Lt. Commander
# 1 Time gate levels!
11-13-2012, 06:14 PM
DISCLAIMER: This post is meant as a means of explaining exactly why Season 7's timegates and removal of randomization is a terrible, terrible thing. I tried to make it as obviously sarcastic as possible, but just in case I didn't, please do not read this as a serious request.

I am a casual player. I only have 15 minutes per day to play, and it's so disheartening to see people levelling up so much quicker than I can.

That's why I think Cryptic should take a cue from the Reputation system and add time gating to levels, too.

Adding time gates to levels would really level the playing field between people that spend hours and hours of their time playing and people like me who log in for barely enough time to set Doffs. It's just not fair that they can get from Lt to VA in a few days, while i'm stuck spending weeks just to get to Lt Commander!

So I propose that each promotion should take progressively longer to unlock once reached, as follows.

Lieutenant->Lieutenant Commander: 2 days
Lieutenant Commander-> Commander: 1 week
Commander->Captain: 3 weeks
Captain->Rear Admiral, Lower Half: 8 weeks
Rear Admiral, Lower Half->Rear Admiral, Upper Half: 1 year, 8 months
Rear Admiral, Upper Half->Vice Admiral: 4 years

This would not only make things much more fair for casual players, it would be so much more realistic, simulating the mountains of paperwork real-world military promotions go through. Of course, people shouldn't be able to get any experience during promotions--that would still be unfair.

Additionally, I believe Cryptic had the right idea by removing random drops from STFs. I just get so jealous when someone else gets a good drop and I don't, so much so that I wish they didn't get anything! It's much better now that there's no chance to get anything but a few marks.

That's why i think this mindset should be applied to the entire game. Get rid of accuracy, defense, critical hits, misses, procs, every bit of random chance. I want to be able to accurately predict any fight based on spreadsheet data--and nobody likes seeing those big crit numbers pop up, anyway.

So please, Cryptic, do your casual players a favor and apply the Reputation system mindset to every aspect of design. After all, we're your core playerbase!

(P.S. Who else is excited for Marvel Heroes? I'm so dumping STO when that comes out!)
Captain
# 2
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Dear... god... No....

Please for the Love of the Great Bird, NO!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post
Dear... god... No....

Please for the Love of the Great Bird, NO!!!!
...The disclaimer wasnt enough for you? -_-
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
11-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthrider View Post
DISCLAIMER: This post is meant as a means of explaining exactly why Season 7's timegates and removal of randomization is a terrible, terrible thing. I tried to make it as obviously sarcastic as possible, but just in case I didn't, please do not read this as a serious request.

Lieutenant->Lieutenant Commander: 2 days
Lieutenant Commander-> Commander: 1 week
Commander->Captain: 3 weeks
Captain->Rear Admiral, Lower Half: 8 weeks
Rear Admiral, Lower Half->Rear Admiral, Upper Half: 1 year, 8 months
Rear Admiral, Upper Half->Vice Admiral: 4 years
lol i sure as heck HOPE the devs dont get it into their greedy little schemes to implement something like this.....that would suck.....heck my way of takeing the time to level my alt characters is start up as many doffs missions as i can and maybe run a patrol or 2 each day....my fed eng is still under level 40 and my fed sci is under 20 lol..which i made both about 3 months ago at the end of august....only if i wanted to power my way to the end i could get them from their current levels to 50 in about a week or so...game play week...which comes out to be about a mere 2 weeks in real time.

Love the post though made me laugh and understand more about the time gating crunchs that the projects (both fleet base, embasy and rep systems) are

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Quote:

I am a casual player. I only have 15 minutes per day to play, and it's so disheartening to see people levelling up so much quicker than I can.
From S7 Blog #17
'...When measured against the max refining cap of 8000 Dilithium per day, it means that a player may need to invest about 5 days at 4 hours per session for the best MK 10 Purple item'
So sorry, you do not fit Cryptic's model of the Ideal Player! Please make more time in your day for STO and you will see the benefits you can grind for!

Sarcasm aside..STO has become a bit of a mushroom of sorts. I actually do feel that we rank up way too fast in the game. It takes barely a week or three for most people to jump from 1 to 50, especially when people discover the level-cleavers like the Mirror Incursion.

There is not enough time for people to appreciate their Lieutenant Commander / Commander / Captain rank, to learn the game's undocumented ins and outs and to really get a feel for the ship they have before they're promoted to the next level.

So of course, with a game that's utterly loaded with level cap players, the endgame is where it's at and Cryptic just has to keep shoveling more content specifically for the endgame to keep us occupied.

I do not expect Cryptic to slow down the leveling. They intentionally spiked it in order to keep the sorry sad ADHD crowd they were going to be courting for F2P engaged because, quite frankly, the content and capabilities of lesser ranks sucks and people want their awesome super shinies naow. There are precious little to no awesome shinies in the lesser ranks. No reason to want to stay a Commander or a Captain for just a bit longer, unless you are a roleplayer, or really attached to the Excelsior or Galaxy you got.

I don't see a way for them to make their lackluster lower ranks more palatable, and time-gates, while a funny concept and sure to probably enrage people, aren't the way to go. Then again, they are using timegates as a means to slow down the ravenous grinders they've got and make it so that we don't burn through their repetitive content too fast. Something similar isn't beyond the realm of possibility if they really cared about fleshing out the lower ranks.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Captain
# 6
11-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Quote:
...The disclaimer wasnt enough for you? -_-
It was... but it's still a horrible idea
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Regardless of their intention, artificially gating progress is terrible for all types of players. Hardcore players can't progress at their own pace, casual players can't even make daily progression. It's a SNAFU.
Captain
# 8
11-14-2012, 03:16 PM
While a huge fan of sarcasm as a rule, what bothers me about the tone of the OP is that it falls into the old "blame group X players for Cryptic's screw up." We foundry authors have been getting slammed all over for "ruining the game" over the console clikie nonsense because Cryptic allowed a flaw in their system to fester for over a year.

Please do not fall into this trap. If we start turning on each other rather than those who wish to exploit us, half their work done for them. Come to think of it, giving the state of the world right now I would extend this advice to all corners.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm not hating on casual players. If anything casual players are hurt most by the ridiculous timers. The thing is, Cryptic thinks this change *helps* casual players, for whatever reason, when in reality it hurts everyone.