Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
# 51
11-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonunderscore View Post
I haven't seen players complain this much since... ever
Maybe because there actually is something to complain about ?
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 52
11-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olievlekje View Post
Maybe because there actually is something to complain about ?
Yeah he demolished his own argument.

The level of complaints and volume of them should be ringing alarm bells... it's not just here either it's across all the channels in game.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,494
# 53
11-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonunderscore View Post
I disagree with this open letter. Dilithium is obtained easily enough by doing dailies and missions, and the dilithium costs of DOff missions, while expensive, are not worrisome.

These were being EXPLOITED to get lots of good stuff fast. It should be an effort to get something nice. That would therefore increase the value of the thing you have obtained.

STFs were, and are, being exploited to farm tens of thousands of dilithium every day by each player. DOff missions are being exploited to inflate exchange prices and rob other players blind. The atmosphere or instant gratification is choking the life out of the game. I'd like to feel like I earned something, rather than being handed everything.

As for HAVING to whip out your credit card, no one HAS to do anything. Hell, you can buy a Vesta if you keep up with your dilithium exchanging. It just takes some time. Y'know, that part I was just talking about where you feel good about earning something?

I haven't seen players complain this much since... ever. Like, ever. Even the elitist World of Warcrack players who were angry about the lore changes to the game didn't whine this much. And they actually pay a monthly fee just to be connected to the server.
I agree with things needing to be earned. Earning cool items, like earning anything else, should take time and effort. Yes, people have busy lives and they feel it might taker longed to obtain, but that's the nature if taking time to earn things. Instant gratification is NOT the way to run ANY game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olievlekje View Post
Maybe because there actually is something to complain about ?
Maybe that something that people are complaining about is that lack of instant gratification.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 696
# 54
11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Well,
I can only speak for myself, so I will.

I enjoy New Romulus very much, I love the Vesta, (still tryin to make it work for me tho), I like the Vault ensnared and salt sucker missions.

But...The dilithium grind is just too much for me. and it's in EVERYTHING, and not just a little, a whole lot.
I find MYSELF not contributing to my fleet starbase goals as much, because it conflicts with some of MY PERSONAL GOALS, at least in so far as dilithium is concerned.

The dilithium requirements for our fleet starbases and embassies projects are HUGE.
Grind your base to a level where it offers provisions and guess what? you need MORE dilithium.
Grind yourself up the reputation system and guess what? You need more dilithium.

I seriously don't know how I'm gonna contribute to my fleet AND get the things I want unless I start buyin zen and exchanging it.

I'm sure there are players who aren't gonna even bother with most of the fleet content and just grind themselves to another dimension just to get dilithium. Never bothering with another player.

Currencies? THEY ARE OUTA CONTROL. Marks for this, marks for that .... It's a ridiculous, cumbersome, overly complex, confusing mess.

Rewards are now trapped in this mega tiered dilithium grindfest.
And for what?

Correct me if I'm wrong here,
The reputation system was NEVER properly tested, BECAUSE NO ONE
had time to get themselves to the top tier of the bloody thing. How is it gonna affect the rest of the game? PVP?

So in about five months or so, after people have ground themselves senseless and head out with the shinny new sets along with all those nifty new passives and abilities, what happens then?
How is all this gonna play out in pvp specifically? Will we start nerfing things left and right in the name of balance AFTER people have ground themselves batty AND spent all that time, effort and dilithium aka money?

I WISH I could be rewarded by giving to my fleet projects WITHOUT having to come up with yet MORE dilithium to enjoy the fruit of my/our labors. (or at least make the dilithium requirement REALLY low).
because as I see it now, there is just too much of a conflict of interest.

Season 7 conflicted, convoluted and too cash grabby.
"And at Warp 10, we're going nowhere mighty fast."-Scotty
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 55
11-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonunderscore View Post
I disagree with this open letter. Dilithium is obtained easily enough by doing dailies and missions, and the dilithium costs of DOff missions, while expensive, are not worrisome.

These were being EXPLOITED to get lots of good stuff fast. It should be an effort to get something nice. That would therefore increase the value of the thing you have obtained.

STFs were, and are, being exploited to farm tens of thousands of dilithium every day by each player. DOff missions are being exploited to inflate exchange prices and rob other players blind. The atmosphere or instant gratification is choking the life out of the game. I'd like to feel like I earned something, rather than being handed everything.
.
Precisely. The integrity of the game was in the toilet because players where exploiting the hell out of the Doff system by using a dozen alts to freely farm up massive amounts of crew/resources, and because easy gear handouts invalidated a significant portion of the endgames progression scale.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 312
# 56
11-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonunderscore View Post
I disagree with this open letter. Dilithium is obtained easily enough by doing dailies and missions, and the dilithium costs of DOff missions, while expensive, are not worrisome.

These were being EXPLOITED to get lots of good stuff fast. It should be an effort to get something nice. That would therefore increase the value of the thing you have obtained.

STFs were, and are, being exploited to farm tens of thousands of dilithium every day by each player. DOff missions are being exploited to inflate exchange prices and rob other players blind. The atmosphere or instant gratification is choking the life out of the game. I'd like to feel like I earned something, rather than being handed everything.

As for HAVING to whip out your credit card, no one HAS to do anything. Hell, you can buy a Vesta if you keep up with your dilithium exchanging. It just takes some time. Y'know, that part I was just talking about where you feel good about earning something?

I haven't seen players complain this much since... ever. Like, ever. Even the elitist World of Warcrack players who were angry about the lore changes to the game didn't whine this much. And they actually pay a monthly fee just to be connected to the server.
Exactly this. The players of STO are adjusted to instant gratification. But now that the devs finally patched some cheesy loopholes/bad design decisions, all the happy grinders are complaining that the easy ways to grind multiple chars are blocked.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 57
11-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truewarper View Post
Highlighted...
eh? No follow XD
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 696
# 58
11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Instant gratification is NOT the way to run ANY game.

Maybe that something that people are complaining about is that lack of instant gratification.
Your argument would hold more weight with me if it weren't possible to be instantly gratified by spending money.

This system wasn't put into place so that something nice would have to be "earned".

I earned my Borg set playin the STFs when it took HOURS to complete just one out of three required missions.
At the end of these missions, if they was successful, (and not every team succeeded either), you got your prize. No dilithium required.

You put in the time, effort and worked with the team and you got your prize.

Did I mention No dilithium required ?

NOW, oh boy ...... hours turn into months. And that's a step up from that whole game of chance nonsense.

This new system is by it's very nature conflicted.

Do I continue to contribute to my fleet, or do I get the reward I've already EARNED ?

Do I help progress my fleet's starbase or embassy, or do I concentrate on my reputation system ?

Putting in the time and effort simply isn't enough anymore, not with so many things requiring dilithium now.
And therein lies the problem.

Thank You Cryptic for putting the dilithium back in the stfs, because now the player who has but one or two hours to play each day, at least has a chance.

BTW, I wouldn't start calling other player's lazy, or self entitled. Personal attacks are still against forum rules the last time I checked.

You wanna disagree, fine.
"And at Warp 10, we're going nowhere mighty fast."-Scotty

Last edited by vengefuldjinn; 11-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 496
# 59
11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
I agree with the OP.
I will NOT be transferring REAL cash to PWE until Season 7 is overhauled.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 60
11-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefuldjinn View Post
I seriously don't know how I'm gonna contribute to my fleet AND get the things I want unless I start buyin zen and exchanging it.
If you start a naked char, you may want:
- one Mk XII space set : 100k dil
- 8 space weapons : another 100k dil
- one ground set: 30k dil
- a couple of specific weapons (even if many excellent weapons are mission rewards and completely free): another 30k dil or so.

You'll have to spend 260k dil on a brand new naked character. I didn't add the reputation tier upgrades since it's insignificant. That's 32 days of dil cap refinement, ie the time you'd need to level up a character on any other MMO. it's 75 days if you follow Dan Stahl's average daily refinement per player (3500 or so).

Of course in the meantime you can't contribute to your fleet starbase with this naked char. The dilithium requirement may look very high but you actually need very few stuff, especially if you don't equip your stupid bridge officers who can't even use the stuff you give them properly. It's annoying but I think we can get over it, once we get our new stuff.

Now you don't see how you could achieve that but in two months, once you'll be T5 rep everywhere, you might buy another space set, the new ground set, and that's it.

You can't contribute to your starbase? And you think buying dil for that isn't worth it? I encourage you not to then. Don't buy anything you consider overpriced, because they will make it even more expensive next time if you do. Starbases aren't meant to be a race and have no use but a social one, so you can skip it without missing any major game experience improvement anyway.

And if you think doffs are an issue then we'll welcome you warmly on the doff forums to give you some tips to get many purples as soon as you don't make aggressive posts like many people did here. That's why no doffer will ever help them, no one helps aggressive people, and it's well deserved.

Last edited by diogene0; 11-18-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 PM.