Captain
OK, so the wrapper isn't new, but you now may have to actually play 3 Foundry missions. The Foundry spotlight rewards are new.

So, would the following new incentives compel you to play Foundry missions?

Daily Wrapper: Spend at least an hour and a half (probably more like 2 to 3 hours) playing 3 real missions for 1440 Dilithium (and perhaps 50 FMs). Maybe this could be shorter if missions like the Nagus dailies count. Let's assume not. And maybe, if you are a ninja, you can complete all three in one hour during the event, thus earning you a bonus.

Edit: A dev later in this thread says it's a minimum of 20 minutes, so you should be able to do it in a little over an hour if you find 3 missions that take exactly 20 minutes to play (plus sector space travel).

Foundry spotlight rewards: Spend 30-45 minutes playing 1 featured mission to earn:

Quote:
The reward is random. You could get blue or better gear or a special Duty Officer mini pack. Something like that, kind of like what you get on Nukara.
Edit: the spotlight cannot be combined with the officer daily.

Edit Edit: Wait, no that is a bug, so you should be able to get both rewards playing 3 missions.

Are these rewards compelling? Would you take a break from farming or fleet mark grinding, etc.? How do they compare to other rewards, given the time investment of 2 to 4 hours?

This isn't a debate about the clickies or nerfing or any of that stuff. I'd simply like to know what you think about these rewards v. the time you have to invest to get them.

If you think that 1440 dil, 50 FMs, and a random blue or better drop is not worth 2 to 4 hours of your time, then what kind of rewards would be worth 2 to 4 hours of your time, via Foundry missions?

Last edited by kirksplat; 11-13-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
11-10-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure, I don't really care about gear much but maybe if they give like mini packs of the doff pack they are about to discontinue...3 mini packs for hours of time would be cool and I definitely would but I doubt they would give that much.

Or maybe if they could at least guarantee one mini pack for doing all three I think I would consider that...least for days I have plenty of free time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-10-2012, 07:31 AM
If they pull the clickies I will probably not see another Foundry mission for years.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
# 4
11-10-2012, 07:39 AM
I won't spend an hour doing anything in game for 1440 Dilithium. Fleet Marks are irrelevant as if I can't earn them easily then I just won't bother.

Foundry Missions are something that I do when I'm bored and just want to see something anything that I haven't seen before in STO - I play one maybe every couple of months or so. Even then, I prefer them to be short and concise with a similar play time to the Featured Episodes - maybe 30-45 mins.

These new 'incentives' won't change that.

*Edit* and if you really wanted to entice me into playing a two-hour Foundry mission, I'd need to get 8000 Dilithium as the reward since that's time I could've spent elsewhere in the game earning that.

An alternate might be unique Doffs, space and ground gear sets etc. I'd much rather play a two-hour mission to be guaranteed the Mk XI Reman Deflector than PuG the vault for the datalogs...
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 11-10-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Captain
# 5
11-10-2012, 07:43 AM
No.

No reasonable incentive will get me to play content that I may not enjoy for an hour.

I don't mind wasting 5 or 10 minutes on something to realize I don't like it. I don't even really mind 20 minutes. But an hour at risk each time I play? No.
Rihannsu
# 6
11-10-2012, 08:00 AM
I think that approach is quite good.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 7
11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
First of all, Foundry missions need better categorization based on player investment. Time is one metric but need not be the only one. I would like to be able to have a variety of metrics including skill or things like putting in certain kinds of vendors (ie. melee weapons vendor) and then having melee fights.

Second, randomization is only good if the average prize is decent or exchangable and if there are genuinely good rewards in there.

I would like to see a Foundry rep system and see the systems design team handed the task of designing rewards based on popular missions and authors, possibly including special BOs, consoles, and ships taken from the plots of Foundry missions.

The obvious perks are possibly things like a Holo-duplicate of Barclay's daughter or purple, upgraded Helna DO, but I think it would make the spotlight missions have more impact if they were reflected in rewards tied to a rep system.

What I think the Foundry needs, aside from updates to assets like costumes, and some mechanical enhancements are unique rewards that can only be had via the Foundry.
Captain
# 8
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I also wonder if there is any sort of integration, like some fleet project might require X number of a drop that can only be found a. on the exchange and b. as a spotlight drop. We see this with with Cryptic missions, but almost nothing about the Foundry is integrated with the projects.

Obviously, they could be with a few tweaks. People have to grind or spend a ton of ECs on Romulan ale. It would be good for the foundry if one of those commodities only dropped as a random spotlight reward. Even if the player doesn't need it for their own stuff, it would grab a pretty penny on the exchange.

I doubt there will be integration though.
Career Officer
# 9
11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
It's plausible that if we had limited control over what is rewarded, it could be incentive to play the mission.

With Dilithium, if they could scale it somehow where the if you are in a short 15 minute Foundry mission, you get lets say 480 Dilithium, but long 2 hour missions, you get 4000 Dilithium. And to prevent exploitation, perhaps somekind of checkpoint system that adds as you progress in the storyline so you can at least get some reward if you had to leave early. But there is also a timer involved so you can't put all these checkpoints and turn it into a clickfest.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Rihannsu
# 10
11-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Reading this, i can only say - i will be paid for something i do on my own even now..

Every one and then i will play a mission or two, taking 40 minutes of my time for reading all the text.. So let's assume these missions do not need to be played at once, but i can play one mission a day or something like that, on the third day get the rewards..

i am fine.. ! and i don't feel i am missing something not clicking on the consoles with all of my chars..

btw - nagus daily were nice!

Even creating an own mission right now, but i miss the turrets!

Join the premiere Romulan community now!