Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 31
11-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Those of you defending the high price of the ships need a reality check - maybe you've got a ton of disposable income to throw at virtual items but not everybody is that fortunate.

My own feelings on the Vesta was that it looked pretty cool and that maybe I'd be interested in picking up the Tac variant. Except I can't - it's all three or nothing and I'm not spending that kind of money (or Dilithium/Zen) on a novelty ship that quite honestly, I don't need.

If it were cheaper (or sold individually) then Cryptic may have gotten a sale from me but they haven't - once again they've passed up the opportunity to make a sale - not just from me but from many players I suspect.

I'm not down on the idea of selling these ships - heck, I bought an Excelsior waaay back and if they bring out a Fleet Excel at some point I'd be seriously tempted. But the Vesta, whilst looking interesting isn't going to tangibly change my enjoyment of the game over what it is now - and if I bought it I'd still be running the same missions and the same STFs - just with a slightly different ship.

$50 for the novelty of flying something different for a while isn't money well spent in my opinion - if you think it is, I'm genuinely happy for you but I still don't think these prices are benefiting Cryptic/PWE.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 444
# 32
11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Those of you defending the high price of the ships need a reality check - maybe you've got a ton of disposable income to throw at virtual items but not everybody is that fortunate.
And not everyone who is able to buy one of these ships has "a ton of disposable income". Some of us actually just saved some cash ahead of time, or got lucky with a pay check, or any number of things, to buy one.
Am I defending the pricey nature of the ships? Not really, as I'd much like them to be somewhat cheaper.
But I understand why they are pricey, and as you yourself pointed out, I understand that I don't need a ship from the store. Just like neither of us needs to be playing a video game.
But that doesn't exclude the fact that some of us like getting things we don't need because they entertain us.
And that entertainment can be a pinch in the wallet at times.
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 33
11-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
And not everyone who is able to buy one of these ships has "a ton of disposable income". Some of us actually just saved some cash ahead of time, or got lucky with a pay check, or any number of things, to buy one.
Am I defending the pricey nature of the ships? Not really, as I'd much like them to be somewhat cheaper.
But I understand why they are pricey, and as you yourself pointed out, I understand that I don't need a ship from the store. Just like neither of us needs to be playing a video game.
But that doesn't exclude the fact that some of us like getting things we don't need because they entertain us.
And that entertainment can be a pinch in the wallet at times.
And I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with that. And if you have the Vesta and you're getting a kick out of it then I'm genuinely pleased - all I'm saying is that the pricing is prohibitive to sales - at least from my own perspective.

With something as unique as the Vesta, I think Cryptic should have priced it lower (and sold it individually) and I think they'd have gotten much more sales - one at least from me anyway.

But I have no intention of saving for it, no intention of spending that kind of money for what's offered - it simply doesn't offer enough for me to want to spend that kind of money.

Bioshock Infinite Collector's Edition for $160 though? Different proposition entirely...
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
# 34
11-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahless2001 View Post
Buying the bundle, and considering this is a F2P I don't think they're overpriced.

I'm not rich. or have pots of money.

Also, could you define what a 'ordinary' person is?

In any case, just because I can't afford everything in the game doesn't mean that prices should drop. I pick and chose what I pay for and what I really want that will make the game enjoyable.
I Agree this is a F2P game so quit wineing about what you don't have and enjoy what you do have.
SELVECK
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
# 35
11-15-2012, 09:18 AM
i personally dont see any issue with the ship prices as they are,i spent 30bucks on zen during the sale through steam wallet,and grinded the rest with dil->zen so yea for me the pricing was more like buy one get 2 free.it just takes time to grind instead of "OOHH UBER LEET SHIP MUST HAZ NOW" attitude and drop 50 bucks on it lol.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 36
11-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by specter300 View Post
I Agree this is a F2P game so quit wineing about what you don't have and enjoy what you do have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
i personally dont see any issue with the ship prices as they are,i spent 30bucks on zen during the sale through steam wallet,and grinded the rest with dil->zen so yea for me the pricing was more like buy one get 2 free.it just takes time to grind instead of "OOHH UBER LEET SHIP MUST HAZ NOW" attitude and drop 50 bucks on it lol.
And answers like these are the reason that before this game finally closes its doors you'll see $99 ships in the C-Store.

Incredible.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
# 37
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
And answers like these are the reason that before this game finally closes its doors you'll see $99 ships in the C-Store.

Incredible.
well sir i will parallel another company who does something similar with the "c-store" content. wargaming.net with WoT has 50 dollar tanks in that game (at most, cheapest is like 8 bucks) and they are doing things like sponsoring the retrieval of buried spitfires from burma, refiting the iowa for museum duty and they made enough also to buy Bigworld(their engine developer) for 45 mil so high priced items ingame tend to go toward content/projects of the devs choice like cryptic has been using lockbox income to afford more devs so we can haz more content now,and not 5 years down the road.
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
# 38
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
i personally dont see any issue with the ship prices as they are,i spent 30bucks on zen during the sale through steam wallet,and grinded the rest with dil->zen so yea for me the pricing was more like buy one get 2 free.it just takes time to grind instead of "OOHH UBER LEET SHIP MUST HAZ NOW" attitude and drop 50 bucks on it lol.
Using Steam for STO, specially Steam Wallet is way smarter!



...not.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,557
# 39
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Still want your cheaper ships?
Of course they do. They don't give a <bleep> about the negative long term affects their entitlement issues have on the game. They want what they want because they want it, and they want it now. And when the game gets shut down for not being profitable enough (like CoH was) they'll whine and cry about how the company screwed them.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 444
# 40
11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
And answers like these are the reason that before this game finally closes its doors you'll see $99 ships in the C-Store.

Incredible.
See, when you say things like that, you start to lose credibility for your argument.
Ships are never going to be that expensive. Honestly, I do believe the prices the ships are at now will be what they stay at, relative to their tier. Same goes with the 3-packs, if those continue to be A Thing.
Also, this game is probably not going to close its doors any time soon. Right now, it's making good money. Plus, it has the attentions of a very interested party: CBS. I'm sure between them and PWE, and Cryptic working diligently on improving the game, STO will be around for quite some time. Prophesying doom for the game, when all evidence indicates otherwise is not the way to add gravity to your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
With something as unique as the Vesta, I think Cryptic should have priced it lower (and sold it individually) and I think they'd have gotten much more sales - one at least from me anyway.
So this is you completely ignoring the fact that they did in fact do that, because they have each variant of the ship available for separate purchase, in addition to the 3-pack (which is actually kind of a deal comparatively).
Each version of the Vesta is about $25, which is the norm for a ship of that tier. The 3-pack is $50, worth two of them. But you get three. It's essentially a "Buy Two Get One Free" deal.
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:14 PM.