Starfleet Veteran
So I had a thought.

I look at the forums, and I see people criticizing Cryptic about the state of our beloved game. Pay to win, no free dilithium, etc etc, and I don't necessarily disagree.

What I wanted to say though, is that is it really Cryptic's fault?

Think of what makes the world go round: money.

Who controls the money behind STO? Perfect World.

In my opinion, it's not Cryptic's fault that the game seems money oriented, it's Perfect World's. I mean, look how many games they own, obviously they don't care about their games, only how much money they can get.

Perfect World tells Cryptic to take the Dilithium out of STFs, so we have to buy more Zen, and they have no choice but to do just that. Our outrage probably annoyed PW into letting Cryptic change it back.

Look at the C-Store, the forums, etc: All branded with Perfect World, Zen, etc, to remind us to buy more Zen, to give them more money.

It's not just PW either. There's Nexon, publishers of the wonderful little game "Maplestory," a game that was once awesome, but is now nothing more than a cash cow for greedy asians.

So what I'm saying is, take it easy on Cryptic. I seriously doubt they enjoy ****ing with us. They're simply the ones that jump when told.

Last edited by drtassadar; 11-18-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Considering there's not a focus on PVP in this game, the idea of 'pay to win' is...well, it's foolish, at best.

Honestly, most of the complaints I see can be summed up as "I don't know how businesses work", "I don't like change", and "I want something but can't have it NAO".
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Just got to remember that STO uses the best F2P model in the industry, I like being able to play all the content with all the players, I don't mind if I don't always have the most fancy and elite ship on the market.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
Career Officer
# 4
11-18-2012, 01:16 AM
I have to disagree.

Cryptic has been up to these sorts of shenanigans since STO went live as pay to play WITH a cash store. All PWE has done is loosened the reigns to allow Cryptic to do all the things they wish Atari would have let them do in the first place.

PWE might not be a good company, I won't argue there, but Cryptic isn't exactly the helpless victim you make it out to be.
Joined August 2008
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
I have to disagree.

Cryptic has been up to these sorts of shenanigans since STO went live as pay to play WITH a cash store. All PWE has done is loosened the reigns to allow Cryptic to do all the things they wish Atari would have let them do in the first place.

PWE might not be a good company, I won't argue there, but Cryptic isn't exactly the helpless victim you make it out to be.
Well I admit I don't know the full story behind Cryptic, but my experience with F2P games and their real money elements comes from my experience with Nexon's Maplestory. Seeing PW splash their brand all over STO gave me the impression that Cryptic had no choice, but you're right, cryptic might be behind all the money decisions.

My only point is to follow the money.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Cryptic has been up to these sorts of shenanigans since STO went live as pay to play WITH a cash store
Too bad that STO has never been pay-2-play, the store that launched didn't offer anything that would make you unstoppable, infact it barely had anything on release as I remember.

STO is the very definition of free-2-play, you don't have to pay any money to play the game, you just can spend money to get fancy new costumes or high tier ships which while being cool, are not pay-2-win, usually just having a fancy console to show off with during a battle. All of this is earn-able with a few weeks of dilithium grind as well.

I am frankly getting sick of the Cryptic-PWE hate. They are great developers and have the friendliest MMO model in the industry next to Planetside 2. You can criticize the direction of the game with the Reputation grinding and the lack of story missions but to criticise them as making a Pay-2-win MMO is completely without a basis.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
Career Officer
# 7
11-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas12255 View Post
Too bad that STO has never been pay-2-play, the store that launched didn't offer anything that would make you unstoppable, infact it barely had anything on release as I remember.
... I don't think you understand what pay to play means. Pay to play is generally defined as having to purchase the game and keep up a regular paid subscription in order to access the game servers, STO fell under this definition until it went free to play under PWE.

How much the store had is irrelevant, the mere fact that it had a store is. They were double dipping and had every intention of expanding on it.
Joined August 2008
Career Officer
# 8
11-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas12255 View Post
(A) Too bad that STO has never been pay-2-play, the store that launched didn't offer anything that would make you unstoppable, infact it barely had anything on release as I remember.

(B) I am frankly getting sick of the Cryptic-PWE hate. They are great developers and have the friendliest MMO model in the industry next to Planetside 2. You can criticize the direction of the game with the Reputation grinding and the lack of story missions but to criticise them as making a Pay-2-win MMO is completely without a basis.
(A) cstore did not hit untill April the 5th 2 month after sto had launched as to what came out with it all i can say its was under the old calendar system it was called C-Store Items

(B)guess what you get to voice your opinion guess what so dose every one elss if its not your cup of tea guess what dont look at it or dont reply to it
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Career Officer
# 9
11-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Quote:
... I don't think you understand what pay to play means. Pay to play is generally defined as having to purchase the game and keep up a regular paid subscription in order to access the game servers, STO fell under this definition until it went free to play under PWE.

How much the store had is irrelevant, the mere fact that it had a store is. They were double dipping and had every intention of expanding on it.
I supposed he means Pay-To-Win

Tons of MMOs have cash shops regardless if its P2P or F2P

Lets look at some high profile games that have recently been released

Secret World - Subscription + Cash Shop
Guild Wars 2 - Pay once + Cash Shop
TERA - Subscription + Cash Shop
SWTOR - Subscription but no Cash shop (Will have one when F2P)

Going way back I think City of Heroes had a cash shop as well. It's nothing new.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-18-2012, 04:44 AM
Quote:

This. And it eventually got to the point that, even though we were all paying subscription fees, the only place new 'content' could be had was the C-Store.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online