Career Officer
# 31
11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
There is no replayability for New Romulus, once you've done everything, you've done everything, doing it over and over and over again, the exact same thing, gets boring fast. I don't consider that "exploring strange new worlds" as the op puts it.

Now, give us a new mission, such as the FE series, with a storyline that we can actually play, with both space and ground missions, then we might have something. As it is, all I've seen Cryptic do is give us one more social zone we don't really need.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Lieutenant
# 32
11-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
There is no replayability for New Romulus, once you've done everything, you've done everything, doing it over and over and over again, the exact same thing, gets boring fast. I don't consider that "exploring strange new worlds" as the op puts it.

Now, give us a new mission, such as the FE series, with a storyline that we can actually play, with both space and ground missions, then we might have something. As it is, all I've seen Cryptic do is give us one more social zone we don't really need.
If its replayability you care about, New Romulus > Featured Episodes. At least when you do the NR missions you can do them differently each time. You can gather any combination of items and go in different directions every time you do it. A FE missions is the exact same every time you play it. So when it comes to replayability, you just made the worst possible comparison. I'd like to say nice try, but it really wasnt.
Career Officer
# 33
11-15-2012, 08:18 PM
To me, real content is in storyline missions that move the storyline forward, give us missions we can actually play, and rewards that follow, this is just a static open world environment, one big social zone.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Lieutenant
# 34
11-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
To me, real content is in storyline missions that move the storyline forward, give us missions we can actually play, and rewards that follow, this is just a static open world environment, one big social zone.
And you are completely entitled to your opinion. But fortunately you are not a dev, so your opinion of what constitutes "real content" will not affect my gameplay

Last edited by lillithiae; 11-15-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Career Officer
# 35
11-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
You do realize that you unlock story missions by repeating missions, yes?
Rihannsu
# 36
11-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
I remember the 5 month long TNG episode where Picard had to grind rep for some aliens and needed a metric tribbleton of dilithium, too. AND the aliens lived in a dilithium poor section of the galaxy! Awesome times.
I remember seeing him crawl around a Class-H planet trying to find water. :p

Hehehe..... that was more "grindy" than anything in STO.....

Anyways, the easy way to get Romulan marks is to play Mine Trap. One run will usually net you upwards of 30 marks. Then you can do something else for two days.

@Doctor: New Romulus DOES have story development. Do the right stuff and you get hidden cut scenes showing story information. :p
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-15-2012, 08:45 PM
It's a very nice zone I'll agree to that . When I first started to play STO I was extremely surprised to find Bajor and Vulcan were very empty.If I recall correctly the only time you actually went to vulcan was to pick up the ambassador and that was it .That was a huge disappointment and should be remedied down the line.My suspicion is they had originally planned to make it a major quest hub. They should really start to "flesh out " existing factions/races now ( before adding yet another one ) .

- Bajor ( don't have to tell you what endless possibilities there are for that place and it already exists, as does DS 9 ) .Even have wormhole based episodes and storylines ...

-Vulcan .There's nothing at all about Vulcan ( and again: it already exists ) :HUGE possibilities

-Andorian homeworld : ditto

-KDF : everything still needs to be done (Gorn homeworld,Orion homeworld etc. ) .This will be a huge undertaking

But season 7 shows they can do it if they want to
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillithiae View Post
No, I'm not being sarcastic. All the hubbub about dilithium aside, exploring the "strange new world" that is New Romulus is the first truly "Trek" experience I have had in this game.
That's funny. I was doing the dailies on New Romulus and was thinking this was the first truly ''World of ********'' experience I have had in this game.

1. Pick up your dailies
2. Move to quest area
3. Grind
4. Move to next quest area
5. Continue for several months until rep maxed.

On a more positive note, New Romulus is decently sized and it looks nice. It's a huge step up from the planets we usually have to visit during missions.
Captain
# 39
11-16-2012, 06:17 AM
Well one thing that's great about new rom is trolling people's cutscene by the transporter pad.

You can load up your boff with 5 x bug spray for free, spawn mortars all over the place and if you place yourself right your boff and drones will jump over the balcony and then superman jump back up in a looped sequence, weee

But hey if people really like the denture zone great and terrific you are posting about it, I am sure postive feedback will make the developers happy keep it up
Career Officer
# 40
11-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
Well one thing that's great about new rom is trolling people's cutscene by the transporter pad.

You can load up your boff with 5 x bug spray for free, spawn mortars all over the place and if you place yourself right your boff and drones will jump over the balcony and then superman jump back up in a looped sequence, weee

But hey if people really like the denture zone great and terrific you are posting about it, I am sure postive feedback will make the developers happy keep it up
Good, because I hope they do.

And as to the WoW comparison, I've seen it argued that your first MMO tends to dictate what you think MMOs should be like.

But I played MUDs and MUSHes for years. I suppose CoH was my first in the modern sense. But for me, WoW held lessons for other MMOs. I think it took what worked about other games and contextualized them in a way that worked.

And, in general, I find that people who oppose the WoW model generally want EvE, EQ, pre-NGE SWG, or something that isn't an MMO at all as the model. Of those, the last one is generally the most difficult to implement but the most promising.

If you can do what WoW does and you can do some things that no MMO does and you can do it on a PWE F2P business model that adapts to back off just a bit when players scream "ouch", I think that's actually a pretty fantastic achievement.