Captain
# 11
11-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I'd forgotten how much fun it is to maul borg hand-to-hand or with grenades, till this weekend. The rewards arent very big but the fun blowing stuff up and swinging my bat'leth made me forget this games big problems, just for a while.

Exactly thats the problem ,the game no longer has rewards or better said rewards which can be obtained in your lifetime.People (humans) as is known from other games like things like loot (one of the reason Borderlands has success).

Reputation is not loot or reward .Lets say you go in a new place and have to gain reputation with those people ,first you work for them and they will give you something for your work ,not only reputation .In real life you will gain reputation only by staying in the "new place" from my example.Yes in everyday life reputation (good or bad) is a reward...but in a game you cant consider reputation a reward because people do not have feelings for NPCs....nothing can change this nor I say thats fair but this is how humans work.People like to feel that they progress ,they like to collect stuffs they like goals for their lifetime not to wait .

As for rewards...it doesnt have to be anything like new ships or uniforms which take long development time .People like to show other people "look I have this thing which is better than yours" (team fortress 2).You only have to look at why other games which have worse gameplay but still have people .
Captain
# 12
11-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
So if I get a disconnect right before I am about to nade a group of npcs and we lose the optional, I made it what it is?

Or if I go into the c-store and count 2 klingon outfits vs the 20 fed ones, it's only my relativistic perception of reality?

The whole modern relativism free individual personal freedom speech just makes me laugh.

"Look inwards and meditate on your motvation and feelings" lmao

If you get a hammer in your face and spit your teeth out and I tell you it's a personal choice to have negative feelings what would you reply to that.

Of course it's justified to complain about external faults in the world; in fact moreso, that's the only way anyone EVER got anything done in the past.
I'd be pissed too if I got disconnected right before nailing an optional. But are disconnect's always Cryptic's fault? There are many factors that can affect connection stability between the clinet and server. Your own ISP could be at fault because something decided to break right at that moment and interrupt service.

And don't get me started on the inequity between the UFP and KDF. I've screamed at the top of my virtual lungs for Cryptic to actually finish the KDF... and I am not even a KDF player.

When I talked of the game being what we make it, I was keeping in context of the changes that came with Season 7. it IS our individual personal choice whether or not we try to take on all branches of the grind tree Cryptic has created. Nothing prevents us from focusing on one at a time.

And your angst may prevent you from seeing the truth, but yes. reflecting on whatever it is that keeps us playing and deciding to focus more on that than on the things that make us consider leaving IS the answer to restoring whatever fun we ourselves can find.

Whenever life hands you lemons, you either make lemonade or find someone to whom life handed vodka...

Parts of STO are steaming piles of crap. I will not deny that. It needs a lot of work. But just remember, you get what you pay for. We are not required to spend a dime to play this game. Nothing forces us to log in and even play. So if you feel like you are subject to an unpleasant experience with the grindfests Cryptic insists on ramming down our throats, then whose fault is it? Theirs for designing it the way they did? Or yours for continuing to swallow it?

If the game has no redeeming qualities for you, you likely are not spending any money, so if you quit playing, you won't be missed, and you will be free to pursue something you find more rewarding. However, if the game does have some redeeming qualities for you, then you would do yourself a better service by focusing on them.

And by the way... complaining doesn't change anything. Things change when the people in power find either their lives, or the lives of those close to them, effected by the issues in question. When they reverse some of the Dilithium changes Season 7 brought, they did not do it because people on the forums complained. They did it because player DATA, as in how their internal metrics showed things to be, indicated that it was necessary.

People have been complaining about this or that aspect of STO since it launched, and still the topics of those complaints remains unchanged. So Season 8 is supposed to be a bog Klingon content push? They've been dangling the "Next Season" carrot for the KDF, Exploration, PvP/territorial control and other things in front of our collective noses for several seasons now. And every season that comes, it's usually something nobody asked for, or if they did, it manifests itself in a WAY that nobody asked for.

I'll fight against things like that until they go live. When they do, there is no point in fighting against it anymore. It is what it is. All I can do is look at things as they are and determine how I can adapt to it. Like I said, I have not logged in since Season 7 went live. So you see how I am dealing with the situation. I'm not going to sit here raging against something that the powers that be have no intention of changing, because as far as they are concerned, they are perfect and can do no wrong.

All I am trying to say is that each of us, as free-thinking individuals, just need to look at the situation and make up our own damned mind about it. When STO becomes something that sounds like fun to me, I'll play. If it becomes a product I consider worth supporting with my money, I'll buy some Zen... In the meantime, I am content to observe and share my conclusions. Like I said. If what I say is helpful to someonem then great. If not, then that's great too... We all make our own choices.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Captain
# 13
11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
Exactly thats the problem ,the game no longer has rewards or better said rewards which can be obtained in your lifetime.People (humans) as is known from other games like things like loot (one of the reason Borderlands has success).

Reputation is not loot or reward .Lets say you go in a new place and have to gain reputation with those people ,first you work for them and they will give you something for your work ,not only reputation .In real life you will gain reputation only by staying in the "new place" from my example.Yes in everyday life reputation (good or bad) is a reward...but in a game you cant consider reputation a reward because people do not have feelings for NPCs....nothing can change this nor I say thats fair but this is how humans work.People like to feel that they progress ,they like to collect stuffs they like goals for their lifetime not to wait .

As for rewards...it doesnt have to be anything like new ships or uniforms which take long development time .People like to show other people "look I have this thing which is better than yours" (team fortress 2).You only have to look at why other games which have worse gameplay but still have people .
TIL 2 months > average human life expectancy.
Captain
# 14
11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
The problem is that the structure and design of the game has put loot on a pedestal; they're employing the carrot-on-a-stick method here, placing loot at the end of various grinds and time-gates in order to compel you to invest time--and money--in the game.

Unfortunately, as with all games that work this way, once you get your carrot and look around, you realize the whole game was about getting the carrot. What to do now? Most either find a new carrot or a new game.

Example: I really want to play the game in a specific ship, but I would have to endure a dilithium grind in order to get there. Once I've earned the dilithium and can afford the new ship, I'm likely burnt out on the content I wish I could have done in the ship in the first place.

How has it changed? The only difference is before it took you a week to get your carrot, and since it was such a low hanging carrot it had been dragged in the mud and wasn't even very satisfying. At least now you have long term character development with the reputation skills.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
11-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
I'd be pissed too if I got disconnected right before nailing an optional. But are disconnect's always Cryptic's fault? There are many factors that can affect connection stability between the clinet and server. Your own ISP could be at fault because something decided to break right at that moment and interrupt service.

And don't get me started on the inequity between the UFP and KDF. I've screamed at the top of my virtual lungs for Cryptic to actually finish the KDF... and I am not even a KDF player.

When I talked of the game being what we make it, I was keeping in context of the changes that came with Season 7. it IS our individual personal choice whether or not we try to take on all branches of the grind tree Cryptic has created. Nothing prevents us from focusing on one at a time.

And your angst may prevent you from seeing the truth, but yes. reflecting on whatever it is that keeps us playing and deciding to focus more on that than on the things that make us consider leaving IS the answer to restoring whatever fun we ourselves can find.

Whenever life hands you lemons, you either make lemonade or find someone to whom life handed vodka...

Parts of STO are steaming piles of crap. I will not deny that. It needs a lot of work. But just remember, you get what you pay for. We are not required to spend a dime to play this game. Nothing forces us to log in and even play. So if you feel like you are subject to an unpleasant experience with the grindfests Cryptic insists on ramming down our throats, then whose fault is it? Theirs for designing it the way they did? Or yours for continuing to swallow it?

If the game has no redeeming qualities for you, you likely are not spending any money, so if you quit playing, you won't be missed, and you will be free to pursue something you find more rewarding. However, if the game does have some redeeming qualities for you, then you would do yourself a better service by focusing on them.

And by the way... complaining doesn't change anything. Things change when the people in power find either their lives, or the lives of those close to them, effected by the issues in question. When they reverse some of the Dilithium changes Season 7 brought, they did not do it because people on the forums complained. They did it because player DATA, as in how their internal metrics showed things to be, indicated that it was necessary.

People have been complaining about this or that aspect of STO since it launched, and still the topics of those complaints remains unchanged. So Season 8 is supposed to be a bog Klingon content push? They've been dangling the "Next Season" carrot for the KDF, Exploration, PvP/territorial control and other things in front of our collective noses for several seasons now. And every season that comes, it's usually something nobody asked for, or if they did, it manifests itself in a WAY that nobody asked for.

I'll fight against things like that until they go live. When they do, there is no point in fighting against it anymore. It is what it is. All I can do is look at things as they are and determine how I can adapt to it. Like I said, I have not logged in since Season 7 went live. So you see how I am dealing with the situation. I'm not going to sit here raging against something that the powers that be have no intention of changing, because as far as they are concerned, they are perfect and can do no wrong.

All I am trying to say is that each of us, as free-thinking individuals, just need to look at the situation and make up our own damned mind about it. When STO becomes something that sounds like fun to me, I'll play. If it becomes a product I consider worth supporting with my money, I'll buy some Zen... In the meantime, I am content to observe and share my conclusions. Like I said. If what I say is helpful to someonem then great. If not, then that's great too... We all make our own choices.
/agree on about 90%.

I haven't loged in, myself, since before S7. And that's probably the only thing that Cryptic might just understand. That and their C-Store bottom line going down as we all can plainly see what motivates Cryptic.

Altho, after SWG's NGE, SOE watched the subs and the players hit the deck with a loss of over 2/3rds and due to not much more than developer ego, turned a blind eye to everything that was going on around them. Not since then have I seen dev egos get in the way of a game, and a great IP, until now Cryptic.

I now play another game, even tho I have a LT, my STO toons are in moth balls, and I keep watch for anything that might get me interested in STO again. So far? No interest what-so-ever.
Captain
# 16
11-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
TIL 2 months > average human life expectancy.
why 2 months and not a year ?

TIL 1 year > average human life expectancy.