Career Officer
# 51
04-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmanfred View Post
Hey Fish, the next big hit from you

Wonderfull chart.

May I suggest a few things?

- Background is pretty dark. Maybe bright elements (like SpiderMitch's beam effect) could lighten up a little.

- Have you thought of doing the chart from left (Starter ships) to right (End/Fleet Ships)? Using the common reading order, it would be nicer to navigate.

- I can't open the chart with Firefox or the standard Microsoft Picture Viewer. Both programs say the file is broken.

By the way, when do we see your next vid?
Thanks Manfred.

The background is dark on purpose. When I began this chart back last year I could see we were heading in the direction of lots more ships, so I wanted to create something that could be easily cut and pasted. Each frame and each block are modular. It makes for a plain design, but it's super easy for me to keep it updated, or expand it if I need to (and I suspect I will need to for some time to come). I only have Microsoft Word and MS Paint, if I ever get something more professional, I might be able to do more with it. Keeping it easy to update though means that I am more likely to do so, and not get burn out or fed up with it.

I tested opening it with Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer and in Windows Photo Viewer. You can't open it with Paint anymore as it's so big now, it claims it is an invalid file. It could be that your Microsoft Picture Viewer is having that same issue. Out of interest, what have you managed to open it in?

The vids are taking a rest I'm afraid. I will resume making those later in the year, and have lots of ideas, but I want to do the charts and maybe a tutorial or two first. But next week (I think) will be a short tutorial video with the fleet KDF chart which some people might find useful. I also want to make a tutorial video on the basics of using Demo Record (or how I use it at least), so people can take epic screenshots or make their own videos.

With regards of the right to left, I changed it to the style it's in now to make it different to the charts that already exist from Spidermitch and Suricata, but that's not to say that I won't change it again at some point if the mood ever takes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophere View Post
Very nice work Starfish!

Agree with a previous poster that this should be stickied.

I'll bet there is more work in this than in most foundry projects. Shame we can't tip you with some dilithium!
Thank you, you are very kind. No dilithium is necessary though, just knowing that people find the chart useful is more than enough of a reward for the effort of making it.

And thanks for the comment Artan42. Very much appreciated.

Last edited by starfish1701; 04-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Career Officer
# 52 Move request
04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Would it be possible to get this thread moved from Ten Forward to Federation Shipyards please?
Captain
# 53
04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Hey Star,

I hope you didn't take my post to personally.

Sometimes my posts sound very harsh as I found out.

You know how much I admire your work
Captain
# 54
04-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Great work! Your revision adding more end-game ships is great. I am glad that you are continuing the work of Suricata and Spidermitch.

My only criticism is that the Advanced Transwarp Drive is not a universal console included with the Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit; it is an innate ability that gives the ship additional transwarp destinations. The universal console that provides the Efficiency buff is included with purchase of the commander level Advanced Heavy Cruiser only.
Career Officer
# 55
04-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
Great work! Your revision adding more end-game ships is great. I am glad that you are continuing the work of Suricata and Spidermitch.

My only criticism is that the Advanced Transwarp Drive is not a universal console included with the Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit; it is an innate ability that gives the ship additional transwarp destinations. The universal console that provides the Efficiency buff is included with purchase of the commander level Advanced Heavy Cruiser only.
You know, I had a funny feeling about that when I was creating that frame. Thank you very much. Much appreciated. I will get that altered and upload it as v3.1 in the next few days. I will add a new post here as usual when I do.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmanfred View Post
Hey Star,

I hope you didn't take my post to personally.

Sometimes my posts sound very harsh as I found out.

You know how much I admire your work
I didn't think your post sounded harsh at all, and didn't read anything negative in it.

Besides, you're my 'number one' fan!
Career Officer
# 56
04-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Great work, starfish! It's really great to have a graphical ship chart again.

Just a few tiny things:
- On the Wells and Mobius class it shows the image of the Jem'Hadar bridge instead of the 29th century one.
- You might want to put in a key to all thode symbols to make it easier to read.
- I noticed you have the link to the chart in your sig. However posting a textlink as agraphic is not exactly the most user-friendly version. I would suggest using actual text peaople can copy, or just actually link your signature to the chart.

Enaough of the nitpicking already. Keep up the great work!
Career Officer
# 57
04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphysgesetz View Post
Great work, starfish! It's really great to have a graphical ship chart again.

Just a few tiny things:
- On the Wells and Mobius class it shows the image of the Jem'Hadar bridge instead of the 29th century one.
- You might want to put in a key to all thode symbols to make it easier to read.
- I noticed you have the link to the chart in your sig. However posting a textlink as agraphic is not exactly the most user-friendly version. I would suggest using actual text peaople can copy, or just actually link your signature to the chart.

Enaough of the nitpicking already. Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the feedback!

I can't believe I let those wrong bridge images sneak in, and I should have spotted that before I uploaded it. I have an image of the 29th Century bridge which I thought I had used, so it's an easy alteration to make. I will add that to the list of changes, and upload that next week with the other corrections.

A guide to the symbols will be in a video that is coming out this next week, but I think it might be an idea to add a key to the chart itself too.

Good ideas. Many thanks again.
Captain
# 58
04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Just a quick note on spelling. You spelt Sabre and Ionised the US way, but Point Defence the correct () way. Also the Dreadnought cruiser makes no mention of the Venture X skin available.
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Captain
# 59
04-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Sorry, I missed your question about my graphic viewer:

All of my common picture viewer couldn t handle the picture, only IrfanView could manage it.
Problem is, when I want to zoom the picture, and that I have to do, I must autofire on the zoom button to make the picture bigger.

Dont have Gimp right now at the moment to try.
Starfleet Veteran
# 60
04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Thank You for the updated chart Starfish.

I always look forward to these.

Only problem is the Vertical format makes a poor screen saver LOL.
"Zero, Zero, Zero...Destruct, Zero"