Rihannsu
# 11
11-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbear View Post
First I want to say I couldn't finish your post... to long and honestly you didn't quote any of your supposed findings.

I will reply to what I read however. First since the game went F2P it has improved. The overall quality has been increasing and game mechanics are being infused into the game which is breathing life into what was a bland Star Trek game. I'm a lifer and I love this game and have been playing it solidly since launch. Before the game announced it was going F2P the community was bleeding out members like a river. Back then my fleet had tons of inactive people who refused to subscribe to the game. Now with F2P my fleet has a modest yet active group of players who have been friends since launch. Yes we add new people from time to time and yes they do dissapear but we've remained solid and sometimes they come back (likely because they don't have to pay to do so).

In response to your claim of Cryptic being desperate and re-selling things consider the possility that they did such good buissness that they decided to give it a second run. The game is obviously doing well because new content is always coming our way, bugs are being fixed and the servers are full. You can't go anywhere in the world and not run into large groups of people. Sure I will admit the community isn't very tight and everyone seems to have their own fleet but lots of people play every day and I can tell you lots of people are paying to play the game as well. Since launch STO has only gotten better and better, its not the STO I invisioned but it's the next best thing.
sorry but alot of what you say is like saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder you say sto has goting better since F2P but did you know in the frist year you has 3 or 4 featured series and that was before the PWE not to say even the 2800 was still dun whlie the game was under atari so if you ask me this game has not goting better since the big F2P move
the age of launcher... is over...!! the time of the ARC has come!!!!!!!!!
One ARC to rule them all, One ARC to find them,
One ARC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
actual joining date = no one cares!!!!
Survivor of Remus
# 12
11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
sorry but alot of what you say is like saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder you say sto has goting better since F2P but did you know in the frist year you has 3 or 4 featured series and that was before the PWE not to say even the 2800 was still dun whlie the game was under atari so if you ask me this game has not goting better since the big F2P move
You're forgetting that since F2P they've added whole new methods of playing. We now have Fleet Stations, New adventure zones including the Tholian planet and now New Romulus. Reputation has been added and the game has been streamlined a lot (I hated all those boring patrol missions). I would hardly say that Cryptic has been sitting on their hands releasing lock boxes only. Lastly look at all the "thank you" threads thanking cryptic for fixing the STFs which had been broken for over a year now.
Raychul - Remen Sci Officer
Lumba - Ferengi Eng Officer
Vadesca - Orion Eng Officer
AKA: Yavin_Prime
Add a Race-change token in the Zen Store, please!
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Up until ATARI sold Cryptic...

All ATARIs' yearly reports indicated that Cryptic was the one thing keeping their heads afloat.

After the sale, ATARI started adjusting the numbers to try and write Cryptic off as a tax loss.

It's all in the public record...

ATARI had/has really lousy management skills and until they acquired Cryptic were constantly on the verge of bankruptcy...

Cryptic saved their collective butts.

Last edited by herbie1966; 11-14-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Rihannsu
# 14
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbear View Post
You're forgetting that since F2P they've added whole new methods of playing. We now have Fleet Stations, New adventure zones including the Tholian planet and now New Romulus. Reputation has been added and the game has been streamlined a lot (I hated all those boring patrol missions). I would hardly say that Cryptic has been sitting on their hands releasing lock boxes only. Lastly look at all the "thank you" threads thanking cryptic for fixing the STFs which had been broken for over a year now.
yes fleet bases soooooooooo awsome game play there geting rock for romulan as a fed my boff should be doing as for KDF should be killing every romulan trying tot take over that planet ya awsome game play there a Rep system i should be geting Rep for geting them rock for them lazy romulans but i dont i have to pay money to up my rep all the TY are from the same CDer i can show you 10 more hate every thing you just named

Last edited by daan2006; 11-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
If a company can't keep something as timeless, and limitless as Trek alive then they don't deserve a second chance. Foolish business actually to recreate a dungeon slasher when there are already so many of them. They should put all their eggs in this basket, it is original.
Rihannsu
# 16
11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie1966 View Post
Up until ATARI sold Cryptic...

All ATARIs' yearly reports indicated that Cryptic was the one thing keeping their heads afloat.

After the sale, ATARI started adjusting the numbers to try and write Cryptic off as a tax loss.

It's all in the public record...

ATARI had/has really lousy management skills and until they acquired Cryptic were constantly on the verge of bankruptcy...

Cryptic saved their collective butts.
i sayed it was more the ST ip then crytpic
Ensign
# 17
11-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugshu View Post

Star Wars is going free to play today and its going to hit STO hard. STO is a better game but Star Wars respects its players more so its going to be a serious competitor.
That's hilarious. I can tell that you haven't played TOR. They took a nice long crap on their playerbase with the free month that was only free to people who weren't playing the game anymore. Loyal (and paying I might add) customers got nothing...unless they had finished the content, in which case, they got a free month to stare at the lack of content. And that was only the beginning.

This game is very, very different from TOR, and I doubt you will see anyone fleeing here to flip on a lightsaber.

For the OP and the record, STO barely cracked the 100k mark on subscribers the first month, and the numbers plummeted immediately in the second month. But that is neither here nor there. The game is here, and its making money for the time being. So go enjoy it.
Rihannsu
# 18
11-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbingerzero View Post
That's hilarious. I can tell that you haven't played TOR. They took a nice long crap on their playerbase with the free month that was only free to people who weren't playing the game anymore. Loyal (and paying I might add) customers got nothing...unless they had finished the content, in which case, they got a free month to stare at the lack of content. And that was only the beginning.

This game is very, very different from TOR, and I doubt you will see anyone fleeing here to flip on a lightsaber.

For the OP and the record, STO barely cracked the 100k mark on subscribers the first month, and the numbers plummeted immediately in the second month. But that is neither here nor there. The game is here, and its making money for the time being. So go enjoy it.
ya makeing so much money they had to give Vet rewards aways to new lifer sooo much money all we see is more and more and more lockboxes and cstore stuff sooo much money they have to do sells like open a doff pack for the hopes of a bug ship need i go on?
Ensign
# 19
11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
ya makeing so much money they had to give Vet rewards aways to new lifer sooo much money all we see is more and more and more lockboxes and cstore stuff sooo much money they have to do sells like open a doff pack for the hopes of a bug ship need i go on?

Lifetime subs for new games cost $200, if they want people to pay that for a game that is almost three years old, they have to sweeten the pot.

Lockboxes and C-store are the primary income for the game. Did you think that a f2p game could live only on its limited sub numbers?

The bug ship is back by popular demand, and in doing so, it drops the price for those ships - something that is an enticement for new players.

That is how they make money. That is how you draw new players and new subs. Those are not desperation ploys, those are standard operating procedures. So...yeah, you'll need to go on if you want to convince me that the game is a breath away from folding.
Career Officer
# 20
11-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm not a departing player, yet, but I am finding I spend less time in the game post-S7 /shrug

For me, I want a Star Trek MMO, and this is the only game in town right now, so, it's what I'm stuck with if I want to get in the Star Trek universe right now.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us