Captain
# 61
11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
All equipment in this game is OP then, because it aids you in defeating your enemies, be they AI bags of hitpoints, or skilled fellow players. Would you all rather have cookie-cutter ships with pre-assigned abilities and equipment that leave you with no customization or choice?

This community throws around the term "Overpowered" like confetti. Back it up with tests and metrics, and we'll be happy to review for tuning, rather than tossing around hyperbole as if there's no tomorrow.

(Yes, I recognize the irony in the way that statement is phrased.)

It's very possible that you're correct in some of these cases, and we've come out and admitted as much in the past, and tuned the abilities accordingly. But jumping to conclusions and labeling something as "OP" before you even have the facts on its function will do nothing but hurt the credibility of the communal voice of this subforum.
I'm saying this in the nicest possible way, but the burden of proof is not on the community. We aren't Cryptic's QA or PvP balancing department (sadly ) and while many of us are happy to put in hours on projects or things to help other players out of a sheer love of the game, we don't get paid and we only have so much time to donate to something that's supposed to be recreational.

Wouldn't the ideal approach to be to test new items or ships or whatever in-house before releasing them onto Holodeck? If the staff aren't confident in their abilities there are a lot of folk here who'll gladly sign up so long as they know for sure their feedback's being listened to.

I don't know. It seems like drawing up ideas without testing them and then offloading them onto the live server, then expecting the players to call for buffs/nerfs is a lot more backwards than just testing them at Cryptic studios in the first place.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 62
11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
(I coulda sworn that Science Team used to do this, but that functionality doesn't seem to be present. It makes more sense for Eng Team to counter a Subsystem Disable, though.)
Does that mean a change to Tac Team?

edit: And what about abilities/consoles that repair subsystems?
Captain
# 63
Quote:
Side Note: I just noticed, when looking over this new VM doff, that although Eng Team cured individual systems being offline, it did not dispel the ongoing Viral Matrix process. We've decided to allow Eng Team to remove the debuff altogether.

So, using Eng Team on yourself while under the effects of VM will not only turn any offline systems back on, it will also prevent further systems from being turned off for the duration of that application of VM.

(I coulda sworn that Science Team used to do this, but that functionality doesn't seem to be present. It makes more sense for Eng Team to counter a Subsystem Disable, though.)
My understanding was that ST removed the VM debuff while ET repaired individual subsystems. However I was hit by VM a while ago and while I believe ET cleared it, ST had no effect. Some people have told me that ET is now the only skill that does anything for VM, I'm not sure when this changed or if it's intentional.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Lt. Commander
# 64
Quote:
So, using Eng Team on yourself while under the effects of VM will not only turn any offline systems back on, it will also prevent further systems from being turned off for the duration of that application of VM.
I like this change.

Quote:
I coulda sworn that Science Team used to do this.
I think when used preemptively, ST could prevent one of the original incarnations of VM back in Season 1. Maybe the functionality was also there at a later point, but I don't think I ever used ST after S1.2 to cure VM.
Captain
# 65
11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Side Note: I just noticed, when looking over this new VM doff, that although Eng Team cured individual systems being offline, it did not dispel the ongoing Viral Matrix process. We've decided to allow Eng Team to remove the debuff altogether.

This is good imo. As it currently stands I believe you have to use both Eng Team to reinitialize the disabled systems and then Sci Team to clear the viral matrix from your ship so you don't get any more systems disabled. Having to use 2 boff abilities to clear 1 ability never made sense to me so I thank you for this change.

...oh, and about those subnuc doffs...you're fixing those too right?

Last edited by skurf; 11-19-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 66
11-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
You are correct. It used to be Science Team which countered it. Prior to S5 maybe?
Empire Veteran
# 67
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:

So basically ET will clear VM, stop all after procs, and stop this new VM doff from jumping -- if it stops it from jumping does it clear on the targets it jumped to or just stop jumping from the last target it effected? I may have missed something, but how many systems can the jumped VM affect?

With that said, some reworking of the currently available science powers would be really nice.

That said, GW with a slightly better hold would be great. Within reason of course.
CPB with slightly more shield cutting. It's worthless ATM with 1.45 shield modifiers and 18-25k shields ;o
PSW with slightly more kinetic damage wouldn't hurt. It used to rock danoobs now they laugh and tractor me, WTF!
-X-/Pandas - Pheo
Cryptic Studios Team
# 68
11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremenoob1 View Post
So basically ET will clear VM, stop all after procs, and stop this new VM doff from jumping
Incorrect. It jumps at the moment it is deployed, so cannot be countered in time to prevent the jump (if one occurs).
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 69
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Nope. This is a Subsystem Disabled mode, not an actual "Disable" modifier.

Subsystem Repair reduces the duration on Subsystem Disabled modes.
So what exactly does Inertial Dampers do? The tooltip says "you will be disabled for much less time from abilities like Viral Matrix" - is this working or not?

Need help with PVP? Check this thread out!
Starfleet Veteran
# 70
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
All equipment in this game is OP then, because it aids you in defeating your enemies, be they AI bags of hitpoints, or skilled fellow players. Would you all rather have cookie-cutter ships with pre-assigned abilities and equipment that leave you with no customization or choice?

This community throws around the term "Overpowered" like confetti. Back it up with tests and metrics, and we'll be happy to review for tuning, rather than tossing around hyperbole as if there's no tomorrow.

(Yes, I recognize the irony in the way that statement is phrased.)

It's very possible that you're correct in some of these cases, and we've come out and admitted as much in the past, and tuned the abilities accordingly. But jumping to conclusions and labeling something as "OP" before you even have the facts on its function will do nothing but hurt the credibility of the communal voice of this subforum.
heh heh He said 'prove it' ... We could if he'd ever show up with his phasers ready....