Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
Yeah, I know, it's not going to happen, but it can't hurt to ask and make the argument.

There are basically 5 things that offensive sci abilities do: control targeting (JS, SS), control movement (GW, TBR, Tractor Beam), take subsystems offline (VM), strip shields (Tachyon Beam, CPB), or drain power (Energy Siphon, TR). All but the first of those has a damage type whose proc boosts its effects: respectively, Chroniton, Phaser, Tetryon, and Polaron.

However, Chroniton is a kinetic weapon type, putting it out of the running, which leaves 3. Of those 3, Phaser is the only one that boosts only a single ability, and because both it and VM have a random and complete effect, it has the greatest likelihood of providing no boost to the ability it is meant to synergize with. That leaves Tetryon and Polaron. Of those, Tetryon boosts only shield drains, but Polaron provides energy drain which will make enemy shields heal slower and be more susceptible to weapon damage, and will reduce enemy movement. That means that it improves both movement control and shield stripping as well as energy draining.

Thus, Polaron weapons are clearly the best general purpose choice for a sci ship. Since the Vesta is a sci ship, that means that Polaron weapons are the best general purpose choice for the Vesta. Surely it is only logical to have that best choice available. I would even pay to buy these from the Zen Store or Dilithium Store, provided the prices were not excessive.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,041
# 2
01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
either give us all weapon types, or Aux turrets or both. but giving us one more weapon type without aux turrets would be just a waste of our time.

neither will happen with big probabilty since the Vesta is already too powerful, the drawback of the phaser proc and turret dmg loss from aux dhcs are atleast some kind of balance (even if it means nothing in this game)
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 3
01-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
neither will happen with big probabilty since the Vesta is already too powerful, the drawback of the phaser proc and turret dmg loss from aux dhcs are atleast some kind of balance (even if it means nothing in this game)
The Vesta is not too powerful except compared to other sci ships, which have not been able to break even with the other classes for PvE at least since I started playing at f2p. Sure, some people claim that one particular sci ship build or another is hugely valuable in PvP, but for the rest of us they've just been the weakest ships available, and it's only been my natural stubbornness that's kept me in them. The Vesta can actually make a contribution to the team that's on a level with other classes and not dependent on someone you've never met being in the right place at the right time and knowing just what to do to exploit it, and for that people keep calling it OP. Being almost as good a contributor as a Breen ship or MVAE is not too powerful, that's almost powerful enough. And I run a Breen ship on my other toon, so I know how they compare.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,041
# 4
01-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
The Vesta is not too powerful except compared to other sci ships, which have not been able to break even with the other classes for PvE at least since I started playing at f2p. Sure, some people claim that one particular sci ship build or another is hugely valuable in PvP, but for the rest of us they've just been the weakest ships available, and it's only been my natural stubbornness that's kept me in them. The Vesta can actually make a contribution to the team that's on a level with other classes and not dependent on someone you've never met being in the right place at the right time and knowing just what to do to exploit it, and for that people keep calling it OP. Being almost as good a contributor as a Breen ship or MVAE is not too powerful, that's almost powerful enough. And I run a Breen ship on my other toon, so I know how they compare.
the Vesta can be built to be on par in DPS with escorts, while having superior CC abilties. if you put aux cannons on that ship, you lose no DPS while increase the CC abilities further, at no cost at at all (plus the tanking capabilties would be increased too)
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 246
# 5
01-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Ah, one must be constantly weary of begging for more milk when your cup is already full that it runs over. The ship just came out a bout 2 months ago right? Are we already clamoring for reform?

You're idea of having polarons on a ship that has only it's one type of weapons is running a bit into greedy. Not only are you given aux cannons that run on aux power so your ship is two stepping everywhere over the current scheme of dps (Every other weapon is running on weapons power which increases nothing but weapons power, aux increases many many many many things.) but now you are asking for more variety in your choices? In a weapon that only that ship can use? It's not like there is anything wrong with the phaser ones as is.

Next thing you know, players are going to want the lances to be anything other then phasers

Or high power beams like the ones that the Chimera use for it's blooms let's put those out for us to get.

Also lets then to have the ability to change fighter weapons set up for their carriers. They should be able to do that too huh? Since the ships are inside their carrier and they have the weapons and th tech to fit a fighter et with whatever they want.

Hmm then you know what would also be something greedy to ask for? A rail gun platform to mount on the cruisers so they cn snip at 20km

List keeps growing and growing and growing and soon you lose all the feasible ideas into the ridiculous. In this instance I think you should just be happy with what you have, the alternative was far worse. If they made more powerful beams I would pay a premium for them but it ain't going to happen. so I guess dreams are good to have.

Last edited by lasonio; 01-15-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 6
01-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Considering quad cannons are still faction and damage type locked, not going to happen.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,206
# 7
01-15-2013, 06:33 AM
There is no way you are going to match an escorts DPS with Aux cannons. First off, you have less weapons slots. Second you lose your turrets, or at least lose running them at full power. Third they are statistically inferior to other cannons you could load instead. Forth you lose out on the commander tac slot. Yes, you can add to your DPS with sci abilities but in a world of Chel Gretts and MVAEs you have escorts that can use those abilities as well, with more weapons, that all run on weapon power, with better stats on the cannons, and jucied with more tac abilities.

Now that the math is out of the way... the Quantum phaser console is too strong for me to run anything other then phaser on my vesta. The differences between phaser and polaron are not great enough for me to give up the 8 console boost I can have running with it (4x phaser consoles, 4x particle gen)

Sure, given the right circumstances a Vesta can put out some crazy burst damage... but that is not DPS. Given equal footing an escort is going to put out more consistant DPS.
Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 8
01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Well, that died quickly. Thank you kimmym and stirling191 for actually responding rationally to the idea proposed, you were the only ones. Ah well, I just really wanted to be able to stack my TR with Polaron procs so its effects would actually be noticeable.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 98
# 9
01-16-2013, 11:01 PM
i'd be happy if they released Aux turrets
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,041
# 10
01-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
There is no way you are going to match an escorts DPS with Aux cannons. First off, you have less weapons slots. Second you lose your turrets, or at least lose running them at full power. Third they are statistically inferior to other cannons you could load instead. Forth you lose out on the commander tac slot. Yes, you can add to your DPS with sci abilities but in a world of Chel Gretts and MVAEs you have escorts that can use those abilities as well, with more weapons, that all run on weapon power, with better stats on the cannons, and jucied with more tac abilities.

Now that the math is out of the way... the Quantum phaser console is too strong for me to run anything other then phaser on my vesta. The differences between phaser and polaron are not great enough for me to give up the 8 console boost I can have running with it (4x phaser consoles, 4x particle gen)

Sure, given the right circumstances a Vesta can put out some crazy burst damage... but that is not DPS. Given equal footing an escort is going to put out more consistant DPS.
I was thinking with the aux turrets lol. kinda wandered off to my own ideas
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 PM.