Lieutenant
I've been reading through all the complaints and counter-proposals people have regarding the Omega Conversion, reading all of the opinions about how Cryptic is "screwing us over" and loud claims of "I'm cashing out now!" written as threats/ultimatums...

It honestly all baffles me. Because here's the angle that nobody seems to be recognizing:

The conversion is NOT about Dilithium. The conversion is about Omega Marks & BNP.

It's become fairly obvious to me in looking over some of the conversion data people have been posting, that the more existing items you have, the less your overall exchange rate becomes. I mean, one poster mentioned having something like 2 EDC, and receiving 250 Omega Marks in exchange. For people at the low end, that exchange rate is phenomenal - well above the actual relative value.

It's only once you're talking about dozens and dozens of runs' worth of Borg items, that the conversion starts to become something worth being avoided. And it's not at all coincidental that Dilithium begins being rewarded at around that same tier of conversion.

Everyone complaining about the crate is running comparisons solely on the Dilithium they can get now, vs. the Dilithium they'll get later, completely dismissing the fact that they're also receiving hundreds (sometimes thousands!) of Omega Marks, as well as free BNPs. THIS is what the Conversion Crates are used for! The Dilithium is an inconsequential side effect of the diminishing return scale - an obvious bone being thrown to those of us that won't be receiving complete Omega Mark value on their items.

The answer seems obvious that if you're getting Dilithium in your Conversion Crate, then it's likely in your best interest to cash out now!

And don't think that saying you'll be doing so will in any way be seen as a threat or ultimatum by Cryptic: They provided us with the means to do so, as well as the information we needed to make the decision on whether or not to do it, AND sufficient time to take action on that information.

Hell... cashing out now is probably in Cryptic's best interest! That way none of us will have a leg up in the Reputation system in the form of "free" Omega Marks, and will instead have to progress through the system just like any new player would. This is likely the exact same reason they've locked the Crates until T3 (formerly T5), and why they've instituted diminishing returns in the first place - there's probably a max % of overall progression in the system that they wanted to be gotten by legacy players, and everything else had to be adjusted downward according to that cap.

(Which, btw, appears to be 9,000 Marks - that's the highest I've seen reported... that's a LOT of Marks!)

So, let me state my point again, more succinctly:

- The Omega Conversion is solely intended to exchange Borg Items for Omega Marks/BNP.
- The Dilithium being received is NOT the primary intent, but instead a compensatory gesture meant to soften the sting of diminishing returns.
- If you want Dilithium instead, that's a choice that you have the freedom to make. But don't presume that Cryptic will see it as a failing on their part for you to do so.

It's as simple as that.
Commander
# 2
11-08-2012, 10:22 AM
The complain is about purchasing power and how my ability to buy 4 or 5 MK XII sets gets turned into the parts to buy maybe 1 1.5 Mk XI sets?

Nope.
Commander
# 3
11-08-2012, 10:28 AM
You completely ignored the reasoning from the devs themselves: purchasing power... which these boxes do not provide.

Good attempt at spin. I'd give it a 3.2
Captain
# 4
11-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsmaster916 View Post
I've been reading through all the complaints and counter-proposals people have regarding the Omega Conversion, reading all of the opinions about how Cryptic is "screwing us over" and loud claims of "I'm cashing out now!" written as threats/ultimatums...

It honestly all baffles me. Because here's the angle that nobody seems to be recognizing:

The conversion is NOT about Dilithium. The conversion is about Omega Marks & BNP.

It's become fairly obvious to me in looking over some of the conversion data people have been posting, that the more existing items you have, the less your overall exchange rate becomes. I mean, one poster mentioned having something like 2 EDC, and receiving 250 Omega Marks in exchange. For people at the low end, that exchange rate is phenomenal - well above the actual relative value.

It's only once you're talking about dozens and dozens of runs' worth of Borg items, that the conversion starts to become something worth being avoided. And it's not at all coincidental that Dilithium begins being rewarded at around that same tier of conversion.

Everyone complaining about the crate is running comparisons solely on the Dilithium they can get now, vs. the Dilithium they'll get later, completely dismissing the fact that they're also receiving hundreds (sometimes thousands!) of Omega Marks, as well as free BNPs. THIS is what the Conversion Crates are used for! The Dilithium is an inconsequential side effect of the diminishing return scale - an obvious bone being thrown to those of us that won't be receiving complete Omega Mark value on their items.

The answer seems obvious that if you're getting Dilithium in your Conversion Crate, then it's likely in your best interest to cash out now!

And don't think that saying you'll be doing so will in any way be seen as a threat or ultimatum by Cryptic: They provided us with the means to do so, as well as the information we needed to make the decision on whether or not to do it, AND sufficient time to take action on that information.

Hell... cashing out now is probably in Cryptic's best interest! That way none of us will have a leg up in the Reputation system in the form of "free" Omega Marks, and will instead have to progress through the system just like any new player would. This is likely the exact same reason they've locked the Crates until T3 (formerly T5), and why they've instituted diminishing returns in the first place - there's probably a max % of overall progression in the system that they wanted to be gotten by legacy players, and everything else had to be adjusted downward according to that cap.

(Which, btw, appears to be 9,000 Marks - that's the highest I've seen reported... that's a LOT of Marks!)

So, let me state my point again, more succinctly:

- The Omega Conversion is solely intended to exchange Borg Items for Omega Marks/BNP.
- The Dilithium being received is NOT the primary intent, but instead a compensatory gesture meant to soften the sting of diminishing returns.
- If you want Dilithium instead, that's a choice that you have the freedom to make. But don't presume that Cryptic will see it as a failing on their part for you to do so.

It's as simple as that.
Dilithium is worth far more than marks or BNP. Cryptic recognizes this, and they are taking advantage of the user to remove dilithium from the system. Your purchasing power is also nowhere even close, regardless of the dilithium robbery. You can spin it however you want to to try and make it something less harsh, but that's the truth of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-08-2012, 10:34 AM
551 words on how to miss the point.
Simple as that.
Empire Veteran
# 6
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes, part of it IS the dilithium thing, but most people are more looking at the lack of 'equity' they are really getting for their stashes.

It's gonna cost 10 Borg Neural Processors for one piece of a Mk XII set, and most people aren't even getting that many for their piles of STF loot. Sure they will be getting heaps of normal marks, so they will never have to run STFs except for more BNPs.

As Atomictiki said, there's no purchasing power, the thing the devs said they would have. They can't even buy one, or barely buy one piece of a Mk XII set, yet some have heaps of Prototype Salvage and Tech right now, and all that is being converted with a very big loss.

The little amounts of dilithium isn't helping though either.

This is partially why people are 'cashing in' (I did). They see these really low numbers, for those people who have all this loot, and they're gonna lose on a lot. Sure they might get a lot of marks, but it changes little if they're getting hit so hard on their tech level drops.

Cashing in might seem pre-emptive, but at least you can get dil that you can use, even if it takes awhile to refine it all.

Besides, it's not an 'all or nothing' thing, you can cash in most of your stuff, like a lot of those unneeded salvage and tech, and keep some EDC, etc, to boost your Omega Mark count in season 7.

Last edited by mimey2; 11-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Captain
# 7
11-08-2012, 10:52 AM
It works both ways, you got a lot of loot then cash most of it out for dilith, then the converted items get you your leg-up on the new system and all that cashed dilith can then be spent. You may have to play a few missions but it's better than getting robbed blind.

I plan on leaving just the useless and inexpensive loot like common techs and a couple EDC's. Rares and protos will get used or sold.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Captain
# 8
11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
And another huge problem, what if you choose not to do the omega rep ?

In the end it's their own fault; they want us playing their missions but put a lockdown timer on leveling.

Earn your marks, see you in 2 days lmao.. whereas before you could always just run another stf to see if you got anything.

And so locking away your gear comes from a problem they created.

I am trying to explain to myself it's not actually part of the gameplay, that I will be interacting with it for 20 seconds every 2 days, you know a sideproject to the actual game.

And unfortunately I could easily see myself ignoring the reputation system because I already have everything in which case all my items would be lost.
Captain
# 9
11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't know if the Omega and Romulan Marks or the reputation system are going to yield anything more desirable than the equipment I already have. So, I may not be bothering with advancement in those new currencies at all.

Meanwhile, the value of dilithium is a known factor, and I have an ongoing use for it. Knowing that the direct exchange rate for dilithium is going to be crap, and knowing that the direct dilithium mission rewards are taking a hit, cashing out all of my STF loot before season 7 is the practical thing to do.

Could be that all the new content and currencies are the greatest thing ever, but they're not going to force me to gamble what I have already earned on that possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Not to sound like a complete bastard, but: dev alt spotted. If you're trying to spin this conversion as "You're only going to get 5-8% of the dilithium you normally would have, but here's some new swag," you're going to need to boost the OM/BNP gains significantly. If I can get all of the existing gear now, I should be able to get all existing gear then as well. Otherwise, this expansion is a punishment. I know you're trying to gate content and maintaining interest is part of the job, but punishment is not going to bring veterans to the Promised Land.