Captain
# 101
11-20-2012, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvehero View Post
Hmm... from what I've seen in Trek, Science officers do nothing but theorize. Engis do all the actual work.

But overall, the effect/clear relationship is a bit shoddy... According to description tac team clears tac debuffs and boarding parties, sci team clears sci debuffs, and eng team clears subsystem disables.

VM is a sci debuff... that disables subsystems. Then again, so is Tykens and Siphon. Does eng team fix disables caused by these?
tykens and siphon dont actually disable anything so no, engy team doesnt clear any disables caused by them.

VM is interesting in that the acutal debuff is to cause subsystem disables, thats why science team used to clear the vm but leave any disabled systems disabled until the timer ran out/were fixed by engy team.

its nice to see that engy team will be useful again though, tac team still needs a major looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Lt. Commander
# 102
11-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
anyone else think its weird that epts just got balanced, only to have a doff now be introduced to make it a "must have" again?

heals shields and gives you restance to all the evil science out there!
A little bonus to sensors or dampers? That makes it a must-have? My experience is that investing heavily in these skills give minimal effect, compared to 3 points.
Captain
# 103
11-20-2012, 02:46 AM
TOS was more focused. TNG saw a great deal of dual/multi officers. Tac/Ops, Sci/Ops/Eng, Eng/Sci, etc, etc, etc. The later series followed what TNG started. So it's almost a case of TNG capabilities with TOS labels.
Captain
# 104
11-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:
A little bonus to sensors or dampers? That makes it a must-have? My experience is that investing heavily in these skills give minimal effect, compared to 3 points.
thats why i put the "must have" in quotations. it gives it that edge over the other emergency too powers that it used to have and quite frankly makes it better as a choice in any situation now over the other ones.

it sounds like itd belongs more with the emergency power to aux power then the emergency power to shield power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 105
11-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Bort, here's an interesting concept - Disable all doffs and consoles for pvp. This one simple move would address so many "balance" issues. This type of thread / debate would no longer be necessary.

The only thing you would have to worry about balancing is the bridge officer powers and carrier pets.
Then this game in terms of pvp would be about ship, skill and team. Youl'd be happy because there would be "less" work required and we would be happy because the majority of the perceived imbalances no longer exist.

At the end of the day we all want to have fun.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Career Officer
# 106
11-20-2012, 04:27 AM
They claimed it would be too hard or impossible to implement that solution.

Bah, the funny thing is that it's getting to the point that the only way to combat that cheese is to have a proper team with overlapping powers. So I guess you could say they are balancing the game towards more teamplay and less pugging?

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Lieutenant
# 107
11-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Bort thank you for posting.

At this point i really don?t care about balance give us proper rewards maps and work on pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 108
11-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
thats why i put the "must have" in quotations. it gives it that edge over the other emergency too powers that it used to have and quite frankly makes it better as a choice in any situation now over the other ones.

it sounds like itd belongs more with the emergency power to aux power then the emergency power to shield power.
I think EPtoA got the better deal. +30 to shield and hull heals is like 2 extra consoles
Captain
# 109
11-20-2012, 05:22 AM
I like the EpTA bonus ! excellent for science team healing builds. Might reach 5k science team III with it !
Captain
# 110
11-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
I think EPtoA got the better deal. +30 to shield and hull heals is like 2 extra consoles
Like chocolate covered chocolate covered chocolate for those that have been running AtB/EPtA builds...