Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,470
# 41
11-18-2012, 08:39 AM
This isn't the first thread I've seen you have the gall and audacity to dismiss those who disagree with you. You seem to do this enough to show that it's your personality type and that ends up tarnishing the point you try to make.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 698
# 42
11-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Its worth noting that pre-Season 7, the daily steam users for STO were around 1 thousand, after Season 7 its about 3 thousand. Steam users don't represent the full playerbase, but if that shows a three-fold increase, then its reasonable to assume that - at least for now - Season 7 is not killing the game, and that the servers are far from empty. Facts > Hyperbole.
Steam servers represent many who don't pay to play... not saying F2P people don't contribute but acquiring a bunch of players who don't spend a dime on the game isn't going to keep it running. I also would keep in mind the big marketing blitz PW did with its season 7 rollout hitting up every mmo/F2P site they could find for interviews and giving away free stuff... so to see a spike on an F2P game site isn't surprising. Quantity isn't quality. I was playing New Romulus last night and to see only 5 instances of the map running says something about the content on its first live weekend... but I suppose many folks could also be trying SWTOR this weekend as its F2P now as well.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 31
# 43
11-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl View Post
Steam servers represent many who don't pay to play... not saying F2P people don't contribute but acquiring a bunch of players who don't spend a dime on the game isn't going to keep it running. I also would keep in mind the big marketing blitz PW did with its season 7 rollout hitting up every mmo/F2P site they could find for interviews and giving away free stuff... so to see a spike on an F2P game site isn't surprising. Quantity isn't quality. I was playing New Romulus last night and to see only 5 instances of the map running says something about the content on its first live weekend... but I suppose many folks could also be trying SWTOR this weekend as its F2P now as well.
I'm sorry but i start to understand people who don't want pay for play, I'm a gold member i pay every months and for what ? i have the same problem than the free members, and if i want buy something i have to farm or pay more like free members ...

I think i will stop pay and and farm if i want buy something on store or stop game if they do nothing for people who support this game
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 125
# 44
11-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
This isn't the first thread I've seen you have the gall and audacity to dismiss those who disagree with you. You seem to do this enough to show that it's your personality type and that ends up tarnishing the point you try to make.

Then make an argument instead of presenting ad hominem attacks as an argument. An ad hominem is a SUBSTITUTE for an argument.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
# 45 Perplexed
11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
What i really dont get is, why the insane increasing wrecking the doff system, when so many other changes demands dilithium.

There can be only one deduction and that one is lining somebodys bankaccount.

Well, my reaction to this is to support cap'n Brady and hoard my dili for now
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
# 46
11-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Highlighted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I am neutral on what OP said, but I would like to point
out a few things. S7 has for the most part been about neutral with it's reception. There are those who love it (... no comment), and those who hate it (OP and his fleet it seems), and those who look at it as just another change, and kinda go with it (about half the players (OPINION, NOT FACT) and some lazy guys), and then guys like me who try to see the reason behind the changes, and may or may not succeed in doing so, but also go with it.

I will agree, the DOff changes are... sudden, but not entirely unexpected. Pre-S7 it was easy to farm purple DOffs using the DOff change in system. It was also cheap. Possibly too cheap, and possibly too easy. BUT the saving grace there was the randomness of what you got back. Now, you still have that randomness, but for a far more prohibitive cost, which means that players will either rage about it and complain, or just be more cautious when using this method.

The dilithium sink? I also agree, this game has become quite the grindfest. Boringly so. S6, what I used to do was log on, refine dil, go do some quick dailies, then PvP or STF for the next few hours with my usual team-mates from the PESTF and ESTF channels. We had quite a blast. Now, my routine consists of log on, refine dil, do some DOff missions, fly around for more DOff missions, check mail, check rep, advance rep, then log off. Total time on char: 15-20 minutes TOPS, as compared to the 4 or 5 HOURS I used to play shooting at Borg and laughing at the idiocy on DS9. And when I run out of dil? I dunno. XP

So far it seems like I am in support of OP right? Well here's where I diverge with him on opinion.

For starters, I freakin LOVE the updates they did to NPCs, the Borg especially. I also love the Tholians on elite. Hence why I find an interesting combination of frustration and amusement when I read all the Borg rage threads here on the forums XD. All the AI updates and weapon updates on elite npcs are great. No more facerolling, actual brain required.

Also, the reputation system, although it is clunky, I have to look at it from the perspective of their target playerbase: Not us vet players, but the new guys. The newly christened Vice Admirals and Lieutenant Generals. I did some quick calculations, and the devs were right. Most of us if we were lucky would pick up our first mk XII set within the first 200 or so ESTFs (ground-wise, space usually within the first 50 or so). We would then usually pick up our second around the 300 mark (space usually around 80-90 mark). From what I've calculated, the number of ESTFs you actually have to run has dropped dramatically for a mk XII ground set (again based off of conjecture, not fact, since I am not tier 5). Also it is easier to get the ground sets, since guess what, YOU NO LONGER HAVE TO RUN EGSTFs TO GET THE GROUND EQUIPMENT. Total bs imo (says the guy who had to do 175 successful IGE runs to get his first proto shield tech, to say nothing of the many failed pug rounds), but that's again aimed for the newbies, not the vets. Looking at it from that PoV, I suddenly see that it's actually easier. Not better mind you, since I say you aren't deserving of a full mk XII set unless you've done the room, been one shotted by armek, and taken a plasma bath (to say nothing of the hundreds of deaths from the plasma spewing heavy and elite tac drones).

My final point to add in:
S7 was predicted to be a huge change. They warned us about it in dev blogs, podcasts, and through sneak peeks (I am still laughing at the appearance of random wells-class starships throughout the game a few weeks before the temporal lock boxes were released). And now that it's here, it won't leave. I will quote Kung Fu Panda 2: "Hope you like it, because you can't return it!!" That's what S7 is. It's the explosive present. There are good things about it (pretty colors... and THOLIANS), and bad things about it (dil sink, grindfest, idiot BOff programming on New Romulus), but in the end, it's what we get.

So you and your fleet can leave. It's your prerogative. But I will remind you, despite all the bad vibe, look at it this way. We have lost some, but we have gained so much. Better NPCs, new items, new opportunities, ludicrously low exchange prices, and no more of those annoying 1% chance drops on proto ground tech (curse you IGE... curse you...). And much also hasn't changed. Morn is still at quarks drinking some unknown beverage with tales to tell, those morons on Q'onos are still doing 0 damage to each other in the ring with their dysfunctional batt'leths, and you can still get glitched into the middle of San Fransisco Bay at Starfleet Academy. So see? You haven't lost everything
.

Task Force Zulu--Back to Duty X4 SB T1.5, Tac 2, Eng 1 & Sci 1.
To the Edge of Space and Beyond

Subscribe to STO--1200+ days
LTS December 2011
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
# 47 Very accurate
11-18-2012, 01:57 PM
We speak the same language! I agree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marielang View Post
i cryed agian today all the fun gone replaced buy nothing but grind sign on and decide wich grind to do dilith grind omaga grind new romulan grind. used to be fun to do the stf what drop will i get? somthing for fleet bank? item me or a friend could realy use?? somthing to sell and get ec or dilith for? or the joy and pride of the tech drop and rushing to turn in and get the shiney new pice to complet my set??? now its just grind and wait days to see what i can spend my dwindleing suply of dilith on!!!!! in the words of Adam Sandler " whooopie f-ing dooo " season 7
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,518
# 48
11-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl View Post
Steam servers represent many who don't pay to play... not saying F2P people don't contribute but acquiring a bunch of players who don't spend a dime on the game isn't going to keep it running. I also would keep in mind the big marketing blitz PW did with its season 7 rollout hitting up every mmo/F2P site they could find for interviews and giving away free stuff... so to see a spike on an F2P game site isn't surprising. Quantity isn't quality. I was playing New Romulus last night and to see only 5 instances of the map running says something about the content on its first live weekend... but I suppose many folks could also be trying SWTOR this weekend as its F2P now as well.
You also have to remember there are peak times people actually play where as i've seen sometimes where its low, and then times like today where people mostly aren't working on a sunday where there were over 30 instances. Then again new romulus is a focal point but there are other new content that isn't on new romulus too.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,470
# 49
11-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrady View Post
Spoken like a PWE sock account. Give my regards to your supervisor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrady View Post
Then make an argument instead of presenting ad hominem attacks as an argument. An ad hominem is a SUBSTITUTE for an argument.
So I should follow your example when someone felt there were ample ships at ESD? You failed to make an argument. Then when the person responded by saying they weren't a PWE employee you leveled your sights at them again.

Regardless of your thoughts you need to accept the fact that some people really like season 7. Regardless of my thoughts I understand, accept and respect the fact that you don't like season 7. The way in which you deliver that message actually makes a difference. I'm sorry to say that the way you've been delivering your message has shot your credibility with me and I'd be safe to say that I wouldn't be the only one saying that.

Forums need people to understand that someone disagreeing with your opinion is not the same as that person telling you you're wrong. I don't believe that people who dislike season 7 are wrong as it's their opinion and I don't believe opinions can be measured in the black and white world of correct and incorrect.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 139
# 50
11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
I disagree with this open letter. Dilithium is obtained easily enough by doing dailies and missions, and the dilithium costs of DOff missions, while expensive, are not worrisome.

These were being EXPLOITED to get lots of good stuff fast. It should be an effort to get something nice. That would therefore increase the value of the thing you have obtained.

STFs were, and are, being exploited to farm tens of thousands of dilithium every day by each player. DOff missions are being exploited to inflate exchange prices and rob other players blind. The atmosphere or instant gratification is choking the life out of the game. I'd like to feel like I earned something, rather than being handed everything.

As for HAVING to whip out your credit card, no one HAS to do anything. Hell, you can buy a Vesta if you keep up with your dilithium exchanging. It just takes some time. Y'know, that part I was just talking about where you feel good about earning something?

I haven't seen players complain this much since... ever. Like, ever. Even the elitist World of Warcrack players who were angry about the lore changes to the game didn't whine this much. And they actually pay a monthly fee just to be connected to the server.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 PM.