Career Officer
# 11
11-18-2012, 08:13 AM
I for one hold Cryptic accountable. PWE is a relatively new part of the equation and as such. can not be blamed for the path STO was set upon long before they purchased the game.

This IP has been mishandled from the get go, and cryptic bit off more than the could chew so to speak. They never should have gotten the IP, but through slick talks and the failure of the original Developer, they got in.

Cryptic has proved time and again, they are NOT willing to listen to rational well thought out suggestions by the playerbase, until, the uproar on the forums gets outside attention.

This was tru in Alpha, Closed Beta, Open Beta and the 3 years that the game has been up and running.

While i understand some people honestly like the game, and others hate it just for the fact Cryptic is handling it, most players i have had the pleasure of meeting from STO say the same thing. Cryptic just will not listen.

So stop blaming everyone under the sun EXCEPT for the ones responsible, CRYPTIC.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas12255 View Post
Just got to remember that STO uses the best F2P model in the industry, I like being able to play all the content with all the players, I don't mind if I don't always have the most fancy and elite ship on the market.
Best F2P model in the industry? For who? I'll give you a hint: it's not the player. Spend an hour in GW2 and you'll feel the difference; it's quite refreshing to play a 'free' game and not have grind after grind to trudge through in order to earn anything meaningful. In that game, the ride is where the fun is at--not the carrot at the end of the stick.

Cryptic develops the game. Cryptic is responsible. Period.
Career Officer
# 13
11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrayven View Post
This. And it eventually got to the point that, even though we were all paying subscription fees, the only place new 'content' could be had was the C-Store.
What the C/Z-Store offers isn't really content, more like goodies for players to enhance their playing experience. Generally "content" refers to new stories and missions and such. Nowadays Cryptic seems to be rolling out new content in the form of "adventure zones" like Nukara and now New Romulus, and have, for all intents and purposes, outsourced more traditional story-driven missions to the Foundry authors.
Ensign
# 14
11-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
(A) cstore did not hit untill April the 5th 2 month after sto had launched as to what came out with it all i can say its was under the old calendar system it was called C-Store Items

(B)guess what you get to voice your opinion guess what so dose every one elss if its not your cup of tea guess what dont look at it or dont reply to it
I may be remembering wrong, but in 99% certain that the game launched with Ferengi and Klingon Fed captains in the c-store, and there was a big uproar at the time.
Lieutenant
# 15
11-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Cryptic has lied to us over and over again. The problem isnt what they charge us or zen or microtransactions or even when they made us pay for subscriptions.

The problem is an integrity issue.

And the integrity issue revolves around time gates. From the start, there were producers and devs eager to time gate players. Craig Z was the only one I can recall who ever stood up and said hey heres an idea, lets make a fun game.

Time gating players and forcing them to spend XYZ amount of time to get through ABC Hoops or gate to earn an item or advance a skill is a slap in the face of players who want to spend their time having fun rather than working like a mule.

Cryptic is doing the carrot and mule trick. They hold rewards and the carrot beyond the mules nose and if you dont like it well there is always the Zen store to make things easier for you.

Then they intentionally destroy the value of Zen so if you want to buy Zen to make things easier well you have to buy just a bit more of it. Everytime anybody gets close to the goal they move it just a bit further away.

Thats what players dont like and thats why they feel cheated. Craig Z used to promise us they wouldnt increase the grind just to give us things to do. Then he moved to COO job and others stepped in and guess what ....

Does anybody ask ... is this fun for players.... anymore ? When Craig Z ran the show he put that as the #1 top filter. Its why we didnt have stupid death penalties and now we do.

They took away our log in bonus and bash and censor anybody who suggests that it get put back. The log in bonus was popular and made things easier and fun for players. We cant have that. The game needs to be tedious and boring. And if you dont like it well give us money and we may help ease the boredom a bit by letting you buy dilithium on an exchange.

These guys could care less about players having fun which is why my friends list seems to be a fair bit emptier when I log on these days.

They arent going to wake up until zen sales fall sharply and the zen players will be the last to turn out the lights because obviously they love the game enough to support it out of pocket. Honestly nobody cares if anyone has a tier 3 fleet hall if nobody is ever in it.

By the time these guys wake up and realize a fun game is a good idea for all it will be too late.

Gating peoples time and forcing them into grind missions just to get gear and making them do it for 40 hours or more to achieve a set reward is just insulting to every player in the game. As bad as the low drop rates were at least it was marginally random and fun. Cryptic could have easily improved the drop rates, left things alone, brought out the new content, and everybody would have been ecstatic. But no.... they had to reduce dilithium in the game, reduce fleet marks in the game, and worry about gating their players time.

And they lied to us to do it and that tells you they knew they were on the wrong path before they posted the enter here sign.
Rihannsu
# 16
11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpants View Post
I may be remembering wrong, but in 99% certain that the game launched with Ferengi and Klingon Fed captains in the c-store, and there was a big uproar at the time.
that may very well be the Cstore items but the game did not launched with a Cstore
the age of launcher... is over...!! the time of the ARC has come!!!!!!!!!
One ARC to rule them all, One ARC to find them,
One ARC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
actual joining date = no one cares!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
What the C/Z-Store offers isn't really content, more like goodies for players to enhance their playing experience. Generally "content" refers to new stories and missions and such. Nowadays Cryptic seems to be rolling out new content in the form of "adventure zones" like Nukara and now New Romulus, and have, for all intents and purposes, outsourced more traditional story-driven missions to the Foundry authors.
Well, you're right, I was sort of playing fast and loose with the definition of 'content,' using the word the way Cryptic does. Going by your definition, however, you're right: Cryptic did go a full year (give or take) collecting sub money but adding no content to the game prior to the PWE takeover.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 7 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
11-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Well now, lets remember this, Atari was in charge before Perfectworld. Just because they made Pong and PacMan doesn't mean they're any less greedy.
Rihannsu
# 19
11-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtassadar View Post
Well now, lets remember this, Atari was in charge before Perfectworld. Just because they made Pong and PacMan doesn't mean they're any less greedy.
you need to look at what was dun in the frist year to the last 2 even look as to how many FS was dun in that frist year to the last 2 some say 2800 was more Atari FS then PWE but hey this my 2 dilithium

to me game was better under Atari then it has been under PWE again thats my 2 dilithium
the age of launcher... is over...!! the time of the ARC has come!!!!!!!!!
One ARC to rule them all, One ARC to find them,
One ARC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
actual joining date = no one cares!!!!
Career Officer
# 20
11-18-2012, 01:16 PM
We definitely need Atari to buy back Cryptic, then slash 3/4's of the developers, throw in some more pay to win and we should make New Romulus cost 3000 zen to gain access. Then PvP should cost 100 DL per match. We also need to charge 5000 zen per character for a game update to allow craptastic Intel cards to work. Then we should be golden.
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?