Captain
# 11
12-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
Uh, no... The KDF and Federation exist in a state of war. Their only cooperation is against the borg. Everything else in this game promotes out-and-out war-time aggression. They protect their borders on both sides. It is NOT an open galaxy
So why not make it such that in neutral zones you are safe but when you fly across the boarder into enemy space you become fair game for that faction unless you have Diplomatic immunity or Raiding party?
Career Officer
# 12
12-02-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm new to this discussion, but wouldn't merging all the sector blocks into one slow down the server response? My impression is that all the different sector blocks are all different instances and effectively different programs. I would think merging all that into one would really bog down the game speed unless you did instanced versions of the entire map. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 13
12-02-2012, 06:07 AM
I have always liked the idea of 1 large sector space, it would make space feel a lot larger than it currently does plus I would like to be able to use auto pilot from DS9 to say... the new Romulan homeworld or the Sol system without any walls stopping me.
Rihannsu
# 14
12-02-2012, 08:38 AM
they could leave existing system "AS IS" , and add a new, border-free zone.. to explore, to have random encounters with random civilizations, to build a base.. whatever..

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Lieutenant
# 15
12-02-2012, 08:44 AM
I think they should merge it into one big map.. with all the different zones it'll be good... i think
Commander
# 16
12-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
So why not make it such that in neutral zones you are safe but when you fly across the boarder into enemy space you become fair game for that faction unless you have Diplomatic immunity or Raiding party?
I support this ^
Ensign
# 17
12-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopbang View Post
I support this ^
Me too. But I don't think we will ever see either "One Sector Map to Rule Them All", or consensual open world PVP, as much as most of want to see it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Agree.

But who knows... later on, they could consider it.

I have the impression they have clear priorities now until next Season(s), and then there will be time to invent and see the bigger revamps.
Captain
# 19
12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post

That said, I dislike the fake and arbitrary layout of the sector blocks we currently have. It's dumb. We should have a more open map, more like a donut shape. We should have the center blocked out and un-travellable because it is a supermassive cluster of megastars and black holes dense enough to keep the galaxy (the ENTIRE galaxy) rotating around it.
Not true, this not a map of the entire galaxy just two quadrants and it may not be the complete two quadrants. I think having earth the centre of the map is a little medeval though.

Im all for the OP's idea I hate all the little sector blocks it can get confusing and I hatewarping into unmapped space by accident because I wasnt paying attention.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 20
12-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Braaaaains.... Braaaaaaaaaains...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.