Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lieutenant
I sent a message to Cryptic/PWE about the game crashing problem and I got a reply!

Quote:
We are currently investigating the issue since it has been reported by many users.

Here are some possible solutions, which are only temporary while the developers look for a better solution:

Do check to make sure your video drivers are updated, and try lowering in-game graphics as well to test, particularly the advanced settings.

One work around we got from developers is to try deleting or renaming the GamePrefs.pref in the C:\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\localdata (folder location may be in Windows User data or other location depending on where you installed the game. ) or in the C:\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata folder.
Regards,

The Perfect World Tech Support Team
If this does work, PASS THIS AROUND TO OTHER USERS!
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/lightspeedpurple/Star%20Trek/PhoXo27.png
Career Officer
# 2 Did not work but this did!
11-17-2012, 06:51 AM
DId not work but this did.

So far from what i am noticing this has fixed 75% of all people issue with the graphics card crashes made by season 7.

Please ONLY install this if you a integrated intel graphics card. I can not predict what it will do on other systems. This is a driver downgrade you will need to overwrite your current drivers. During the install you will have a few min where your screen will go black, don't panic just wait.

Following the install, I was able to restore my graphics to there proper settings (recommended levels on STO )

you still seem to get a SMALL stick every now and then and although the stick for a third of a second is annoying it will not affect your gameplay.

If this works, please update your tickets and let them know what you did, Please make sure they have all your system info so they can pin down any systems that are still having the problems after this. Happy Gaming

I installed the following Drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/conf...ws+7+(64-bit)*
Stonewall@LordHarconan

Lifetime Member
Vice Admiral of the Omega Family Fleet
(228 members and growing)

Last edited by earlofthar; 11-17-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Inadvisable. This 'fix' downgrades graphics drivers and causes secondary issues. Please stop spamming.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online

Last edited by robertcrayven; 11-17-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Career Officer
# 4 Posted
11-17-2012, 08:38 AM
I have posted this in all area's that pertain to this thread. I will continue because since I am the one that started on the thread on the tribble server and reported the problem first. I wish people that have the integrated graphics issue like I did to have the ablity to solve it.

It worked for me and 14 others so far, if it did not work for you then sorry about your luck, please inform on your ticket you created, what you did and what it did not work. So PWE can continue to work on your specific problem.

Everyone computer runs a different type of Software and Hardware.

I as this post stated, Run a Integrated Intel HD graphics card with windows 7.. and this worked.

Good luck with your issue, and keep your flame toward the people that created the issue, not us that are helping people solve thiers.
Stonewall@LordHarconan

Lifetime Member
Vice Admiral of the Omega Family Fleet
(228 members and growing)
Commander
# 5
11-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlofthar View Post
I have posted this in all area's that pertain to this thread. I will continue because since I am the one that started on the thread on the tribble server and reported the problem first. I wish people that have the integrated graphics issue like I did to have the ablity to solve it.

It worked for me and 14 others so far, if it did not work for you then sorry about your luck, please inform on your ticket you created, what you did and what it did not work. So PWE can continue to work on your specific problem.

Everyone computer runs a different type of Software and Hardware.

I as this post stated, Run a Integrated Intel HD graphics card with windows 7.. and this worked.

Good luck with your issue, and keep your flame toward the people that created the issue, not us that are helping people solve thiers.
Your fix worked for me! I'm playing with the old drivers at probably 90-95% of what I used to be. I hardly notice a difference now. Crisp, clear graphics, and fast load times. No crashes (in having explored ground +space). Thank you so much Now the problem becomes, what does PWE do about the new drivers that are crashing their poor coding?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/dofftrader/yoreantiques/DOFFtrader.gif
Ensign
# 6
11-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the solution. I did not download that exact driver but I was able to use another older one already present on the system (using the option to tell windows which driver to use) and it works nearly perfectly (I get a slight "stutter" now and then,but it does not crash to the desktop).

We have something incompatible with newer Intel HD integrated drivers that much is certain. The question is: is the issue on Cryptic's side or Intel's? I don't know. I do know though that it's probably more likely to get a developer to fix their code than it is to get Intel to fix their driver for a specific game.

Last edited by chroncrossed2; 11-18-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Lieutenant
# 7
11-20-2012, 12:00 AM
I did what cryptic told me to do and it seems to work fine now
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/lightspeedpurple/Star%20Trek/PhoXo27.png
Ensign
# 8
11-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralsvak View Post
I did what cryptic told me to do and it seems to work fine now
What did they say to do? I've started to try another solution just for the heck of it that I saw in another thread. Basically just change the video memory max to 768 in the troubleshooting section under game options. It's defaulted to AUTO and the thought was that the game with its new coding is sending too much info to the video card and it's crashing. By setting a limit the game should not crash the video driver. I haven't had a lot of time to test it out but will later. I did initally get a crash when i set it to 1024 so I just need to test it on 768.

If that does not help I'm just sticking with the driver downgrade I did originally until Cryptic fixes the coding. Unless whatever Cryptic suggested to you works for me too.
Lieutenant
# 9
11-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroncrossed2 View Post
What did they say to do? I've started to try another solution just for the heck of it that I saw in another thread. Basically just change the video memory max to 768 in the troubleshooting section under game options. It's defaulted to AUTO and the thought was that the game with its new coding is sending too much info to the video card and it's crashing. By setting a limit the game should not crash the video driver. I haven't had a lot of time to test it out but will later. I did initally get a crash when i set it to 1024 so I just need to test it on 768.

If that does not help I'm just sticking with the driver downgrade I did originally until Cryptic fixes the coding. Unless whatever Cryptic suggested to you works for me too.
Read my first post
Ensign
# 10
11-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralsvak View Post
Read my first post
I see. I thought you were talking about something else they suggested. I tried that all in the first post before. It had no effect for me. I still got crashes.