Career Officer
# 11
11-14-2012, 04:20 AM
agreed
you have to do this OR that OR something else.

and worse i am now unable to choose the content i ENJOY to play and get my daily dilithium, no Cryptic chooses what content i should play, even if i HATE that other content and am bored out by it.

Instead i now have to choose what types of marks in my grind UI of choice i will want to fill next and do whatever mission CRYPTIC put those marks on... if they are fun to me or not does not matter now.

So i just played a Romulan Mark Mission, a Borg Cube spawned and i got no Omega Marks for it (obviously), so i'm fighting Borg here and get Romulan Marks.
Why does this feel wrong?
Captain
# 12
11-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
agreed
you have to do this OR that OR something else.

and worse i am now unable to choose the content i ENJOY to play and get my daily dilithium, no Cryptic chooses what content i should play, even if i HATE that other content and am bored out by it.

Instead i now have to choose what types of marks in my grind UI of choice i will want to fill next and do whatever mission CRYPTIC put those marks on... if they are fun to me or not does not matter now.

So i just played a Romulan Mark Mission, a Borg Cube spawned and i got no Omega Marks for it (obviously), so i'm fighting Borg here and get Romulan Marks.
Why does this feel wrong?
Yeah, kind of kills the fun, for me.
I want to play the content I enjoy, and progress towards a goal I want to reach. Not either/or. Also, if I'd want to manage projects all the time I'd become a project manager for a living. I'd get better rewards, and a raise every once in a while.

Come to think of it, maybe they are aiming to put some of the bureaucratic stuff into admiralship, which would make sense, from a canon perspective.

Anyway. I'm off to play a game for awhile. Like, running story content that I like, and is rewarding. Plenty of possibilities out there, after all.

And after that, I'm going to do some work. Stuff that I do not particularly like doing, but earns me good money, that I can spend on whatever I like.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-14-2012, 04:45 AM
I'm not sold on much of the new content, but if you want to minimise time on the rep systems, the romulan sector patrol daily will provide ample marks to avoid the tedium of the ground based romulan fetch quests - you can farm system patrols repeatedly, and if you want to spend as little time as possible I would recommend the dialog tree mission in the acamar system.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-14-2012, 04:53 AM
I really like the Romulan content, but as I stated in another post the STF changes has not only killed all incentive to run anything but Infected for marks-it's makes rolling/playing alts painful to the extreme.

I was going to roll a Klingon to help my fleetmates with the Klingon Starbase which is lagging behind our Fed one, but I work fulltime and it would be too much hassle to put a 3rd character on my roster.

I lose playing a Klingon. My fleetmates lose another potential source of materials for the Starbase, and Cryptic loses the Zen I would have payed for things like a T5 B'rel.

We all lose.
Rihannsu
# 15
11-14-2012, 04:55 AM
i do not see a problem at all.

just forget STF's. There is Dill and Omega marks earned in the Fleet Actions. The Omega Marks requirements are so lol low you can do 2 fleet actions taking no longer than an STF and you are done.

EC?
Just try and do the Tau Dewi (or how is it called) patrol mission. From the loot i have trashed to replicator I've got 300k.

My problem is with the Fleet Marks. Nobody seems to be queueing up for these in the KDF.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Career Officer
# 16
11-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Now that the OP mentions it:

Right before Dilithium came out the devs removed the different types/tiers of marks because they wanted to simplify the currency system. The number of currencies for different types of items were too varied to know which one to obtain.

So the devs consolidated them all into dilithium and energy credits. It seems like that entire consolidation was for nothing as our currency count is back up to the following:

1)Energy Credits
2) Dilithium
3)Fleet credits
4)Fleet Emblems
5)Omega Marks
6) Romulan Marks
7)Latinum

So will we be getting a new currency with each patch now? What happened to the simplification of currency design that was intended for the STO economy?
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
11-14-2012, 05:03 AM
I am going to miss grinding STF's. They were pretty much all I wanted to do in STO.
Now it will be like:
1. Run a couple STF's, get the Omega marks, start the research, log off and go play a real MMO.
2. Come back in a couple months, run a few Elite, get MK XII gear I always wanted, then log off and go play a real MMO.

This must be exactly what Cryptic wants from their players because it is surely what they deisgned.

Thanks for everything!
Career Officer
# 18
11-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyias1 View Post

Right before Dilithium came out the devs removed the different types/tiers of marks because they wanted to simplify the currency system. The number of currencies for different types of items were too varied to know which one to obtain.

So the devs consolidated them all into dilithium and energy credits. It seems like that entire consolidation was for nothing as our currency count is back up to the following:

1)Energy Credits
2) Dilithium
3)Fleet credits
4)Fleet Emblems
5)Omega Marks
6) Romulan Marks
7)Latinum

So will we be getting a new currency with each patch now? What happened to the simplification of currency design that was intended for the STO economy?
The point of removing the old marks was to get rid of the obsolete currency in the game, not to simplify anything. Those old marks were level gated, so they had absolutely no use at level 40/50. All of the new currencies are valuable for a level 50 player. It also gives the designers the ability to distribute different currency types to specific types of missions to encourage the usage of content that has not seen much use (Big Dig, SB24, Gorn Minefield, etc). I'm not saying that it is perfect, but there is rational reasoning behind the design.
Captain
# 19
11-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyias1 View Post

1)Energy Credits
2) Dilithium
3)Fleet credits
4)Fleet Emblems
5)Omega Marks
6) Romulan Marks
7)Latinum

Don't forget the lobi crystals and (arguably) borg neural things.
Just be glad they simplified before they added these... Oh my, what a mess that would've been. It's plenty messy as is.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
11-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
This.

Exactly this.

I, as a casual player, now pretty much have to choose what parts of the game I want to progress in.
I can go for contributing to my small fleet's starbase.
I can try to get somewhere contributing to our fleet's embassy.
I can go for dilithium, to trade in for zen and buy c-store stuff.
I can go do stf's to progress in omega rep.
I can go do Romulan stuff for that rep.
Or I can try and get some ec's, which are needed for 4 out of 5 of these.

As it was, one could easily get by on 1-2 hours every day or even every other day, and feel like accomplishing something. Now, not so much. There is no way for me to do all of that and still make any sort of progress towards reaching the goals in a reasonable amount of time.

I've already decided not to be bothered with embassy stuff, or further starbase development. The rewards, while nice, such as the new science consoles, are just not worth it.

I guess I'll try to get my Romulan and Omega rep to t2 or 3, depending on how the demands scale, and settle for mk x gear from their pricey stores and about half of the new captain skills/skill bonuses.

I'm glad I got some decent gear pre-change, or I would've been pretty much excluded from any dabbling in competitive play I might like to do every once in a while.

Edit: also, this pretty much bombs simultaneously progressing on 2 alts for me. I can not manage to do all of these things on 3 characters, within the time I have. I simply can't.

Iguess they have succeeded in accomplishing their goals of having people take longer or pay more money, while dissuading people from having multiple characters or alts they use so there is less chance the player has too much in-game money and thereby does not buy more Zen fror Dil. Their main goal all along since rthe PWE acquisition.

*Sigh*, accomplishing your financials goals by hurting your player base in all areas is not the way to succeed Crytpic! If we dont talk up the game and bring new people in, then you will eventually see a diminishing playerbase as those of us who remain burn out.
or seek other MMO options