# 61
11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
If you start a naked char, you may want:
- one Mk XII space set : 100k dil
- 8 space weapons : another 100k dil
- one ground set: 30k dil
- a couple of specific weapons (even if many excellent weapons are mission rewards and completely free): another 30k dil or so.

You'll have to spend 260k dil on a brand new naked character. I didn't add the reputation tier upgrades since it's insignificant. That's 32 days of dil cap refinement, ie the time you'd need to level up a character on any other MMO. it's 75 days if you follow Dan Stahl's average daily refinement per player (3500 or so).

Of course in the meantime you can't contribute to your fleet starbase with this naked char. The dilithium requirement may look very high but you actually need very few stuff, especially if you don't equip your stupid bridge officers who can't even use the stuff you give them properly. It's annoying but I think we can get over it, once we get our new stuff.

Now you don't see how you could achieve that but in two months, once you'll be T5 rep everywhere, you might buy another space set, the new ground set, and that's it.

You can't contribute to your starbase? And you think buying dil for that isn't worth it? I encourage you not to then. Don't buy anything you consider overpriced, because they will make it even more expensive next time if you do. Starbases aren't meant to be a race and have no use but a social one, so you can skip it without missing any major game experience improvement anyway.
You know, You make some good points.

I'm not starting a naked character. But I'm going for the new sets and gear.

I've been tryin to help get the starbase to the point where my fleetmates and I can get the provisions and fleet ships we all want.

But hey, I've been lucky enough to get two of those lock box ships.

I'll just focus on myself now.

I only have so much time and money after all.

See my point?

But I concede that I just might have to contribute less to the common goal. Feels wrong in an MMO tho.
I really thought the fleet starbase projects would bring players together.
New Rule: Stop saying taking out content improves the game, That's like saying: We're taking out the crap you were forced to play for the past three years.
Empire Veteran
# 62
11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefuldjinn View Post
But I concede that I just might have to contribute less to the common goal.
Yes, for two months at most. Provided they don't add a mandatory and insane dilithium sink in the meantime. Something like paying for logging in, for ship bullets, or some crap of this kind. If they do then we can start to complain, but for now all you have to do is to make choices. It's frustrating but if you're frustrated it means they won this match because that will make you stay around for a while till you achieve all your goals or to pay for this. In both case they win.
Career Officer
# 63
11-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I log on today to find that I've met my doff cap again. Great! Now to convert the whites to greens.. ho humm dee doo da.. what the!?! Those dilithium prices for converting doffs!?! And so since I donate the majority of my dilithium to my fleet I've found that I have 4k dilithium on me.. After a few moments I've converted some but not all of my doffs and I'm out of dilithium... oh and the general recruitment mission now costs dilithium.. woo hoo!

Well now.. let's see. I'm trying to use the doff system, gain personal reputation with TWO factions, contribute to my fleet starbase, contribute to my fleet embassy, run FA's for marks for the fleet and for my fleet creds, and run STF's to upgrade ship and personal gear. There is no time to craft, no time to do a red alert, no time to scan anomalys, no time to play storyline missions for fun, no time for random encounters... I've gotta hurry hurry! I've only got an hour today to play, maybe two hours the other days... and five hours one day a week. So one day a week when I get the above list done, I'll have some time to relax and actually look on the game with my eyes... enjoy the scenery.. the content.

It's all a dilithium sink and grind now. Or a real life money grind to buy zen and convert into dilithium. Sure I do not have to do everything. Sure I do not have to be a "completionist". But I came here to enjoy the Star Trek Genre and be a casual player. Now it feels like the majority of other MMO's. Hurry to level, and get ready for the grind, you might get 1/4 of the things you'd like to have done before the next season.
Captain
# 64
11-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Yes, for two months at most. Provided they don't add a mandatory and insane dilithium sink in the meantime. Something like paying for logging in, for ship bullets, or some crap of this kind. If they do then we can start to complain, but for now all you have to do is to make choices. It's frustrating but if you're frustrated it means they won this match because that will make you stay around for a while till you achieve all your goals or to pay for this. In both case they win.
You know, I just realized I have you on my friends list in game XD. However you are correct, DOffs are still pretty easy to get, AS LONG AS YOU KNOW YOUR LIMITS. If you know you only have X amount of refined dil to give to this, then you only give that X amount, and worry about getting more later. But he's right. If you can't do both starbase/embassy and DOffs effectively, then pick whichever one is more important, and slow the other one down.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Ensign
# 65
11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
To borrow a line from Seven of Nine: You will adapt.

And I think that was the thing I realized watching S7 take shape. I rolled several new toons last summer to dilithium farm. I could farm 32k - 40k a night without a lot of effort. It just meant doing a couple dailies and then STF's. I saw the changes being made were specifically designed to stop that.

That's what I've been doing: adapting. First week I've really only played on my two main Fed toons. I've found I've gone from earning 32k dilithium to about 10k. But I'm also having a lot more fun. It's nice to have a reason to do SB24 and Gorn minefield again rather than the same STF's over and over again. I think Mine Trap is best ground mission I've played yet. I've also gone back to breaking the planet and big dig and discovered that they aren't that bad. I never did them before because you didn't get anything for them once you reached level 50.

The discussion on our TS now that most people have enough marks on their main toons for a while is "So what do we want to do for fun?". And that's a good thing.

I do agree that loot should be added back in for STF optionals. I mean give us a reason to try and get the optional. Also having loot at the end of an STF for a chance of some rare/very rare item on elite and maybe common/uncommon on normal wouldn't be a bad idea either.

It wasn't until this season launched that I realized pretty much all our fleet did was run STF's and try to max out dilithium on as many toons as possible. Now I see people wanted to do other things including PVP.

I think a lot depends on why you play the game? To collect virtual items and currency that goes away when the game does or do you play to have fun. Once I got over the initial shock of "I can't get 30k dilithium with very little effort" and figured out, hey let's go have fun things got a lot better.

And from what I've seen in the fleet it breaks down across the mentality. Those of us who want to play to have fun are doing so. Those who seemed to have the goal of collecting as much in game money as possible are frustrated and talking about leaving.

That's my $.02.
Captain
# 66
11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Your argument would hold more weight with me if it weren't possible to be instantly gratified by spending money.
It's a f2p game, what in the hell do you expect?
Captain
# 67
11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Quote:
You know, You make some good points.

I'm not starting a naked character. But I'm going for the new sets and gear.

I've been tryin to help get the starbase to the point where my fleetmates and I can get the provisions and fleet ships we all want.

But hey, I've been lucky enough to get two of those lock box ships.

I'll just focus on myself now.

I only have so much time and money after all.

See my point?

But I concede that I just might have to contribute less to the common goal. Feels wrong in an MMO tho.
Not really. It takes me all of 30 minutes every 2 days to get enough Omega and Romulan marks to keep my reputation running, actually significantly less than that at the lower tiers. I can also farm omega marks and gear to sell at the same time I'm farming dilithium (STFs & Fleet actions).

Again, there seems to be this big race with filling Fleet Starbase missions. Just take your time and donate what you can. Starbases are suppose to be extremely longterm projects. The world isn't going to end if you don't fill up a starbase project at fast as humanly possible, it's not going anywhere.

Last edited by xantris; 11-18-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Commander
# 68
11-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Some of you people have no idea what grinding really is.

*Takes out more popcorn and continues to watch the spectacle from his lawn chair*

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Captain
# 69
11-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Y
And now ... they will tear players apart .

"Working as intended ... yeeessss ! "
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 11-19-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Career Officer
# 70 Grind you suckers grind
11-19-2012, 03:54 AM
onece you unlock a tier you then get to do a 40hr project to get the privilage of spending dilith on one just one item if you want anything else is another 40hr project. I sold a ring that i dont wear but still had great sentimental value to me for lifetime membership. I feel so riped off cheated. This season jsut keeps getting worse not better. ive been known to play 15 or 20 hours a day on weekend but now after a couple hrs im so bored and depressed i leave and dont comeback till the next day. how could any sane person call this crap an impovement????
I will never ever spend another dime of real world money on this game ever ever ever ever.