Captain
# 1 Team queues
11-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Part of the problem in finding good PvP when I log in is that the only way to get a game against a team is to ask in channel, and it gets a bit awkward because there's so little going on right now that every game ends up being life or death for a fleet's great family honor or whatever... there's no levity or sense of fun in it, like derbies to pass the time in other sports.

Pugging is very fun up to a point and it does have its charms, letting the dice fall where they may... but it contributes to the unserious atmosphere because you just can't make even the most basic of assumptions about what you might come across.

I don't think this is very much to ask... honestly you don't even have to change the basic queues, leave them as the random anything-goes mess that they are if you really want. Just make it so that the team queue will put you in line for finding a game against another queued team of an equal number of members. Queue as four, get a game against the next four-man, queue as five, game against another five, etc.

I know there's been a new patch and all but something like this could be done very, very trivially and put in on a realistic timeframe.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 2
11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Are there enough players for something like this? Given how long even the PUG queues can take and that you'll often see the same folks in those PUG matches either in the next game or within one or two...

...perhaps that's a timezone thing. Even when I play at different times though, it tends to be like that - different people than at other times, but the same people showing up in that series of matches.

Sometimes, I wonder if there's not more folks discussing PvP in STO on the forums than actually participating in PvP in STO in the game...
Captain
# 3
11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Are there enough players for something like this? Given how long even the PUG queues can take and that you'll often see the same folks in those PUG matches either in the next game or within one or two...

...perhaps that's a timezone thing. Even when I play at different times though, it tends to be like that - different people than at other times, but the same people showing up in that series of matches.

Sometimes, I wonder if there's not more folks discussing PvP in STO on the forums than actually participating in PvP in STO in the game...
I'd rather wait a half hour for a real game than a few minutes for a stomp or something where I might as well just set macros to spacebar and go drink a Snapple.

When I used to play ranked League I'd have to wait upwards of an hour or two for a game to pop and that was unteamed. I'm not some sissy who won't practice what he'll preach.

Like I said, this won't impact the regular queues and if it dies a lonely death as a PvP graveyard (*cough cough* KvK arena) that's okie-doke. I just want the option to be there.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 4
11-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Imagine if they did away with the FvK, FvF, KvK. By the time folks are at 50, they're pretty much working F&K on the PvE side against common enemies - one could say there's a temporal issue that exists in the game - people are at X point in time while others are at Y (that's ignoring the replay aspect - where the same person could be at Y but go back to X).

So for the PvP queues - you would just have Arena or C&H. As a Fed, you might find yourself fighting with other Feds or a mix of Feds and KDF - the same for KDF. It would be more like STFs, etc, etc.

Then taking that a step further - you would add team queues to both of those - allowing a mix of Fed/KDF on those teams.

With the reduced number of queues, you would see more available players for the remaining queues... including those team queues. People would have an easier time putting together the teams as well - if they could mix KDF and Fed.

Again, this is premised partially on there not really being much of a war in the game between the KDF and Feds anyway - that Arena/C&H PvP is pretty much casual and meaningless anyway (it could be holo matches in the end)... so there's not really anything against it.

The complaint I could see would be from Feds that queue FvF solely, not wanting to have to fight KDF at all.

Still, considering the nature of the way the queues are - and - some desire to improve things through various means (including team queues)... what do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I think more people would queue if it was split into randoms and team games. Then the people who want to go Kirk can do that against eachother. They can run their skittle-boats and beam-scorts. They wont have to deal with getting killed by CRF III.

Hopefully the PvP reputation system will help sort out players based on skill level.
Commander
# 6
11-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Get rid of Team Queues
The Average PvP player

1) Teamwork and timing is #1
2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
3) You are going to die, just get back up
Empire Veteran
# 7 Branflake READ ;p
11-15-2012, 07:54 AM
I've been thinking about some ideas for this. It's generally excepted that certain consoles are broken and/or overpowered so this idea would add options for matches as well as even out teams in a casual but fun way. It would also show that PWE/Cryptic actually wants PVP to succeed as so many of us do. Let's face it, there are few Space MMOs and fewer that are comparable. Lest not forget that some of us have been here for > 2 years waiting for improvements, too.

This may sound silly to some but, for the most part, we all have a general respect for each other despite some sabre rattling and occasional name calling. Anyway QQ...

1: Cross faction pew pew queues.
2: Add a "non-public" queue where players can join a room and assemble a team/bring a team to setup a match with another group/team.
3: Add the ability to specify rule sets for the match.
IE, no specialty consoles >= Tier 3 (tier being the ship the console came from.)
No set passive ability (IE, KHG placate, tact rediness/cloak field or w/e /Omega
energy wake/anchor, ect ect ect.)
Also add the ability to remove the rep passives. Not sure they are a good idea for
PVP, TBH.
You could go further and limit ship tier. However lockbox/refits would likely need a
unique identifier since T5 refits aren't really in the same class as most lockbox ships.
4: Add the ability to have teams up to 8 people.

While some of the these changes may take a fair amount of work, I don't see it asking a lot for a community that has been beyond loyal to a game/company that has shown very little interest in improving our experience. pew pew.
-X-/Pandas - Pheo
Lieutenant
# 8
11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Quite simple: get rid of the queue's and introduce a open PvP sectorblock (like Kerrat but bigger, without narrow population cap and annoying reset timers).

Fly into the open PvP zone (either with or without team) and ... pew pew!

I'm thinking about the open PvP style as Battlestar Galactica Online has. It's really fun and you can have huge battles instead the lousy 5/20 man queue's.
P2W is Pay to Play for me, what else? Duh!

Last edited by brickyard; 11-15-2012 at 08:31 AM.