well my other half is always joking that Penguins are evil and want to take over the world and i remember reading a book in which the descendants of the Elephants were aliens that crashed on earth thousands of years ago and de-evolved to survive.
I figured why not combine the two? Evil War Mongoring Penguin race returns to salvage their anceint ship! lol

OR perhaps a cute-animal sanctuary that needs assistance as a patrol mission!? Through a bunch of Kittens in there that are playing with tribbles... send the servers into cute over-drive... then give the Klingons a mission to blow it all up!
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Career Officer
# 5
02-14-2013, 09:03 AM
If you're curious, there's a novel (with the incredibly original name "Probe") that explains the origins of the Whale Probe.
It also explains how the atmosphere vaporization thingy works.
It might explain how it was able to hear the whale song.
It was supposedly a complex tractor system affecting ships and the atmosphere.
Perhaps it used the feedback from the atmosphere to "hear" the whale song.
It's still kinda silly but at least the author tried.
Rihannsu
# 6
02-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
Well my other half is always joking that Penguins are evil and want to take over the world and i remember reading a book in which the descendants of the Elephants were aliens that crashed on earth thousands of years ago and de-evolved to survive.
I figured why not combine the two? Evil War Mongoring Penguin race returns to salvage their anceint ship! lol

OR perhaps a cute-animal sanctuary that needs assistance as a patrol mission!? Through a bunch of Kittens in there that are playing with tribbles... send the servers into cute over-drive... then give the Klingons a mission to blow it all up!
It's been done: http://johnnytest.wikia.com/wiki/Whe..._Marching_Home

It was hilarious too!
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 7
02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Why did this get moved to Feedback?
It's about Penguins!!!

ITS OBSERD lol