Captain
Up to yesterday I was still thinking S7 would turn out great and that there was a plan behind it all. But now that I've played it and had time to read through the forum for feedback and pondered things myself I'm far less enthusiastic. My big problem with the new things is the complete lack of content synergy. Bear with me for a second and let me explain.

There are now 6 major currencies: Dilithium, Energy Credits, Omega Marks, Romulan Marks, Fleet Marks. And Doffs, which aren't a real currency but you'll want to obtain a lot for various reasons.

Now in Season 6, there was no problem. Endgame players could just play STFs and cover all of their currency needs. You'd get your STF gear, dilithium and 100-200k EC's worth of vendor trash for one hour of playing. That left you enough time to go doffing or do fleet events for another hour to help out your fleet. With two hours playtime a day you would be all around happy and would make good progress every day.

Now in S7, there is absolutely no more synergy at all. All activities we do only help us out with a single currency!

STFs don't earn us anything but Omega Marks. If we grind enough weeks to get to Tier 5 we can earn about 500 dil per run as bonus, if we play during an Reputiation bonus event. No more EC value.

The Romulan Reputation missions also don't reward anything but marks, at least as far as I have seen. If there is a mission that awards dil or substantial amounts of loot to sell for EC I haven't seen it.

Fleet Actions award Dil now, but only award loot to sell if you place in the top 3. Out of 20 people.

The only way to earn EC now is by doing Tour the Universe which takes one hour and is extremely boring and mostly consists of watching loading screens, or by selling Doffs.

I'm not yet sure what will happen with the Doff market. No one will buy green or blue doffs anymore for upgrinding, maybe for degrinding to turn them into whites, but I don't know.

And yes we also still need fleet marks, and now we actually have to do fleet events again since we cut off from our free daily FMs from the console clickers.

Do you see where the problem is? There is so much stuff we need to do, and absolutely nothing of it benefits us in more than one aspect. Cryptic says they want us to play for 4 hours a day to obtain 8000 dilithium. And how many hours to they expect us to play to obtain a basic EC income (even the T0 personal reputation projects cost ~50k EC each)? 4 hours dil grinding + 1 hour tour the universe? + half an hour doing STFs for Omega marks + an hour doffing + half an hour fleet events for fleet marks.

So in total 7 hours a day just to progress at the same pace as we did before?

Ok, no one is forced to participate in all of those activities. One can decide simply not to bother with STFs or a fleet. One can also decide to be happy with 1000 dil a day. But considering how content starved this game was and to some degree still is, do you really want to make players chose between which content they want to play to this degree?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
11-14-2012, 03:07 AM
I agree with you.

STF's are pretty much useless now, why run STF's on a constant grind if there isn't any other benefits besides Omega Marks? same with the Romulan Marks, only thing I have use for New Romulus is to climb.

I'll probably start doing ALOT more Fleet actions... :/ but the Fleet Marks are still petty.

I definately want dilithium back to STF's and the loot drops returned "forget EDC's and the others" I just want random weapons, consoles. Mk X - XI for Normal, Mk XI - XII For Elite.

RachelJ88

"edit" - its pay 2 win, even the Exchange is pay 2 win, no decent loot from any of the end game "grind-fest" missions this equals the less than fortunate playerbase who can't whip out their wallet/purse every day to buy lock box keys to get things to sell on the exchange so they can buy things off the exchange to get better equipment.

Last edited by rachelj88; 11-14-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
11-14-2012, 03:08 AM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

It's either A or B. specific missions to get specific rewards.
Captain
# 4
11-14-2012, 03:12 AM
This.

Exactly this.

I, as a casual player, now pretty much have to choose what parts of the game I want to progress in.
I can go for contributing to my small fleet's starbase.
I can try to get somewhere contributing to our fleet's embassy.
I can go for dilithium, to trade in for zen and buy c-store stuff.
I can go do stf's to progress in omega rep.
I can go do Romulan stuff for that rep.
Or I can try and get some ec's, which are needed for 4 out of 5 of these.

As it was, one could easily get by on 1-2 hours every day or even every other day, and feel like accomplishing something. Now, not so much. There is no way for me to do all of that and still make any sort of progress towards reaching the goals in a reasonable amount of time.

I've already decided not to be bothered with embassy stuff, or further starbase development. The rewards, while nice, such as the new science consoles, are just not worth it.

I guess I'll try to get my Romulan and Omega rep to t2 or 3, depending on how the demands scale, and settle for mk x gear from their pricey stores and about half of the new captain skills/skill bonuses.

I'm glad I got some decent gear pre-change, or I would've been pretty much excluded from any dabbling in competitive play I might like to do every once in a while.

Edit: also, this pretty much bombs simultaneously progressing on 2 alts for me. I can not manage to do all of these things on 3 characters, within the time I have. I simply can't.

Last edited by twam; 11-14-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
11-14-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm a bit miffed by the seemingly arbitrary items you need to upgrade your omega and romulan rep levels. even at low levels you need some some pricey things. On the good side though, the vesta is nice and seemingly well balanced.

..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino
Ensign
# 6
11-14-2012, 03:44 AM
I agree with you. I have 6 Toons which i play equally. Before S7 I could max out my daily Dil limit and get the Fleetmarks I needed.

I played S7 Yesterday for a bit and I can already see, that I can either push one or two of my toons and ignore the other 2 for a bit or ignore the new rep system and continue to max out my Dil on all toons.

... or i could simply stop playing. I intended to buy the new ship bundle. I already had put aside the cash needed for that, but didn't convert it into zen points yet. So now I will take a wait and see aproach. If it gets better I will probably stay in the game. If it does not get better I am just glad that I did not convert that money to Zen points yet.
Captain
# 7
11-14-2012, 04:06 AM
When you mentioned how terrible it was you had all this stuff do I have to say well wasn't that the idea behind releasing new content.

I just played an elite ground mission, without the op it gives like 90 marks.
If 2 days = 26 marks then 90 marks is a week's worth of marks for the reputation system in like 30 minutes.

1 mission = nothing to do for a full week.

And obviously they want you to have something to do outside 30 minutes worth of time per week...
They openly said that should be fleet action hence the dil was moved there.

The extra positive about that is it gives you plenty of times to keep up on marks with your alts.
And in the huge gap of lost time you can also go out and earn.

Albeit personally I am not a fan of fleet missions mainly because I end up with marks I can't use for anything since the projects are always filled in my fleet.
Captain
# 8
11-14-2012, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
I just played an elite ground mission, without the op it gives like 90 marks.
If 2 days = 26 marks then 90 marks is a week's worth of marks for the reputation system in like 30 minutes.

1 mission = nothing to do for a full week.
This is for Tier 0, for each new tier the required marks will go higher and higher. Starbase T0 projects required like 180 marks, T3 projects already require 800 marks. Do you see the pattern?
Captain
# 9
11-14-2012, 04:11 AM
No ?

On tribble the projects were exactly the same on tier 2...

26 marks per 2 days. 90 marks = 1 week. The only thing that changes is the amount of weeks to the next tier, not the weekly requirements.

/edit

ps. but sure, if you want every item on 8 characters right away you better sell your house
Rihannsu
# 10
11-14-2012, 04:18 AM
I do believe there was more then enough of us that stated that S7 wouldn't turn out well.

I for one am done with STF's until they fix it, nor will I bend and do those godawful FA's.