Captain
# 21
11-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Not to fear, I'm sure S8 will include a brand new round of currency consolidation that screws over anyone with more than 100k unrefined dilith.
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
11-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malifae View Post
The point of removing the old marks was to get rid of the obsolete currency in the game, not to simplify anything. Those old marks were level gated, so they had absolutely no use at level 40/50. All of the new currencies are valuable for a level 50 player. It also gives the designers the ability to distribute different currency types to specific types of missions to encourage the usage of content that has not seen much use (Big Dig, SB24, Gorn Minefield, etc). I'm not saying that it is perfect, but there is rational reasoning behind the design.

I agree that they can now, and ARE, use the new currency typoes to force our player behavior to do things we would not regularly do otherwise.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
11-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Not to fear, I'm sure S8 will include a brand new round of currency consolidation that screws over anyone with more than 100k unrefined dilith.

If they pull that off, my hat is off to Cryptic for being only game company to pull off a trifecta of pissing off pklaywers three times and STILL getting them to keep playing.
Captain
# 24
11-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Ugh, did someone just say "synergies"?

Corporate middle management D-bag alert!
Rihannsu
# 25
11-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post
Now in S7, there is absolutely no more synergy at all. All activities we do only help us out with a single currency!
That's the point. they want to mostly break up where the currency/rewards are so players have to play all the content to get what they want. i found myself doing it already.

i needed romulan marks - off to new romulus, then i needed some omega marks, off to do the stf's, then i wanted some dilithium, off to do pvp, and fleet actions.

for better or for worse, depending on your point of view, to get all the rewards you need to spend a much greater amount of time in game and over a greater variety of activities than before.

now this all has benefits and disadvantages. if you are restricted in time then you want to progress as quickly as you can and now it will feel slower. also progressing down one course does nothing for the others.

if you spend a lot of time in game because you want to be here, you might actually enjoy being pushed to play a variety of content rather than just grinding stf's over and over. having a solid reason to pvp, and do fleet actions again was a nice break from my usually gameplay.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Rihannsu
# 26
11-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
That's the point. they want to mostly break up where the currency/rewards are so players have to play all the content to get what they want. i found myself doing it already.

i needed romulan marks - off to new romulus, then i needed some omega marks, off to do the stf's, then i wanted some dilithium, off to do pvp, and fleet actions.

for better or for worse, depending on your point of view, to get all the rewards you need to spend a much greater amount of time in game and over a greater variety of activities than before.

now this all has benefits and disadvantages. if you are restricted in time then you want to progress as quickly as you can and now it will feel slower. also progressing down one course does nothing for the others.

if you spend a lot of time in game because you want to be here, you might actually enjoy being pushed to play a variety of content rather than just grinding stf's over and over. having a solid reason to pvp, and do fleet actions again was a nice break from my usually gameplay.
That depends on the person I suppose.

I for one do not appreciate being forced away from getting what I need in STF's.
Captain
# 27
11-14-2012, 07:01 AM
The original poster is exactly right.

Season 6: Run a few elite STF missions in a day and get my dilithium and credits and then move on to things like doffing or helping my fleet mates with getting set items.

Season 7: I start my reputation projects cooking, then I go play the absolutely terrible missions that still give dilithium, then I go watch loadings screens for an hour to earn some credits... and by the time that's done, I won't have any time left for my alt characters or my fleet mates (who may not even be trying to get the same "currency" I currently am).

Extremely disappointed in season 7. I tried to be optimistic. I said "wait and see" to the doomsayers. That was back when we were told that STF and fleet actions were both giving dilithium.

But now reality has hit. Cryptic has basically killed my alt characters and badly crippled my ability to participate with friends by making everything take five times longer, forcing me to be selfish with my time. I'm having a serious crisis of motivation to even play STO at all.
Career Officer
# 28
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
The original poster is exactly right.

Season 6: Run a few elite STF missions in a day and get my dilithium and credits and then move on to things like doffing or helping my fleet mates with getting set items.

Season 7: I start my reputation projects cooking, then I go play the absolutely terrible missions that still give dilithium, then I go watch loadings screens for an hour to earn some credits... and by the time that's done, I won't have any time left for my alt characters or my fleet mates (who may not even be trying to get the same "currency" I currently am).

Extremely disappointed in season 7. I tried to be optimistic. I said "wait and see" to the doomsayers. That was back when we were told that STF and fleet actions were both giving dilithium.

But now reality has hit. Cryptic has basically killed my alt characters and badly crippled my ability to participate with friends by making everything take five times longer, forcing me to be selfish with my time. I'm having a serious crisis of motivation to even play STO at all.
I know what you mean.
Isn't it...ironic that they added the feature to switch between alts without logging out/in and eliminated the need to switch between alts with the very same release?
Captain
# 29
11-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Two evenings of Season 7 and I'm already at my limits of how often I can stand Starbase 24. I'd love to play some of the new Romulan stuff, but it feels like a waste when I still have 50 marks left over from yesterday and I can't even use them until another 20 hours have passed.

The dil changes and the singleplayer progress time-gating, this is just not motivating in any form anymore. Guess I'm out until Cryptic realizes they made a mistake and fixed it.
Commander
# 30
11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malifae View Post
The point of removing the old marks was to get rid of the obsolete currency in the game, not to simplify anything. Those old marks were level gated, so they had absolutely no use at level 40/50. All of the new currencies are valuable for a level 50 player. It also gives the designers the ability to distribute different currency types to specific types of missions to encourage the usage of content that has not seen much use (Big Dig, SB24, Gorn Minefield, etc). I'm not saying that it is perfect, but there is rational reasoning behind the design.
They'd be better off actually listening to player feedback and making that content into something that people would actually WANT to play, instead of leaving it in the un-fun state it is and just tacking some "currency" reward onto it that forces you to trudge through something you don't even enjoy.

But I'm sure some suit will look at their precious numbers and say "Wow, we knocked it out of the park with this one, look at how many people are playing FAs now!" and use the same "strategy" in future updates.