Career Officer
# 1 It really isn't fun...
11-19-2012, 05:41 AM
I really had that realization as I "played" today. I get home and start working to get my daily dilithium...and realize, if I'm going to progress this will the majority of my playtime on weekdays. Grinding the at least 6 different currencies we have in this game and not actually enjoying just playing it.

As I stated elsewhere...I already have a job.
Captain
# 2
11-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Omg, as soon as a game becomes a job then take a break! I've said it elsewhere (and forgive me for stating the obvious), but games are created to get players to play the game. Season 7 may have created a sense of *need* that gets players to .... play the game.

Could it be that any frustrations is really less about the numbers (Dilithium costs, Reputation, Marks, etc), but more that the player-base is feeling like the game is turning into a job?

Humbly speaking, if anyone plays every day, then it IS more like a job at the same time, any day you play you are progressing in the game. Shoot, at least you get to play daily, some people (like me) can only play once a week!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Career Officer
# 3
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't understand the acrimony over the new season. It's like people are really not playing to actually play, rather to just acquire high end gear and piles of dilithium.

Do we forget that the reason that you acquire this stuff is to aid in your playing of the game (or as some people call it grinding)? Running the missions is what you do in a game, and the reward structure is set up in a way that pays off for those who run the missions. I don't understand what everyone wants... it's baffling.

The same missions are (mostly) still there, still working about the same as they ever did, plus some cool new ones. Go play them. Stop worrying about currency and economy and tech drops. Just play the damned game! That's why we log on in the first place.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
11-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azniadeet View Post
I don't understand the acrimony over the new season. It's like people are really not playing to actually play, rather to just acquire high end gear and piles of dilithium.

Do we forget that the reason that you acquire this stuff is to aid in your playing of the game (or as some people call it grinding)? Running the missions is what you do in a game, and the reward structure is set up in a way that pays off for those who run the missions. I don't understand what everyone wants... it's baffling.

The same missions are (mostly) still there, still working about the same as they ever did, plus some cool new ones. Go play them. Stop worrying about currency and economy and tech drops. Just play the damned game! That's why we log on in the first place.
The problem is that the structure and design of the game has put loot on a pedestal; they're employing the carrot-on-a-stick method here, placing loot at the end of various grinds and time-gates in order to compel you to invest time--and money--in the game.

Unfortunately, as with all games that work this way, once you get your carrot and look around, you realize the whole game was about getting the carrot. What to do now? Most either find a new carrot or a new game.

Example: I really want to play the game in a specific ship, but I would have to endure a dilithium grind in order to get there. Once I've earned the dilithium and can afford the new ship, I'm likely burnt out on the content I wish I could have done in the ship in the first place.
Career Officer
# 5 Grind Not Fun
11-19-2012, 09:14 AM
In responce to just play the game. before season 7 you got imediate reward not always what you wanted but somthing. the anticapation was part of the joy. now is just grind and wait and wait. and hell yes we want the gear what is point of grinding months to get the gear you needed for the grind thats over?????? you are in a shrinking minority if you think this is grand and wonderfull. the f2p peps leaving in droves and revinues have to be suffering. eather they shot themselves in the foot or they actualy want to kill the game. if the first a major rethink and revamp needed bad.
Career Officer
# 6
11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
i agree the grind is not fun, the new scenary is nice, but rewards should be a result of completing story line missions, not busy work. My boffs still can not do much of anything in season 7, except the grind on new romulas.

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 11-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Captain
# 7
11-19-2012, 09:25 AM
It's pretty simple really.

Items as content, that's how the whole game is set up. Period.

The irony of season 7 is also how they were promoting it saying "you now know exactly when you will get your gear"...
Well, couldn't you imagine the excitement might actually lie in not knowing and then the surprise when it happens?

People generally ask for new types of gameplay or more story, what they think is "content" but that just isn't happening.

You are dealing with generally intelligent adult people here, having to move to an item and click "f" 10 times is just degrading really compared to the capacity people have.

So in the end you have developers building time wasters, such as gates, which is probably the ultimate budget coding time waster, since it requires zero animations just you being afk having to wait, in return for rewards.

And so the complaint in season 7 is partly the reward is now tiny and the time wasters are astronomical.

/edit

ps.

My person complaint is, by their own admission they earn plenty of c-store and lockboxes, so there should be no reason drain us further.
There simply is no reason why we couldn't have kept what we had and they had given us entirely new gear.

It's like season 7 was all about killing the stf rewards into a rushed reputation system. If things are going so great, why did you have to do that?

Last edited by vestereng; 11-19-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Captain
# 8
11-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrumnsa View Post
I really had that realization as I "played" today. I get home and start working to get my daily dilithium...and realize, if I'm going to progress this will the majority of my playtime on weekdays. Grinding the at least 6 different currencies we have in this game and not actually enjoying just playing it.

As I stated elsewhere...I already have a job.
Just a little food for thought, but where is it written that we must pursue all six currencies at once? I admit I have not logged in since Season 7 deployed. Are we required to grind our starbase before we start grinding the embasy on New Romulus? Why not focus on just one and then move on to the other when it is finished? It isn't like the grinds are going anywhere. And the faster we grind through it, the faster we exhaust it.

I do not like the grind or die mentality that Cryptic has adopted, but it is what it is. We either play it or don't. But unless there's some particular reason why it all has to be done at once, then why not simply pick something and focus on it.

It only becomes a second job if you make it into one. I cannot and will not try to tell others how to play. All I can do is share my own insights on things. If they are of value to others, then great. If they are not, then that's great too.

But one thing that only seems to make sense: If you are not having fun, then peerhaps you should be asking yourself why you continue to play. If the reasons have nothing to do with the grindfest content, then perhaps you should consider minimizing your involvement with the grind and maximizing your involvement with the reasons you still play.

This may be Cryptic's game, but we make it what it is for ourselves. It's all a matter of personal choice.

LLAP
\\//,
I'm not really a John Galt,
but I play one on the forums...
Captain
# 9
11-19-2012, 09:39 AM
So if I get a disconnect right before I am about to nade a group of npcs and we lose the optional, I made it what it is?

Or if I go into the c-store and count 2 klingon outfits vs the 20 fed ones, it's only my relativistic perception of reality?

The whole modern relativism free individual personal freedom speech just makes me laugh.

"Look inwards and meditate on your motvation and feelings" lmao

If you get a hammer in your face and spit your teeth out and I tell you it's a personal choice to have negative feelings what would you reply to that.

Of course it's justified to complain about external faults in the world; in fact moreso, that's the only way anyone EVER got anything done in the past.
Captain
# 10
11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Wanna have some fun ?

Walk away from all the grinds in this game, put on you ground battle gear and goto the Defera battle zone.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to maul borg hand-to-hand or with grenades, till this weekend. The rewards arent very big but the fun blowing stuff up and swinging my bat'leth made me forget this games big problems, just for a while.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG