Captain
# 11
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm just going to say what we're all thinking: That ship is butt ugly.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 12
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea for a Trek series. A Trek show that's grimdark sometimes would work, but a grimdark Trek series sounds like crap.
Captain
# 13
11-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I'm just going to say what we're all thinking: That ship is butt ugly.
Avtually, it looks like a collaboration between Klingon and Starfleet engineering. The forward and dorsal section look like a bird of prey, while the aft saction looks similar to a Defiant class engine assembly. At the end of the trailer, before the ship flies by, it decloaks...

The Defiant was never a pretty ship in my opinion. But it was an effective plot device in Deep Space that solve the biggest problem the show had: The crew needed to really be able to go places and do it on a propper ship with a propper bridge, not just a cockpit of a runabout. I think that this ship will serve the same purpose. It's an ugly ship, for an ugly job that needs doing so the folks with pretty ships can keep doing their pretty jobs...
I'm not really a John Galt,
but I play one on the forums...
Captain
# 14
11-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Sounds like a terrible idea for a Trek series. A Trek show that's grimdark sometimes would work, but a grimdark Trek series sounds like crap.
And yet look what the Federation has had to endure in rapid succession:

The Battle of Wolf 359 which decimated the fleet. The Klingon withdrawal from the Khiotmer Accords which while relatively brief cost a lot of lives and resources for the Federation. The Dominion War which was even more protracted and costly. The Federation is weak, though they were victorious. But I think that the "something wrong" in Starfleet that Admiral Chekov mentioned has to do with cynicism amd paranoia on the part of the younger andmiralty to come into their rank in the aftermath of all this. For these people, who would have been captains on the front lines durring the bloodiest periods in Federation history, a form of totalitarian control may seem like the right thing to do to ensure security for the Federation, but at the cost of the freedoms and valuse that it enjoyed for so long...

The events political events of TNG and DS9 shaped Starfleet into something less than an organization for peaceful exploration and more of a defensive, militaristic organization. One that almost got hosed by the Borg, the Klingons and the Dominion all within the span of about fifteen years. It needs fixing. And if it takes a gang of outlaws on an ugly ship to do it, then so be it.

They are getting really close to hitting the goal. only $16,123.00 left and 5 days.

I'm curious to see what they can do with this. But we won't find out unless they secure funding.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
11-21-2012, 12:52 AM
They've hit their goal. There's now a stretch goal, so I'm eating my own words. Still less than a week to go but it looks good that they'll hit that stretch goal.
Captain
# 16
11-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
They've hit their goal. There's now a stretch goal, so I'm eating my own words. Still less than a week to go but it looks good that they'll hit that stretch goal.
This is excellent news to wake up to.

Other news of note is that Corin Nemec, who played Jonas Quinn in Stargate SG-1 after Michael Shanks took a break from playing Daniel Jackson, has joined the Renegades cast as a Starfleet Captain.

As a fan of both Star Trek and Stargate, I consider this to be a good thing.

Well, we shall see how things play out with this, going forward.