Career Officer
# 21
12-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
I'm new to this discussion, but wouldn't merging all the sector blocks into one slow down the server response? My impression is that all the different sector blocks are all different instances and effectively different programs. I would think merging all that into one would really bog down the game speed unless you did instanced versions of the entire map. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If I'm not mistaken. That is exactly the reason cryptic kind of give up the idea. for sure, they could just make a big map and limit the population on a level the server could handle. But they justified that this would make the galaxy feel unpopulated.

My personal opinion: I think less populated galaxy is better. Space is empty. The enterprise didn't find another starfleet vessel while running around. Usually when they found another ship, is because it was emitting a distress call or the captain of the other ship has called or something like this.

And the OP has a point. Slipstream right now is sometimes a wasted ability. The ideal solution would be the map merge. We would not waste it so much and aslo we would face a lot less loading screens. Specially the DOFFers. But to reduce cooldown on the slipstream would already improve things.
========================================
Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm
Click here for a compilation of usefull tools and tutorials
Career Officer
# 22
12-23-2012, 01:41 PM
How about a compromise instead of 1 large map merge have all the various factions as individual blocks rather than the whole galaxy, so a fed block, klink block, rom block etc and open it up with invisible walls that they put on ground maps to stop klinks going into sirrus / heart of fed space and vice versa which still retains diplo immunity, should be less stressful on the servers than 1 large map whilst still keeping space relatively populated...
Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
Career Officer
# 23
12-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfreddie View Post
How about a compromise instead of 1 large map merge have all the various factions as individual blocks rather than the whole galaxy, so a fed block, klink block, rom block etc and open it up with invisible walls that they put on ground maps to stop klinks going into sirrus / heart of fed space and vice versa which still retains diplo immunity, should be less stressful on the servers than 1 large map whilst still keeping space relatively populated...
That doesn't really fix much. Klinks don't have much space, Fed is huge, and it's still blocking direct Point-A to Point-B warp. I appreciate the feedback, though.
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)