Ensign
# 1 Am I ready for STFs?
11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
With the introduction of Omega Reputation, I want to start doing STFs, but I'd like to make sure I'm not that guy with the terrible ship whose lack of DPS or survivability drags the whole team down.

Here's what I'm using right now:
Science Captain, Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit
Fore/Aft Weapons: 2x Polarized Tetryon Beam Array Mk XI, Phased Tetryon Beam Array Mk XI, Quantum Torpedo Launcher Mk XI
Shields/Deflector/Impulse: Aegis Set
Engineering Consoles: Rule 62 Multipurpose, 2x Neutronium Alloy Mk XI, Assimilated Module
Science Consoles: 2x Field Generator Mk XI
Tactical Consoles: 3x Tetryon Pulse Generator Mk XI

Tactical Abilities: Attack Pattern Beta 2, Beam Fire at Will 2, Tactical Team 1
Engineering Abilities: DEM 3 / Aux to Structural 3 / Extend Shields 3, Reverse Shield Polarity 2, Aux to Structural 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2, Emergency Power to Shields 1, 2x Emergency Power to Weapons 1
Science Abilities: Hazard Emitters 2, Hazard Emitters 1

Space Doffs: 2x Conn (Tactical Team), Warp Core Engineer, Damage Control Engineer, Sensors Officer

From looking around on the forum it seems like I need to work on my space doffs, but I'm not sure if the rest of my setup is acceptable in an STF. If it's not acceptable, I do have the Breen, Jem'Hadar, and Reman Mk XI equipment sets, and my other tier 5 ships are Galor, D'Kyr, Nebula Retrofit, Intrepid Retrofit, and Odyssey (the event one, not the store one.)

Any advice / recommendations / changes so I don't totally embarrass myself when I go to do the space STFs?

EDIT: Updated to my current setup, based on recommendations given in this thread.

Last edited by zephael43; 11-23-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
11-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Looks ok to me for normal STF's, only see one problem, you don't seem to have any need for the plasma distribution manifolds, i suggest ditching those and get a Monotainium and a neutronium (or ablative) console to slot for engineering consoles.
"If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
Ensign
# 3
11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
I figured the total +7 power would help for broadsides, but I guess the survivability would be more important in an STF.
Republic Veteran
# 4
11-21-2012, 03:34 PM
+7 power is nothing, might i suggest getting EPTW to keep your power levels up and using a battery as well, rotate them off with a battery doff slotted, should be near full power uptime on your weapons.
"If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
Career Officer
# 5
11-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Use weapons and aux batteries since you can slot 4 devices.

Weapons for DPS, AUX for Hazard Emitters/Transfer Shield Strength

I assume you are using Evasive Maneuvers then to break hold of tractor beams? If so, AUX battery should help as well.
Republic Veteran
# 6
11-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemike View Post

Weapons for DPS, AUX for Hazard Emitters/Transfer Shield Strength

I assume you are using Evasive Maneuvers then to break hold of tractor beams? If so, AUX battery should help as well.

Actually there are dual use batteries available, just a bit spendy on the exchange, its another thought since i use them like candy lol
Ensign
# 7
11-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirisee View Post
might i suggest getting EPTW to keep your power levels up and using a battery as well, rotate them off with a battery doff slotted
Should I drop my second Engineering Team for that, or my EPtS 1? And the "battery doff" is the Maintenance Engineer that gives bonuses when you use batteries? I can do that, I have the Exocomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemike View Post
My devices are Weapons Battery / Heavy Tetryon Satellite Turret / Scorpion Fighters / Subspace Field Modulator right now, I imagine I should probably swap the turret or fighters for the aux battery, right?

Last edited by zephael43; 11-21-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Commander
# 8
11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
you are better off than a lot of people will be. you should have no problem in normal. you should do fine in elites as well.

for cruisers, you should always have the holy grail* of 2x eptw 1 and 2x epts 2. when chaining all 4 of these, you can have 100% uptime on both emergency powers to weapons and shields. change the armor to electroceramic, for increased plasma resist.

might i suggest getting 2x v. rare conn doffs that reduce the time on tactical team. tt1 is a very useful skill all around as it auto distributes your shields for 10/15 seconds. you'll get 2/3 uptime. with the 2 conn officers, it would be like running 2x tt1.

your choice of torp skill is up to you. vary between spread and hy to see which one you like better. depending on your play style, both have their uses.

you can respond here as to where you want to put the four skills and i'll happily create a keybind for you that will help you cycle to emergency powers.

Last edited by xsharpex; 11-21-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Captain
# 9
11-21-2012, 04:15 PM
If you want to do lots of damage in a cruiser, here's my recommendation

---------------
Fore: 4x disruptor or antiproton single cannons
Aft: 4x disruptor or antiproton turrets

Note 1: In the case of turrets and single cannons, the more damage mods the better. CrtD and CrtH don't add much to their damage and ACC is a waste against NPCs, even with the crit overflow)

Note 2: Yes a cannon build will do more damage then a beam boat build, as long as you make sure to keep on buffing with cannon rapid fire. Also the cannon build will get the most out of directed energy modulation due to the number of hits. In fact the cannon build is the number one damage dealing build in a fed cruiser.

Deflector: Borg
Engines: Borg
Shield: MACO

Notes 3: Aegis is probably the best choice out of those available to you at the moment.

Engineering:-
RCS
Neutronium x2
Borg console or electroceramic

Science:-
Field generator x2

Tactical:-
specific energy weapon damage boosting console x3

Boff powers:-
Lt Cmdr Tact: Tact team 1, Cannon rapid fire (CRF) 1, cannon rapid fire 2
Cmdr Eng: Emergency power to weapons or auxiliary 1, DEM1, Emergency power to shields 3, auxiliary to structural integrity field 3 or DEM3
Lt Eng: Emergency power to weapons or auxiliary 1, reverse shield polarity 1
Ensign Eng: Emergency power to shields 1
Lt Sci: Hazard emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2

Note 4: Use either 2x emergency power to weapons for extra weapon power or 2x emergency power to auxiliary to boost the aux dependent heals (hazard emitters, transfer shield strength and auxiliary to structural integrity field)

Doffs:-
2x purple shield doffs
1x purple space-warfare anti-Borg doff which adds +10% damage to Borg(called Dlyrene)
2x purple conn doffs (tactical team cooldown reduction version)
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 50 Engineer - Fleet Avenger
Selia - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Avenger
Toval - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Mogai
Ensign
# 10
11-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsharpex View Post
for cruisers, you should always have the holy trinity of 2x eptw 1 and 2x epts 2. when chaining all 4 of these, you can have 100% uptime on both emergency powers to weapons and shields.

you can respond here as to where you want to put the four skills and i'll happily create a keybind for you that will help you cycle to emergency powers.
I could use EPtS 1 and 3 on my Commander engineer, and EPtW 1 on my Lieutenant and Ensign, but then my only hull heal is Hazard Emitters. Should I swap out my Aux to Inertial Dampeners for Engineering Team 2 / Aux to SIF 1?